Research for Combat Grid program

I realise that this might seem like it should be in the computer program area, but it shouldn't honest!

I am thinking about writing a program that will do all the combat tracking for me. It will have a grid of squares that characters and monsters can be added to and moved around in and it keeps track of hit points and does attack rolls and so on.

My current plan is to make it rules-lite, so it won't enforce rules except where necessary (for example, if you move a creature, it will tell you how far it is moving, but won't limit how far you are using).

The core user interface dodad will be that you click on a creature and drag a line to another creature, and a menu will pop up giving you whatever options are available for the interaction between the two creatures.

e.g. full attack, single attack, apply a dodge modifier vs particular creature and so on.

What I am trying to figure out everything that could possibly be needed in these menus. As such, this is really a 'what are all the combat actions that can be taken' question.

Remove ads