KotS ritual from the graveyard? :may contain spoilers from kots:

Nithendil

First Post
One of my players wants his wizard (multiclassed with cleric) to be a necromancer. After reading the note from Kalarel to Ninaran, seeing the magic circle, and making a good arcana check, he wants to learn the ritual, and I want to reward him with it.

Has anyone written this up, or have any good ideas on how to, without making it too unbalanced?

For those that don't have the module, Kalarel writes a letter to to someone stating: "mix the blood of ten people with the elixir my messenger brings. Then trace the following pattern on the ground of a graveyard and pour the liquid into the lines." The ritual appears to summon 12 decrepit skeletons, level 1 minion.

I was thinking of it being around level 6-8, since kalarel is level 8 and the speak with dead ritual is level 6, and raise dead is level 8. The ritual should probably take about an hour. I know the ritual goes against the economy of actions, but I figure with the requirement of a graveyard, and the potential for churches or militia to get involved, that it probably won't be used that often and will at most just last a couple of encounters. Perhaps mixing the potion part takes 25gp ritual components per skeleton (like 3.5) and the fresh blood of one person per skeleton. Any other ideas?

Remove ads