D&D 4E A 4E Combat Encounter - Round by Round Descritpion

Delgar

First Post
I should state that I ran all the players and monsters, to show my players (that live in different parts of the states) what a 4E combat would look like. So they can put a face to all the things they've seen.

Vaeron said:
Very nice... Thanks for posting! Nice to see all the rules applied together like this in one place. Your players seemed to have a really good grasp of what their characters could do. Your warlock, especially, seemed to be having a lot of fun outside of constantly being on fire. And Skamos was pretty scary, too.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
Nice write-up. One thing though:
Delgar said:
Erias uses his at will power called Sacred Flame. Casting this spell does not provoke an opportunity attack.
Why did you figure that this ranged attack wouldn't provoke an Opportunity Attack? He didn't move away from the opponent, so he must have been in a threatened area when using it.

The_Gneech

Explorer
I'll take your word for it -- but the amount of square-counting and "my attack makes this happen and their attack makes that happen, which causes foe X to do the other" happening on every character's round sounds like exactly the kind of bog-the-game-down stuff that high level spells do in 3E now. Historically, some of my players have had a hard enough time remembering that they can move 6 squares, roll 1d20 to hit, and 1d8 to do damage ... I have visions of lots of blank stares as I try to get them to follow the various cascading effects that going on around them.

-The Gneech :cool:

Xorn

First Post
Exactly, they are easy to remember because they happen frequently. Oh, and speaking of which, Curse of the Dark Dream had another bonus to hit--Tira gets a bonus to attacks made with an Action Point. :)

Delgar

First Post
Doh! I was bound to miss something. :)

Xorn said:
Exactly, they are easy to remember because they happen frequently. Oh, and speaking of which, Curse of the Dark Dream had another bonus to hit--Tira gets a bonus to attacks made with an Action Point. :)

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Delgar said:
Round 2 – Reinforcements Arrive

She decides to use her at will Eyebite power which is d20+5 (+1 extra for having no allies closer to the target) vs the Priests Will Defense. Roll 11+5=16. The priest reels and clutches his head, 1d6+4 psychic damage. Roll 1+4=5 psychic damage.

Doh, Tira forgot to add the +1d6 from her curse. Curses last until the end of the encounter or the cursed target dies.

Delgar

First Post
You are correct it should have provoked my mistake. I was thinking it was a close spell. :)

Oldtimer said:
Nice write-up. One thing though:
Why did you figure that this ranged attack wouldn't provoke an Opportunity Attack? He didn't move away from the opponent, so he must have been in a threatened area when using it.

phil500

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
Doh, Tira forgot to add the +1d6 from her curse. Curses last until the end of the encounter or the cursed target dies.

I also think the DM forgot something.

I believe kobold minions have Weapon Focus: childs torso.

Vaeron

Explorer
phil500 said:
I also think the DM forgot something.

I believe kobold minions have Weapon Focus: childs torso.

They certainly should, as many children's body parts have been cropping up in recent playtests and adventures. Granted, in Raiders of Oakhurst they're gnome children so no one really cares, but still.

Remove ads