[4e] Help Making Pre-gens

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
So. I want to run a 4e demo game for my buddies. I plan to just do a one-evening game, and will probably run the kobold dungeon-crawl in the DMG.

What I'm looking for is suggestions for pre-gen class/race combos. My idea was to go with basic D&D stereotypes. I'm going to have a standard fighter, cleric, rogue, wizard party, and then I need a fifth. I also want to stay with the iconic class/race combos. So the Dwarven Fighter and the Halfing Rogue are musts. I'm looking for the same kind of thing for the other classes.

Here's what I was thinking so far. Help me fill in the gaps!

Fighter - Dwarf
Rogue - Halfling
Cleric - (Human? Dragonkin?)
Wizard - (Human? Eladrin?)

And for a fifth?

Ranger - Elf?
Warlock - Tiefling?
Paladin - ?

Help me ENWorld, you're my only hope!

fba827

Adventurer
Laslo Tremaine said:
So the Dwarven Fighter and the Halfing Rogue are musts. I'm looking for the same kind of thing for the other classes.

Here's what I was thinking so far. Help me fill in the gaps!

Fighter - Dwarf
Rogue - Halfling
Cleric - Human
Wizard - Eladrin
Ranger - Elf
Warlock - Tiefling
Paladin - Dragonborn

That seems to be some/most of the stereotypes built in ... more or less.

There are the DDXP pregen characters online (somewhere, I can't find the link right now) so you could just use that, everything is already built and stated out for you (though it may not be the race/class combos for which you are looking)

darkbard

Legend
I would go:

Human Cleric
Dwarf Fighter
Dragonborn Paladin
Halfling Rogue
Eladrin Wizard

to achieve the "classic" (taking into account 4E's assumptions as to what this means) race & class combo you're shooting for.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
1/ There is no "standard" any more. You can go by role instead, if you wish:

Leader: Cleric or Warlord
Defender: Paladin or Fighter
Striker: Rogue, Ranger or Warlock
Controller: Wizard :cool:

Here are some basic, effective race/class combinations:

Dwarf Cleric - 18 Wisdom, laser powers, but also hefts a hammer.

Half-Elf Paladin - 18 Charisma, 14 Str and Wis, Longsword & Heavy Shield.

Elf Ranger - 18 Dexterity, 16 Wisdom, whatever's left in Con. Choose Twin Strike + one of the mobility at-will powers.

Tiefling Warlock (Fey Pact) - 18 Charisma, 16 Intelligence, whatever's left in Con.

Human Wizard - 18 Intelligence, 14 Wisdom, 14 Con. My spell picks are Magic Missile, Scorching Burst and Thunderwave (for a variety of effects). Wand focus is easy on the newbs; Orb focus is technically stronger, but harder to use at 1st level; Staff focus is in the middle in terms of complexity, and fairly forgiving.

Dragonborn Fighter - 18 Strength, 14 Con, 14 Wis, and whatever's left in Dex. Sword & board are the way to go; take Cleave and Tide of Iron.

Cheers, -- N

Rechan

Adventurer
I suggest a Dragonborn or Tiefling Warlord (depending on what Build you go for), since the Warlord has been neglected thus far in the thread.

Laslo Tremaine

Explorer
Okay, I've decided on the following;

Dwarven Fighter
Human Cleric
Halfling Rogue
Eladrin Wizard
Elven Ranger

LostSoul said:
Design them as a party, not individual PCs. Make sure their abilities work well together. Look for synergy.
Can you expand on this a bit?

Being brand new to the system (as everyone is, but I just got my books yesterday), I have yet to discover some of the prime synergies.

What are some good powers for showing the players how the system promotes team-work?

LostSoul

Adventurer
Laslo Tremaine said:
Can you expand on this a bit?

Not really, no. ;) I haven't really explored the depth of it, and I'm not great at it in any case. But here's a simple example:

If you have a ranged Ranger or a Warlock in the party, your Fighter will want to take Spinning Sweep or Steel Serpent Strike. This makes it harder for him to reach the source of wicked damage coming at him.

If you have a Rogue as your striker, you'll want to pick up Covering Attack. You can shift the Rogue to set him up for a flanking maneuver. Same thing with Tide of Iron - push that guy so the Rogue can flank (or move the target way from the Rogue).

cdrcjsn

First Post
The recommended party mix for 5 players is 2 defenders.

After having played quite a bit, I would agree with this.

Having two points in the battlefield that can control the flow of battle towards your squishier members is highly recommended.

I recommend one fighter and one paladin for the extra healing in case a fight goes badly and the cleric burns up all his healing.

Here's a sample character I created, but I keep changing my mind on what to play for KotS and am probably playing something else (leaning towards a gnome warlock now).

Attachments

• Half-elven Paladin.pdf
    79.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:

Remove ads