• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Tricky Owlbear] Upcoming Releases

Napftor

Explorer
Here is a tentative roster of releases for Tricky Owlbear (so you can get your dollars ready!). These products, like the rest of our catalog, are v3.5/OGL, and are subject to change.

April
Behind the Monsters: Gargoyle
Treasure Chests, volume II
Behind the Spells: Feather Fall

May/June
Behind the Monsters: Dark Creeper
Behind the Spells: Darkness
When Heroes Fall: An adventure for PC levels 4 to 6, utilizing information from the other releases this month. Adventurers are disappearing and it's up to the PCs to unravel the mystery.

July and beyond
Behind the Spells: Compendium: A print collection of the first 36 BtS releases complete with errata and extras! We hope to have the pdf version out in the months prior to this. I know folks have been waiting and waiting and we won't let them down.
Behind the Spells: Permanency
Behind the Monsters: Naga
Behind the Monsters: Demilich and Behind the Monsters: Vegepygmy: Both of these written by noted DCC author Mike Ferguson.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
I assume that the BtM: Dark Creeper book (and the vegepygmy) will be based around the entry for said monster in Necromancer Games's Tome of Horrors Revised, since the version in WotC's Fiend Folio is closed content, yes?

I'm sure you thought of this already, but it'd be a good move to reprint the ToH's stats in your product, since otherwise it'd be covering a monster that a lot of people might not otherwise have game stats for. That said, I think that's a brilliant move on your part, since it lets you delve into the history of various nostalgic monsters that the game has largely left behind. I hope to see a lot of ToH monsters covered in greater detail in the future!

Beyond that, these look like some great releases (I can't wait to see BtM: Demilich myself)!

Napftor

Explorer
Alzrius said:
I assume that the BtM: Dark Creeper book (and the vegepygmy) will be based around the entry for said monster in Necromancer Games's Tome of Horrors Revised, since the version in WotC's Fiend Folio is closed content, yes?

Yes, indeed.

I'm sure you thought of this already, but it'd be a good move to reprint the ToH's stats in your product, since otherwise it'd be covering a monster that a lot of people might not otherwise have game stats for. That said, I think that's a brilliant move on your part, since it lets you delve into the history of various nostalgic monsters that the game has largely left behind. I hope to see a lot of ToH monsters covered in greater detail in the future!

We thought it was a good idea as well. ;) And, yes, you'll be seeing the dark creeper (and stalker) stats from ToH.

Beyond that, these look like some great releases (I can't wait to see BtM: Demilich myself)!

Thanks! I'm also looking forward to seeing what Mike comes up with on Demilich.

Napftor

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
If the print compendium does well, will we see a print compendium of the mosnters as well?

I'll hold any comment on that until we get this first print product out the door and see how it sells. That said, I'm hopeful that the BtS: Compendium won't be the last print item you see from us.

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
A lot of nice releases here, nice to see more things catching my interest then not :)

Need to get the Behind the Spell series on some steroids and pick up the pace...

Napftor

Explorer
How about Behind the Monster: Pseudodragon?

This suggestion actually brings up a good point, Anna. Do people really want to see good-aligned creatures in the series? I would think no, since BtM deals with not only where the creature came from (or first entered mainstream consciousness) but also how to fight them.

A lot of nice releases here, nice to see more things catching my interest then not

Need to get the Behind the Spell series on some steroids and pick up the pace...

That's good to hear, Vascant. And I know the pace has been slow on the BtS (especially since the heyday of producing one a week under Ronin Arts). I got a new job not terribly long ago and and it seems to have thrown off my writing groove. This release schedule is one way of jumpstarting my mojo again. :)

Vascant

Wanderer of the Underdark
Napftor said:
This suggestion actually brings up a good point, Anna. Do people really want to see good-aligned creatures in the series? I would think no, since BtM deals with not only where the creature came from (or first entered mainstream consciousness) but also how to fight them.
It doesn't only have to do with the good aligned version of the creature, this could be a prime place to explore perhaps some different flavors of the creature. Which could very quickly cover some different familiar options for demonic sorcerers

Napftor said:
That's good to hear, Vascant. And I know the pace has been slow on the BtS (especially since the heyday of producing one a week under Ronin Arts). I got a new job not terribly long ago and and it seems to have thrown off my writing groove. This release schedule is one way of jumpstarting my mojo again. :)

Work? I have heard this word before... Actually all joking aside I never had the chance to explore creating d20 software until after I retired so I know what you mean. Lets hope for once every two weeks ;) Who knows, maybe one day I will get off my lazy butt and submit something to you rather then giving my opinions all the time.

Napftor

Explorer
That's an excellent point about creating rather nasty version of, for example, the pseudodragon. And although we don't have any submission guidelines, you're more than welcome to send some ideas our way.

Remove ads