Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

Ondo

First Post
Lots of tidbits from posts by Rich Baker on Gleemax added to the first post.

Significant info on the Swordmage here.

Illusionists will have better Invisibility options than a Wizard (source). They may use the Shadow power source (source).

Necromancers are mentioned here. They use the Shadow power source (Worlds & Monsters, and here).

Rich Baker gives his guesstimate of traction for ten races from Aarakocra to Catfolk here.

Goliaths will probably be in 4e Forgotten Realms, possibly with a spot in Faerun earmarked for them so you'll know where they're from when they're released (source).

Half-Giants may be too similar to Goliaths (source).

Rich Baker hopes to have Half-Orcs on DDi pretty soon after the Player's Handbook hits (source; note this is from January). He expects to see at least a couple of returning classes (Barbarian, Druid, Bard, Sorcerer) on DDi by this summer (source); later he guesses we might see Bard or Druid by late summer or early fall (source).

Half-Orcs "imply a very ugly backstory"; they may try to change that (source).

Gnomes, Half-Orcs, and Goliaths will be mentioned in the 4e Realms products, but not dwelled on because the rules for them will be a ways off (source).

Bards, Druids, Barbarians, and Sorcerers will be in print in 2009 (source).

Sorcerers will get flying a little faster than wizards do (source).

"Multiclassing into swordmage is pretty easy for a wizard (and vice versa)" (source). Swordmages like Int and Str (source).

Genasi ability adjustments "don’t really support warlock all that well"; they have elemental manifestations, which are "really righteous racial abilities"; Firesoul and Stormsoul are two of the options (source).

Ondo

First Post
Added news that Amazon has a release date of March 17th listed for Player's Handbook II (source), and there's info from a 5th level Swordmage in an RPGA adventure here.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Ondo said:
Goliaths will probably be in 4e Forgotten Realms, possibly with a spot in Faerun earmarked for them so you'll know where they're from when they're released (source).

Half-Giants may be too similar to Goliaths (source).

Oh, good.

Not that I didn't like half-giants, but I *really* like goliaths.

Brad

Mokona

First Post
Ondo said:
release date of March 17th listed for Player's Handbook II
That's the best information I've had all week. Sooner is better when it comes to new classes given the narrow scope of each 4e class.

Ondo

First Post
Updated the first post with info from the cover of the PHB2 - that it will contain Arcane, Divine, and Primal heroes, and that it shows a Goliath and what could be a Gnome or a Shifter on the cover.

Also removed this bit, since I can't find any significant meaning in it:
Scott Rouse says "The license is done but late yesterday we added a bunch of new stuff to the SRD to cover some books coming out next year (like PH2 classes, power sources, and weapons)." (source) When someone complains, he asks "So do you want Psionics now or 12 months from now?" (source) However, the released SRD doesn't seem to include anything from future products.

Also, while ENWorld was down I copied the first post over to the Summer Camp at http://www.circvsmaximvs.com/showthread.php?t=45770.

LightPhoenix

First Post
Given the look of the Gnome that was in the one cartoon with the Tiefling, I'm guessing that's a Gnome on the cover. They look very similar, especially in the shape of the head.

Stogoe

First Post
Personally, i'd prefer to have someone whose role when the violence starts is *precisely* to cower in the corner--but who has sufficient other strengths to balance this weakness out.
This is never going to happen. 4e is specifically aiming to destroy the combat sucks/skillmonkey god dichotomy, and its counterpart. You don't get to dominate one arena by ignoring the other.

I have no interest in the combats (and don't mind mostly sitting out when they occur)--i like playing skillmonkeys, or information-gatherers, or social/influence characters. But i just don't see D&D4E having any classes that aren't combat-centric.
The designers want everyone to be able to participate at all times. Now, if you personally want to sit out the combat, good on ya. But don't expect to get more than a pat on the head for it.

Jhaelen

First Post
Having just watched the new Diablo III gameplay movie, I'm guessing W stands for Witch Doctor! Obviously someone at WotC had insider infos... ;)

Ondo

First Post
So Rich Baker seems to confirm bards, druids, gnomes, and barbarians for the PHB2 here.

So I've changed around the first post - I removed these three bits:

Bards, Druids, Barbarians, and Sorcerers will be in print in 2009 (source).
The PHB2 will include the Sorcerer (source), the Barbarian and Druid (Races & Classes), as well as classes "not unlike the Druid, Barbarian, and Bard" (source).
"By the time the Eberron Campaign Guide comes out next year, gnomes will be a fully-supported race." (source)

and replaced them with a mention that Gnomes were confirmed and this:
Barbarians, Bards, Druids, and Sorcerers are all confirmed for the PHB2 (source, source).

Also replaced this:
Gnomes, Half-Orcs, and Goliaths will be mentioned in the 4e Realms products, but not dwelled on because the rules for them will be a ways off (source).
with this:
Barbarians, Bards, Druids, and Gnomes will be mentioned in Forgotten Realms products (source), as will Half-Orcs and Goliaths (source).

Also added this:
Wizards has no plans to reprint races and classes in the Forgotten Realm's Player's Guide in the PHB2 (source).

Remove ads