Whirtlestaff's Wizards' Academy Revisited, IC01

rossrebailey

First Post
Max leaps from the boat as if from one path to another. He follows his companions as silently as he has accompanied them on the journey. He looks back, as if impatient to continue east on their errand.

Leif

Adventurer
Pembrose

You have journeyed up the River Wren to reach Pemrose, the village where you find yoursleves now. Pembrose is located just at the confluence of the River Wren and the Quail River. The Quail river flows toward the west and into the River Wren. The River Wren flows toward the south. When you reach Pembrose, you leave the boat (it's not really a "ship," as someone said, here on the Wren), and walk toward the Inn. Along the river, there are a number of boats and people working, as well as a few commercial concerns involving trade, fishing, and so forth. Other than the warehouses and docks, there is nothing of interest right on the river here. The streets of Pembrose are cobbled and are kept clean. You pass several private houses as you approach the Lonesome Drake. The Lonesome Drake is at the edge of the town square, which is a bustling place with numerous farmers and peddlers hawking their produce and wares. Across the street from the Lonesome Drake and also abutting the square, you see a shop called "Tinker's Trinkets." Looking around the square, you see "Osgood's General Store," "Culwert's Perfect Armory," "Odger's Excellent Arms," "The Green Table," and a building right next to the Lonesome Drake whose sign just says, "Constable." The Square itself is dominated by a ten-foot-high statue. The name emblazoned at the base of the statue is Lord Jeremy Kyle. Approaching the Lonesome Drake, you see that its sign says "The Lonesome Drake Inn and Brewery," which seems to bode well for finding that long-lost pint.

The Lonesome Drake is housed in a large, two-storey building, and, as you walk in, you are impressed by its cleanliness and the savory aromas that waft towards you. As you enter, the man behind the bar greets you warmly: "Ahhh, come in, friends, my wife, Irma was just putting the finishing touches on lunch. Come in, come in and have a bite to eat with us! I am Boris Stenker, and this is my place."

Seated in the Lonesome Drake is also a half-elf with a flute, and with a lute lying across the chair beside him. There are, perhaps, a dozen other townsfolk seated in the establishment. Most of these appear to be awaiting lunch, but there are four of them at the bar. Boris says, "Play us a tune, Elwynn," and the half-elf complies and begins to play and sing a rousing tune.

You are all seated, and Boris and his waitress, whom he introduces as Brynna, bring piping hot dishes and plates of good, hearty, country food to your table. "What brings you gents to Pembrose, if I may be so bold as to ask? You are certainly welcome to stay in our rooms here during your sojourn. We'd be honored to have you." says Boris.

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
i"I have heard that the ale here at the lonsome drake is the best in the world. I just wanted to find out for my slef." Capizzio chimes with a verrrry mischivious grin.

KerlanRayne

Explorer
Leif said:
When you reach Pembrose, you leave the boat (it's not really a "ship," as someone said), and walk toward the Inn.
OOC: To Kerlan, it's a ship. None of the boats he's been on have been much bigger than a rowboat. He's seen and done a lot of new things since coming to Whirlstaff's, but he's still a farm boy.

"We are visiting someone in Twain as a favor to a friend. How far would you say it is from here?" Kerlan asked.

Leif

Adventurer
Boris Stenker

"It's right at 70 miles. You can usually get from Twain to Pembrose, by riding the barge down the Quail River, in one day. Now going from Pembrose to Twain takes a bit longer, you see, because your going upstream, so you'll have to pass a night somewhere in between here and there. There are good roads along both sides of the Quail from Pembrose to Twain, if you prefer to stretch your legs, but that'll take you about two-and-a-half to three days, if the weather holds, and it usually does, this time of year," says Boris Stenker. "Or, you can speed things up some by riding. On horseback, you can cover the whole distance and just have to spend one night between here and there, so riding works out to be about the same as traveling by boat going upstream, but coming back downstream is a lot faster by boat."

Last edited:

rossrebailey

First Post
Max

"Gentlemen, I am for speed whenever there's a goal, but Kerlan's legs still seem to wobble from the stormy sea," Max grins. "I will follow what you recommend."

Leif

Adventurer
Boris Stenker

"Now, knowing Twain like I do, I know that there aren't just a whole lot of people there who wouild attract the attention of such a large group of men such as yourselves. So who would you be wanting to see?"

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Well i would think that barge travel is going to be a lot less wobbly the sea travel, so i recommend a pint of ale right now and a day of travel by barge tomorrow. Just only one pint for those of us that might not like the water travel."

Scotley

Hero
Tylara

Distracted by the music and the aroma of the food, Tylara is late joining the conversation with the Barkeep. She orders a pint and asks to hear what dishes are being served today. "We are students just taking a break from our studies, and this journey is really just a lark rather than a serious mission. We are delivering a gift for a professor. Are there any sights of interest to tourists in your fair valley?"

Remove ads