Guys with blasters, Guys with spells

Jeph

Explorer
hi Ya'll!

Just thought I'd get this idea on the nets for some general feedback.

So the PCs (I think I have 3, not sure yet) start out in a huge futureistic city. Size aint wealth, babes. This thing is poor as dirt. High crime rate, hgih poverty rate, high disease, infant mortality, and general bad stuff rate. Low wealth rate, low education rate, generally a really crappy place to live.

Ironically, this is the City-Planet dubbed New Hope, though called No Hope by those who know anything about it. The PCs aren't your average work 18 hours for part of a meal resident. They, for some reason up to the players, have scrounged, stolen, or inherited enough money for some pretty sweet phaseguns, energy swords, and general Really Cool Stuff.

And here I run into a dilemma: One of hopeful PCs for this thing is a frequenter of Enworld, so I loathe to divulge any adventure hooks......

Ah hell, I never had good judgement. :rolleyes:

So basically, a bunch of stuff happens, ending up with the PCs in a back alley with two mercenary meta-cops, a murderer, and some mysterious guy who just shot two of his henchmen through the neck. A hail of fire, bullrushes, etcetera, force the PCs into a blue swirling vortex that just *happened* to be there. Wrong place wrong time, I guess.

Well, that's all exposition, the general idea of the campaign is, a trio of guys with blasters against a bunch of guys with magic. Around the 50th shot, where did all my blaster's ammo go? well, sorry kid, turns out that you'll just have to adapt to your new environment.

For this campaign, i am *not* using classes, or the standard spellcasting system. I am using a completely flexable level system, and a casting system where every spell can be customized to the utmost.

I plan to use very few "Gm: you meet a big scray monster. PC: We beat the :):):):) out of it with our Big Magical Weapons of Badassishness" encounters, having all the natural inhabitants use every feature of the terrain to their advantage. (after all, the PCs have blasters, shouldn't the monsters and NPCs at least get a smart GM?).

So, what do you all think?

-Jeph

Last edited:

ivanhoe

First Post
they should have some sort of a renewable energy souce for their guns. it sort of takes the point out of being from the future if you get to use future stuff for like a day mabye their powerpacks should slowely rechage, like they get back 1/4 the power per day. it would make it so they would not be trigger happy and their weapons dont lose their usefulness quickly, and if their is a pc who wants infared goggles named curran you should give it to him

Jeph

Explorer
Currin! good to see that you've joined EnWorld!

Bad to see that you'l peek at all the stuff Peter and I have said about you... JK!

Yeah, that might work. Like, 1 shot recharged per half hour (or hour, for blaster rifles and heavy rifles) of no shots being fired.

*If* you can explain where your character got such state-of-the-art energy packs in a city like No Hope.

It all starts on Labor Day! Be Prepared!

Oh, and by the way, the *point* is that, though from the "future", you still must adapt.

Remove ads