Core Books corrections vs. Leaked files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rechan

Adventurer
The Rouse said there were several things in the Leaked Files which were wrong; things that were in the Core that were missing from the Files and vice versa.

So I'm wondering what, if any, differences there are? Anyone spot anything?

Surgoshan

First Post
I've seen such a quote attributed to the Rouse, but I don't know that I've seen a direct link to the source containing his statement.

More on topic, no, I've not seen anything.

Incendax

First Post
I'll be the first to admit that after I Pre-Ordered the books I felt ethically justified in getting myself a copy of the Leaked Files and browsing through them.

Now that I've actually had my books delivered, I can check through them and see if there is actually anything different.

But there's just one problem...

If you haven't bought the books, then I wouldn't be ethically justified in telling you the differences, and if you already had the books then you wouldn't need to know the differences, would you?

jeffh

Adventurer
Incendax said:
If you haven't bought the books, then I wouldn't be ethically justified in telling you the differences, and if you already had the books then you wouldn't need to know the differences, would you?
You would if you'd been working from the leaked files for a while, say to write an adventure for your players, and now wished to implement any corrections the actual printed books contain. (Granted, you could in principle look up the differences yourself in that case, but is it not better for one or two people who actually like that sort of thing to do that and then share the results than for several thousand to do so?)

NMcCoy

Explorer
An easy compromise to your ethical conundrum is to share the location of discrepancies but not the nature of them. "there's a difference at the top of page x in the PHB"... That would help out those of us who have the books but aren't trained in Perception...

Incendax said:
I'll be the first to admit that after I Pre-Ordered the books I felt ethically justified in getting myself a copy of the Leaked Files and browsing through them.

Now that I've actually had my books delivered, I can check through them and see if there is actually anything different.

But there's just one problem...

Well, it's a matter of opinion since some would say you were not ethically justified in getting the leaked PDFs despite your preorder. Ultimately, that's an ethical line you have to draw for yourself. In any event, if I can guesstimate your ethical stance/threshold properly, perhaps you would be comfortable referring to the location of errors without being overly specific about what they are. For example, you could just say "these MM monsters have errors in their statblocks: X Y Z" Without the books, that's not really enough to go on.

Btw, I got my order today from B&N and the books and slipcase look very nice. The books don't creak much on opening; they have an nifty finish where the foreground image of each is shiny while the background is matte. The slipcase seems nice and sturdy. I would like the thumb cutouts to have been a bit larger but it works well enough to pull the 3 books out partway and then pull/slide to get what you want (wow, I just used forced movement on my books--at least that won't provoke opportunity attacks on them!).

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Magus Coeruleus said:
Well, it's a matter of opinion since some would say you were not ethically justified in getting the leaked PDFs despite your preorder. Ultimately, that's an ethical line you have to draw for yourself.
Let's not restart that flame war, please?

Thanks, -- N

Keltheos

First Post
I'm not so sure. Getting a head start on a printing run of this size would take upwards of 3 months. Also, don't forget, they've been printed for a bit and either sitting waiting for shipping or in transit to locations, so extrapolating that from 3/2008 to 6/6/08 things may have changed is faulty.

But who knows...maybe they made a mess of changes at the 11th hour somehow.

Rechan

Adventurer
Incendax said:
I myself have preordered them and am waiting from amazon. But my reason for asking this is simple: I just want to know if some things have changed.

For instance, certain monsters like the hydra, or other issues of numberse, etc etc.

I wish to be reassured, and see my hopes that some things were "fixed" at the 11th hour. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads