The future of FR and the Rotunda

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
I hear there are big changes in store for the Forgotten realms for 4th Edition and I have admittedly done no research on any of it. I'm not sure anything that has been released thus far is more than random speculations of the fans. I wanted to open the floor to discuss what is happening in FR 4E and discuss what changes that might bring about for the Rotunda, if any.

I am currently of the opinion that it will continue as it is, but it might be easier to follow the new rules for continuity. In which case I'll have to dredge up a story of happens with the Rotunda and Nashira to catch it up to the new timeline. I don't forsee that being too difficult.

So, people, what are you thoughts and feelings about Fr in 4e and the future of the Rotnuda in reguards to it?

Tharivious

First Post
I'm neutral on the matter, since I've never been a fan of Forgotten Realms old or new. Fortunately, 4E research is something I've been doing a lot of... but I haven't seen much that the bulk of fans of the Realms will like.

In short summary of things most relevant to the Rotunda in particular:
Forgotten Realms as a whole is in for a 114 year time jump from the currently published Campaign Setting Guide. It will completely overshoot the worst period of the Spellplague, wherein the majority of arcane spellcasters will be negatively affected in dramatic ways (death, insanity, general asplodedness... unless they're within a Mythal, which still work without the Weave, go figure) as the Weave is annihilated by Mystra's death at the hands of Cyric and Shar.

There's talk of opening "time gates" so that characters converting to 4E can jump ahead in time via cheesy deus ex machina that wouldn't be needed if they'd have actually let the Forgotten Realms remain the Forgotten Realms, and not some mishap of a new setting with old names. :p

The vast (and I do mean vast) majority of Faerunian gods will be either killed, merged, or ignored. Projected trimming of pantheons looks to be going from 150 pre-4E to around 25 post-4E. Included in this are racial pantheons, which seem to now be down to one actual deity and a bunch of "aspects" of other, human-centric deities. Thus far, Tymora seems to be around, but with the slash-and-burn action going on, things don't look good for the luck goddess.

Waterdeep itself is in for massive cosmetic changes, including an upheaval of some massive construct that runs amok downtown and winds up a statue. The Lords seem to still be around, but none of the ones that are currently known (there's mention of the Blackstaff's heir, but that's all I've seen so far). The city still exists, but it's not the same city that the Rotunda relies on right now. There's also that matter of the orc kingdom in the nearby area, that for some reason has been written to poorly resemble the 1960s civil rights era thanks to Salvatore.

Aside from that... what else do you need to know about the changes? I've probably got more stored away up in the ol' noggin that can answer any questions right away; I've certainly read enough of the updates out of morbid curiosity on what they're doing with their former cash cow.

Infernal Scribe

First Post
unless you want to advance the time line by a 100 years in the rotunda, waterdeep. I doubt it should really effect the online setting too much. but otherwise, i've suggest wait til the FR 4e product actually comes out sometime in August or September to make a decision to update the setting. (one can easily read a review or updated wiki on what happen to your favortive region).

Babylon Logos

First Post
Tharivious said:
It will completely overshoot the worst period of the Spellplague, wherein the majority of arcane spellcasters will be negatively affected in dramatic ways (death, insanity, general asplodedness... unless they're within a Mythal, which still work without the Weave, go figure) as the Weave is annihilated by Mystra's death at the hands of Cyric and Shar.
And there goes my favorite and oldest FR characters . . .

Tharivious said:
There's talk of opening "time gates" so that characters converting to 4E can jump ahead in time via cheesy deus ex machina that wouldn't be needed if they'd have actually let the Forgotten Realms remain the Forgotten Realms, and not some mishap of a new setting with old names. :p

Tharivious said:
There's also that matter of the orc kingdom in the nearby area, that for some reason has been written to poorly resemble the 1960s civil rights era thanks to Salvatore.

I'm agreeing with Thar . . . Not on one item, but on two . . . The world shall end soon . . .

Khaira

First Post
My vote is for unchanged. I don't know of many individuals who will be making the switch to 4e. Of course, in my constantly blissful state of isolation, that isn't saying much. ;)

Still, I like the FR as is. Since the Rotunda is "sacred" to Tymora, one could always presume that she could technically throw a deity-sized deity-powered ward around the Rotunda grounds, such that the 4e changes within the Rotunda would not take effect, but outside the Rotunda the changes do take effect (effectively a time capsule, as it were). This would allow those who don't intend to switch to 4e to still have access to an unchanged FR, while allowing those who DO intend to switch an opportunity still for interaction.

My two cents

Magi_Brigid

First Post
Khaira said:
My vote is for unchanged. I don't know of many individuals who will be making the switch to 4e. Of course, in my constantly blissful state of isolation, that isn't saying much. ;)

Still, I like the FR as is. Since the Rotunda is "sacred" to Tymora, one could always presume that she could technically throw a deity-sized deity-powered ward around the Rotunda grounds, such that the 4e changes within the Rotunda would not take effect, but outside the Rotunda the changes do take effect (effectively a time capsule, as it were). This would allow those who don't intend to switch to 4e to still have access to an unchanged FR, while allowing those who DO intend to switch an opportunity still for interaction.

My two cents

I know that myself and one of the Harper cohort that isn't much around anymore (you know how that gets) aren't making the switch to the new FR. There just seems to be something....unwholesome about it.

Magi_Nashira

Chaotic Lawkeeper
I'm definitely leaning toward keeping it the same for now, but I wanted to get the input of those that use the room and the community. Thanks for the input folks! Keep it coming!

Reshak Delanier

First Post
I know that myself and others of Sril've Cress will not be acknowledging the demise of 3rd.5 edition, or the existance of the 4th edition. ((Personally, I believe its nothing more than a rediculous money making scheme by Wizard$ of the Coa$t...but I digress...)) I can't speak for the Rotunda, as it stands now, but perhaps making it a "time impervious" setting might allow the different factions to have a central meeting place?

Or, just ignore the rediculous change and keep things as they stand. No matter what is done, someone will complain, you can bet your bippy on that!

Cloaked Woman

First Post
I know my group isn't making the switch, we took a vote on that over the weekend. so we would be really happy that FR stayed the same on site, we've had enough problems previous changes LOL
sorry we are happy go lucky 2nd edt group for the most part still, but we do use 3.5 for things now as we like some of the things they came out with, we have blended the best of what we like from both LOL

Remove ads