D&D 4E DDXP 4E Rules Appendix

Tuft

First Post
Saishu_Heiki said:
In all seriousness, though, all of your examples seem legal RAW.

I have a hard time seeing how you could put a limit on it, too. The target ought to struggle just as hard to avoid being pushed into the lava as it would to being pushed next to the fighter.

Besides, it's such a continuous scale of deadliness you can put in a square, from insta-death to just uncomfortable, that it would be hard to define a limit.

The solution, of course, is to always avoid fighting near potentially dangerous scenery. :)

When I first heard about the importance of positions, positional assists, and forced movement in 4ed, I was immediately reminded of Bloodbowl (One of Games Workshop's better games, IMHO), and, frankly, much of what is getting revealed about 4ed melee just reinforces that feeling. ;) Anyway, in that game one of the surer ways to get rid of one of your opponent's characters was to set up a "pushing chain" to push it off-field out into the audience (which was a much more dangerous place than the field... ;) ).

Last edited:

breschau

First Post
Saitou said:
A Second Wind also grants a +2 to all defenses (AC, Fort, Ref, Will) until your next turn. This effect is always granted when something triggers a Second Wind, be it the character himself or another through means of Heal skill.

And that's why I defined my terms. Nothing grants a character a second wind. The character uses second wind (gaining a healing surge and the defense bonus). The heal skill and healing spells give the target a healing surge, not a second wind (hence no bonus). There is a difference. Healing surges don't grant the bonus to defenses.

Jack99

Adventurer
Is it just me, or does this text say nothing about a 20 on the save activating a healing surge? Or maybe I am going blind.

EDIT: beaten to the punch. When that is said, isn't it odd that the rule (if indeed it is in) isn't mentioned on this cheat-sheet?

Last edited:

MaelStorm

First Post
Thanks a lot. I just finished reading it. I can't say I'm happy about those new rules. But it's a good primer. Exception-based design is one of the thing I really don't like. So where's the control? Every power can say this is ok, and it's ok like it or not. At least it's fair because the monsters have special powers too.

Last edited:

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Now flanking with ranged weapons?

Here is another interesting tidbit:
Flanking said:
To flank an enemy, you and an ally must be adjacent to the enemy and on opposite sides of the enemy's space. You and your ally must be able to attack the enemy (with a melee or ranged weapon, or with an unarmed attack).
Now, that's new. Flanking with a ranged weapon. Hmm...

fedelas

First Post
thanks for the stuff!
A question, where is written in this appendix that if i roll 20 in my death saving throws i come back with 1/4 hp? (ok i read it in the designer and development article but seem unconfirmed)
EDIT: beaten! But can someone bring an answer (possibly an official one ;) )

Last edited:

Lizard

Explorer
Saishu_Heiki said:
Only if you shout, "You were the Chosen One! You were to bring balance to the Force!" while you do it. :lol:

In all seriousness, though, all of your examples seem legal RAW. This is why I was amazed by the Trickster Rogue's ability to push an enemy a number of squares equal to CA modifier. There is some potential there for such setups.

Even more, it's not limited by difficult terrain. This makes it even more useful to use on an ally.

DeusExMachina

First Post
Lizard said:
Even more, it's not limited by difficult terrain. This makes it even more useful to use on an ally.
I imagine that would be somewhat like the fighter throwing an ally over a wall of fire to get to the enemies on the other side? Potentially useful, but still pretty dangerous...

Me likes... :)

psionotic

Teemu said:
Is the "one extended rest per day" a new thing we didn't know about?

Oh wow, Yay...! Awesome change. Players will actually have to use resource management now for their 'big guns', but will be much freer with the smaller ones.

Remove ads