D&D 4E Three 4e Questions from Game Last Night.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
1. Can a warlock make a Stealth check to hide during/after the move that grants him Concealment?

I forget the name of the class feature/power, but it basically grants the warlock Concealment if he moves at least 3 squares away from his starting location. Concealment is needed to hide, and hiding (with a Stealth) check seems to be included in movement.

For example, can a warlock blast someone, move three steps, and as part of that move make a Stealth check to "hide"?

If he can, what does "hiding" in 4E entail? Is the warlock effectively invisible unless someone beats his Stealth check?

2. Can you take an opportunity attack while you are engaged in a grab?

3. Temporary hit points from different sources don't stack. When you have an infernal pact warlock, they get temp hit points whenever a cursed monster dies. If I have cursed multiple monsters, is that considered one source or multiple sources? In other words - is the "source" the ability, or is the "source" the monster that's dying?

Thanks!

Wis

That One Guy

First Post
Wisdom Penalty said:
1. Can a warlock make a Stealth check to hide during/after the move that grants him Concealment?

I forget the name of the class feature/power, but it basically grants the warlock Concealment if he moves at least 3 squares away from his starting location. Concealment is needed to hide, and hiding (with a Stealth) check seems to be included in movement.

For example, can a warlock blast someone, move three steps, and as part of that move make a Stealth check to "hide"?

If he can, what does "hiding" in 4E entail? Is the warlock effectively invisible unless someone beats his Stealth check?

2. Can you take an opportunity attack while you are engaged in a grab?

3. Temporary hit points from different sources don't stack. When you have an infernal pact warlock, they get temp hit points whenever a cursed monster dies. If I have cursed multiple monsters, is that considered one source or multiple sources? In other words - is the "source" the ability, or is the "source" the monster that's dying?

Thanks!

Wis
Hrm... I think the first one's answer is that Shadow Walk or whatever does not offer concealment for hiding. I think hiding w/ the person aware of where they are would be Full concealment... a -5 to hit or +5 to defenses however you want to look at it.

2. I don't think so, but... I don't actually know.

3. I think the source is the ability. I think if multiple monsters die at once triggering the pact boon the temp hp'd stack, but if they die one at a time the temp hp wouldn't. Not 100% sure, though. Sorry.

Hope that at least helped a little. How'd you arbitrate things?

Crosswind

First Post
1.) You can make that check. You're invisible until somebody either beats your stealth check, -or- you lose concealment.

2.) Yes. You're just immobilized - you can still attack perfectly fine.

3.) Sorry, don't know. =)

-Cross

3.) IIRC, temporary hit points _never_ stack. Doesn't matter which source. If in doubt grenade it out, the power would definitely be the source. It's not like the targets suddenly gain the ability to give you temporary hit-points.

2.) Only what you see pal. If the description of immobilized doesn't mention that it negates AoOs, it doesn't. Compare it to dazed or stunned, which spell out that they do.

1.) My best guess so far is that you need to at least create a diversion to hide. But that might be wrong.

Mort_Q

First Post
I'm reasonable sure that the intent of the temp HP stacking rules is that they never stack, but rather reset to the highest earned value.

VannATLC

First Post
The power is Shadow Walk.

The PHB said:
Part of whatever action you are trying to
perform stealthily.
I personally would rule that no, that action gave you concealment, the next you could attempt a hide check, depending on the nature of that action. If it was another move, sure. In fact, you'd *need* to make it another move, or you'd lose the concealment, and hence the ability to Stealth.

In terms of what Stealth does, it is effectively, from my reading, an inability to gain LOS to you.
It also grants you Combat Advantage against any foe.

Grabbing immobilizes.
Immobilizing restricts Movement.
and nothing else

So yes, you can.

3. Its multiple sources.

You can only recieve the one amount of temporary hitpoints at any give time.
They act in all ways as an abalative shield, and you can only ever have the 1 pool. Any affect that would grant you temporary HP would be overwritten by any stronger one, or would overwrite any weaker one. They are never cumulative.

Have fun.

Last edited:

Harr

First Post
Also, look as Fate of the Void which explicitly defines its bonus as being cumulative. Dark One's Blessing (the temp-hp gaining thing) does not, so it is not.

As for Shadow Walk, no you cannot make that check as part of the move that grants you concealment, since you don't have concelament before or during the move. You have concealment once you have completed a move that places you 3 squares or more away from where you started.

You have that concealment until the end of your next turn. If you choose to make another move before the end of your next turn, you can choose to make that move Stealthily, roll a stealth check as part of that new move, and if you pass that check, you are hidden.

Last edited:

Remove ads