Spells ruling: Shatter

DungeonMaester

First Post
Does this work on a person? Can you target some one's hair or fingernails or a bone in their body?

I argued against it, and it ultimately ended the campiagn for good, but am I right or wrong? (Please use page numbers and links as sources for your agrument one way or another)

---Rusty

Jhulae

First Post
SRD said:
Shatter creates a loud, ringing noise that breaks brittle, nonmagical objects; sunders a single solid, nonmagical object; or damages a crystalline creature.

Living beings are not 'objects'. Living beings are creatures. The only creature Shatter damages are crystalline creatures.

Darklone

And it would be a little strange to allow a spell to target some body part while weapons (which can be used to destroy objects too) can't be used in that manner.

Aleolus

First Post
Magic items get a save at the standard DC (10+spell level+casting stat mod), normal items don't, and crystaline objects take pretty hefty damage from it, iirc.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Magical objects are immune to shatter, so that part is irrelevant. Objects in a creature's possession (attended items) would use the saving throw of the creature.

I have no idea why this would end the campaign for good, especially since the answer is so seemingly self-evident as Jhulae pointed out. What was the argument for allowing it, may we ask?

MarkB

Legend
Infiniti2000 said:
I have no idea why this would end the campaign for good, especially since the answer is so seemingly self-evident as Jhulae pointed out. What was the argument for allowing it, may we ask?
Just speculating, but one guess would be someone playing a warlock with Baleful Utterance, who wants to do something silly like defeating each opponent by shattering a joint in their spine.

Kat'

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Magical objects are immune to shatter, so that part is irrelevant.

Reference, please... From what I can read in the SRD, nothing makes a magical item immune to Shatter. Difference is, the item gets a Will save even if it is unattended.

Coming back to the start: Shatter works on objects and on crystalline creatures. Body parts aren't objects.

Remove ads