Is three strikers and a leader a viable party ?

Hawkwind

Explorer
The players in my game are a half elf warlock a dragon born paladin a teifling rogue and a human warlord . The player with the warlord wants to change to a ranger. I an worried about how viable a party this will be

On Puget Sound

First Post
Pally is a defender class, not leader. Lay on Hands is insufficient healing to call him a Leader.

3 strikers + 1 defender: You will probably do better against single large foes and much worse against mobs of minions. Vs one boss, the paladin can keep him challenged while the rest of the party pours on the hurt. Vs multiple lighter attackers, the strikers' heavy damage is meaningless and the paladin can only keep one or two tied up at a time. So it depends on whether your DM is willing to take party composition into account when setting encounters for you.

Even in those ideal (1 to 2 heavy foes) situations, you will quickly run into healing trouble as soon as you meet a boss with area effect attacks. And since the only published solo monsters in Heroic Tier are dragons, expect that to happen by level 2 or before.

On Puget Sound

First Post
I still don't think it's enough. Tonight as a rogue I used six healing surges (of my 7) in one encounter, plus a lay on hands. I'd get healed up to full, then knocked back to dying or barely conscious in a single round. Strikers are fragile. Part of the problem was we were fighting a two-front battle and most of the party was on the other front, leaving me and one fighter to hold off two elite brutes in the rear. The cleric kept running from one end of the room to the other responding to crises. The paladins were both too busy fighting to heal much besides each other. That's right, we had two paladins and a cleric and still almost ran out of healing.

I would suggest at least that one of your strikers consider another role... a wizard for minion control (though blinding barrage is great for that, once per day), a warlord/ cleric for healing, or a fighter/ paladin to provide a front line rather than a front point. In choosing which striker to change, I would suggest keeping the rogue. Skills may not be as sexy as attack powers, but they will save the party over and over again!

NorthSaber

First Post
I would also say that 4 characters and no official leader may be problematic... And you don't even have a fighter who could sorta take care of himself (lots of self-heal powers).

I haven't played the game that much yet, but I expect it has been balanced thinking you have a healer. The paladin might do but you may need to focus on powers that both harm the enemy and heal or buff your allies. Might not be a bad idea for someone to multiclass into cleric or warlord for Healing Word / Inspiring Word. It's not much but might be just enough.

And then remember to stock up on those healing potions. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases