Answers on the GSL!

Zaister

Explorer
The GameMastery line contains only supporting products like flip-mats, map tiles, cards, and other game aids from now on. The GameMastery modules are being rebranded Pathfinder modules with the next one to be released, and I don't think different product lines would apply to two lines that are both set in Golarion anyway.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
TerraDave said:
So, lets just take a hypothetical:

Paizo Pathfinder is a product line. It can be 3E/OGL, or 4E, but not both. When a 4E comes out, no more 3E pathfinder.

But, you could have 3E pathfinder and a 4E line of products called, say Paizo Paragon, that could support 4E. As long as it is seperate from Pathfinder.

Sound correct?

That could be correct.

Or it could be that if you have a fantasy product line that uses the GSL, you are not allowed to have another fantasy product line that uses the OGL, but you could have a Supers product line that uses the OGL and a Fantasy product line that uses the GSL.

You still may not be able to have both a GSL and OGL fantasy product line. The answer is unclear.

Looks like we won't really have our answers until June 6.

Alzrius said:
"Per product line"? So if I produce the same book for 3.5E and 4E, I just need to make sure they aren't both under the "Super New Rules Supplement" header of products (and presumably can't have the same title) and it's okay?

A) My guess is that no, a book probably automatically qualifies as being part of the same product line as itself.

B) What's with the constant efforts to find ways around the restrictions--restrictions which have consistently proven lighter than anticipated?

Scipio202

Explorer
My guess is the easiest way to separate product lines is by the Proprietary Content that the OGL (and presumably the GSL) lets you carve out. If two products share the same PI, then perhaps they'll be considered part of the "same" product line. E.g. Ptolus is PI, so if two products both use the name Ptolus in their text, they'd be considered part of the same product line.

Jack99

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
And thus, albeit I'm sure this wasn't their intention, ensuring that I'll continue to have multiple potential employers. ;)

Speaking of you and your jobs. Ari, do you know if
Q) Are there any "types" of product prohibited by the GSL? For example, the old d20 STL prohibited the inclusion of character generation or advancement, meaning that a standalone game could not be created, while the OGL alone did not. Does the GSL contain these restrictions? Are any other types of product restricted?

A. Most of what was in the d20 STL has been pulled into the GSL. For example, no product can describe a process for creating a character or applying the effects of experience to a character. The new license is meant to work with the core D&D rules. The final details will be announced when the license is released in June.
means that the Advanced Player's Guide that you wrote for NG won't be able to be published, or does this prohibition only relate to the classes created by WoTC?

Oh, and thanks to WoTC for giving us, what looks to me, a fair and decent G

Pinotage

Explorer
DaveMage said:
You still may not be able to have both a GSL and OGL fantasy product line. The answer is unclear.

Looks like we won't really have our answers until June 6.

Yip. I think the term product line is very vague. I assume on June 6th it'll be defined clearly, if it can be at all. Sounds like a bit of a 'loophole' for those that want to publish similar products for both systems. Although I assume WotC have found a way to define product line correctly.

Pinotage

Jack99 said:
Speaking of you and your jobs. Ari, do you know if
means that the Advanced Player's Guide that you wrote for NG won't be able to be published, or does this prohibition only relate to the classes created by WoTC?

I can't imagine why it would. The restriction in the old D20 License had to do with character creation--point-buy, 4d6 and drop the lowest, etc.--and rules for applying experience to leveling up. It had no restriction on new classes--in fact, new classes were incredibly common--as long as you still needed the PHB to know how to create the character.

If the GSL works similarly, as they've implied it does, there should be nothing at all in the APG that even comes close to resembling a violation.

Zaister

Explorer
I can't really imagine that the GSL will allow you to publish stuff that effectively pre-empts Wizards' own upcoming books like Player's Handbook II by publishing your own versions of druids, bards, and gnomes, for example.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Piratecat said:
Sounds correct, Dave.

Brown Jenkin, note that question 8b in your list was answered - you may have just missed it. The answer was no.

Sorry. Tried to fix it. (My edit page shows it gone but the actual post isn't refreshing).

Jack99

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
I can't imagine why it would. The restriction in the old D20 License had to do with character creation--point-buy, 4d6 and drop the lowest, etc.--and rules for applying experience to leveling up. It had no restriction on new classes--in fact, new classes were incredibly common--as long as you still needed the PHB to know how to create the character.

If the GSL works similarly, as they've implied it does, there should be nothing at all in the APG that even comes close to resembling a violation.

Awesome. This was what I was hoping for (obviously), but I thought to ask first, since I don't know much about the old licenses.

Cheers

Remove ads