Origins - Impressions of three 4E Events

Festivus

First Post
The playtest adventures are written like that; that doesn't mean that real adventures will be or that any you write yourself will be. The adventure's the adventure.

I've run them all, and they were all like that; had I felt inclined, I could have hashed somehting better together, but as it was they're really just a display of the combat system.

As these were all RPGA style adventures (the 4E demos that is), they are usually fairly light on the roleplay side of things anyhow. In a home game there is going to be as much roleplay in 4E as there is in Pathfinder or Gurps or True20 or Boot Hill. Really, it all does come down to the story and the DM running it.

I have played in RPGA games with really great, inspirational DMs, but then I have had some who just read the boxed text and railroad to the next encounter (really what you have to do in RPGA anyhow). The trick is to railroad RPGA games without the players realizing that they have been railroaded. Given how much time you get at a convention, that can be really tricky to pull off.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The playtest adventures are written like that; that doesn't mean that real adventures will be or that any you write yourself will be. The adventure's the adventure.

I've run them all, and they were all like that; had I felt inclined, I could have hashed somehting better together, but as it was they're really just a display of the combat system.

As an example, FWIW I find "Keep on the Shadowfell" to be a much more engaging introductory adventure than "Sunless Citadel" was. It has more roleplay hooks built into it, more detail on people in the local town and reasons to interact with them.

Cheers

Agamon

Adventurer
The reason I caveat the statement above "with the right DM" is because it's my impression that the system is prone to type of gaming we experienced in our first two sessions. The DM in our last 4E event was very experienced and a highly talented DM. He brought that experience from past versions of D&D to 4E and made it work. I remain skeptical as to whether those lacking this experience will be able to do the same.

In my experience, every single iteration of D&D, plus all of it's spin-offs, not to mention many non-D&D games, are prone to that type of gaming with lazy DMing, and that a good GM makes the game, regardless of system.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer

If I may paraphrase The Rouse, the fact that so many people are talking about how crappy the playtest adventures have been is a huge marketing win.

Just a little detail from the 3rd good DM:

I have been pretty impressed at the wealth of helpful little DM tools and tricks that have come out with 4E and how much players seem to appreciate them.

I know I've been a lot friendlier towards them - everything from unconventional character sheets to power cards to minis - than I have been in prior editions and I seem to be getting a lot more play out of them.

My local gaming store is developing this weird sub-activity where DMs trade these things or evaluate them and I really like it.

smerwin29

Reluctant Time Traveler
As these were all RPGA style adventures (the 4E demos that is), they are usually fairly light on the roleplay side of things anyhow.

Just to be clear on one point. Although these adventures (Escape from Sembia, Kobold Hall, and Death in Skyfire Wastes) were called Living Forgotten Realms preview adventures, they were in essence 4e rules showcase adventures--and their bearing on or similarity to actual Living Forgotten Realms adventures (premiering at GenCon Indy 2008) are nonexistent.

But regardless of that, what everyone is saying is spot on. DMs (and other players at the table) make or break the adventure: this is the case in home games, in small public events, or at the largest conventions.

If you play an RPGA event at Origins, DDXP, or GenCon, and you have a particularly terrible DM, or even a particularly great one, take the time to go to RPGA HQ and let someone in a red and black shirt know. The staff keeps a list of these things, and your speaking up about a bad DM may save someone else the frustration later.

Thanks,

Shawn
Global Admin - Living Forgotten Realms

Remove ads