Multiclassing - decouple Class Levels and Character Levels?

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
I've been pondering on something that came up during a discussion about the problem of seeming level-equivalence with the current 3.X multiclassing system. It was inspired by the attempt to mix 2E and 3E multiclassing systems. Since I wouldn't be surprised if something like that has been done (and published) already, I'd appreciate pointers in the right direction by those in the know. :)

Of course, simple feedback is also welcome. ;)

The idea is as follows: XP gained are split between the classes of a multiclass character, and recorded separately in order to level up the character in each class separately. This determines the class level in each class the character trains in. The character level is calculated by the total XP the character gained, and is determined from the Level/XP chart as well.

Benefits are gained either by class level or by character level. Class level basically only grants you the special abilities of the class (bonus feats, sneak attack, spells, turning, etc) and the class skill list. Character level grants you hit points, BAB, Base Save, skill points etc. You use the best BAB and Base Save progression of the classes your character has trained in, hit points (or rather HD) are averaged between the classes, as are skill points. He gains all abilities (proficiencies with weapons and armor), but also suffers all limits of each class (weapon restrictions, alignments, casting in armor, etc).

Example: A multiclass fighter/wizard 5/5 who has split his XP 50/50 between both classes has gained 20000 XP during his career. He has 3 figher bonus feats, Summon Familiar, Scribe Scroll, a wizard bonus feat and the spell selection and casting ability of a 5th level wizard.
With 20000 XP, he is at 6th character level. His HD are the average of d10 and d4 (in this case, the d7, or d8-1 reroll 1s), so he got to roll that 6 times, adding Con modifiers as usual. He has 2 skill points + Int bonus per level (both classes only offer 2 + Int bonus), and his max skill ranks are +9/+4.5. He combines the class skill lists of both classes. He has Fort +4, Ref +1, Will +4 as his saves. He has all abilities of both classes, and abides by all restrictions of each.

The system would work with later multiclassing, too. Simply set a year of training time before the 1st level in a new class can be gained, and recalculate all character level dependent benefits. What is lacking gets filled up, and what is too much already gets frozen until the new values would overtake the old. A fighter 5th taking 1st level of rogue would gain a LOT of new class skills, and the difference in skill points between 2/level and 5/level (average of both classes) would be available as new skill points. On the other hand, his HP wouldn't rise until the new HD (d8 instead of d10) would overtake the difference.

So, is there something like that already out there? People using it? And if yes, what's the experience? I realize it is a bit more complicated, but I think it beats the problem of levels, since that way, a multiclass character with equal levels will stay only a few levels behind his group mates (5/5 = 6th, 8/8 = 11th, 14/14 = 19th), and will be able to contribute a lot better to any adventure while not being too overpowered (I think).

As I said, feedback appreciated. :)

Bladesong

Explorer
Geron Raveneye said:
So, is there something like that already out there? People using it? And if yes, what's the experience?

The gestalt character option in the core books (DMG I believe) is virtually the same; to make it just like what you are looking for, just double the number of experience points needed for each level.

Yes, people are using it. The last campaign I ran used it.

The experience...like everything else...good and bad. With the right combos the characters will have good BaB, good saves, spells, all weapons and good hit points. They will definitely survive everything. It can be very difficult to even challenge them. They can, however, last much longer in a day of adventure.

ardentmoth

Explorer
quite true bladesong; and i also agree that it's good and bad. I feel that it's very enjoyable to play, though the rapid increase in power can be unsettling for a new DM.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Yeah, I'm DMing a solo campaign where the player and 3 NPC's are Gestalts. They can be a nightmare in bookkeeping, and spells that require saving throws becomes less powerful (as the Gestalts tend to have higher saving throws).

Once concept I've thought upon but never tried is borrowed from the mmorpg Guild Wars (and to some extent FFXI Online, which came first IIRC). Instead of Gestalting and taking the best of both classes, you pick a Main class and a Support class. The Main class advances as normal, and the Support class grants class abilities but no bonuses to attacks, saves, HD, or the like. It's likely that this option is best for high-magic campaigns (which I tend to have); YMMV.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Interesting comments, thanks. Made me check out Gestalt characters (after reading about them for some years already), and yeah, the concept is similar. The difference is that Gestalt is an exact 50/50 split in class abilities while not splitting the XP, and that my idea, using the XP to determine character level, and from that BAB, saves and skill points, arrives at slightly different averages in each. Also, Gestalt can't be unequal level splits as far as I see...I'm trying for some kind of multiclass system that allows that as well as later multiclassing. But yeah, I can see where the power increase could make things a bit more difficult. :)

the Jester

Legend
The single best innovation in 3e was the multiclassing system, imho. In earlier editions multiclassed pcs kicked way too much ass; in 3e, they fixed most of the issues. What you are proposing is pretty much going back to 2e multiclassing, just using 3e classes. I wouldn't do it. It might work ok for caster multiclass combos, but even then... nah, I wouldn't do it.

Remove ads