GM1: Bizarre Bazaar

Robichaud

Explorer
Back in the cave, Jinx donates his bedroll, waterskin, and one of his rations to Octavio. "'Ere, see if she can haul that up, make 'erself a bit more comfortable while we wait." He then proceeds to pick out a nice flat rock, and hanker down for a bit while they're waiting for the return of the ladder party.

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=upcoming availability, or lack thereof]I am going to disappear for a while at some point in the next week or so, possibly without any more warning than this. My wife and I are expecting our first child to be born any day now. When that happens, I'm sure I'll be unavailable for at least a few days, and afterwards my free time will be much reduced, which will necessarily slow things down a bit here. I hope not too much, but...

Anyway, if I disappear suddenly, now you know why.[/sblock]

Robichaud

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]Congratulations, man, and don't worry about the game too much. With any luck, we'll still be here when you get back.[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
Burtrell leads Tank, William and Serana away from the tavern, laughter and catcalls following them out the door.

"I've got me a big ladder that I used to paint me barns, now that I put the ol' mind to it. I reckon it might do for ye. Give me a hand with this door, big fella," Burtrell says as he tugs on the door of a large barn. The door swings open to a big shadowy space, and a few dozen big brown eyes turn curiously toward Burtrell's lantern. The bald halfling elbows them aside with easy familiarity as he digs in the straw at the back of their stalls, quickly unearthing one end of a wooden ladder made of sticks lashed with sturdy twine into notches cut in two long poles. After a brief interlude wrestling with sleepy cows in the dark, the ladder is carried outside and can be seen to be easily thirty feet long or more, and sturdy enough, though a bit narrow for medium-sized creatures.

Burtrell wipes his forehead and leans against the barn. "Well, there y'go. Hope it does what ye need it to. When ye bring it back, ye can just set it under the eaves there."

"Thank you, Burtrell. Your help means a lot to me," Serana says politely. "What will I owe you for the use of your ladder?"

"Oh, don't worry about it," Burtrell waves dismissively. "I'm sure someday I'll be needin' a hand from you for some little thing or other. We take care of each other; that's what neighbors do, eh?"

"Indeed," Serana says with only a touch of irony. "Well, thank you again."

Burtrell waves again, and then goes inside a small farmhouse across from the barn. Serana picks up one end of the ladder and says "Let's go, please." Her urgency is clear.

The ladder is carried through town and past Serana's home a short way into the woods when Tank and William hear the sound of rustling brush ahead, and a familiar halfling steps out into the path some twenty feet ahead.

"That's far enough. Ye can stop there." It is one of the mocking youths from the tavern. On cue, two of his friends step out from behind trees to either side of the path. All three of them carry stout staffs, held menacingly. The first one continues, "See, me'n the boys think ye owe the town a bit more than just a round of cheap beer for the use of our very valuable ladder. So why don't you just take that fat pouch of yours off your belt and drop it over here, real careful-like, and we'll call it even."

Kenku17

First Post
William has had enough with these fools, he stoically starts to walk up to the first guy and in a rather serious voice says "You know...I have had enough of you idiots! I payed for your drinks, and took no offence to your belittling. Now be off with ye, before I give you a black eye to remeber me by tommarow."

(OOC:Intimidation (1d20+1=16) yea, im probably going about this the wrong way...but I tried to talk to them, and we don't really have a good diplomat among us)

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
William drops his end of the ladder, and approaches the nearest halfling menacingly. The halfling seems dismayed by William's words, and drops his staff and backs away.

Tank leaps forward, and easily dodging a feeble swing from the halfling nearest him, and lays him out cold with a cuff that nearly removes his head from his shoulders.

The third would-be assailant quickly re-evaluates his situation and decides that perhaps he would be better off elsewhere. He drops his weapon and flees into the darkness. The first one decides that's a good idea and follows him. After only a moment's violence, the woods are quiet again.

Serana barks a short laugh. "Well, I admit it did me good to see that. There have been rumors that those boys have tried their hand at banditry. I'm glad to see they're as bad at it as they are at honest work."

(ooc: feel free to insert conversation or actions here)

Hoisting the ladder again, Tank and William continue through the forest. Before long, they reach the cave. Muffled banjo notes ring faintly from the entrance.

[sblock=baby news]She's here, and everything's just grand. I can tell that I'm unlikely to be able to maintain my previous posting rate, but I'll do my best to keep things moving. [/sblock]

jaker2003

Explorer
Tank lifts the limp halfling to his shoulder and asks Serana what sets her apart from the rest of the community.

Last edited:

Remove ads