Rediscovery of the World - 4e (OOC)

Atanatotatos

First Post
FOUNDING OF A GUILD

You have all received a letter from the "Fellows of the Path Unknown", reportedly a mercenary guild newly founded in the city of Nesiah. You've been offered a place in the guild, and invited to visit its headquarters. Looking for a job, or adventure, or fame, you decided to go and verify the worth of the offer. You're now travelling on a carriagepulled by two horses, crossing a grassy plain, a few tens of miles from the City.

So, i'd like to start a 4e campaign with four to six players. I'm not exactly ready yet, but hopefully, i will be in ten days or so, when enough players have gathered (hopefully). It'd be my first time dming a pbp campaign, but I think i can handle it.
The setting is mostly 4e core, points of light (but, no Fallcrest). Id' like to start really simple to see how it goes, and also because I'd like the campaign to be quite player-driven. If it goes the way I plan it, it should feature combat, rp, exploration and some intrigue in a balanced mix.​

Character creation info:

-Starting from 1st level
-Core races, plus the Warforged from Dragon
-Core classes, plus the newly released Artificer
-Standard starting wealth
-Standard 4e point-buy, 25 points

Write some background info, you don't need to spend a lot of time on it, but if more than six players apply, I will choose the ones I think are most fitting. Also, you're free to develop relationships among characters. They can be friends, relatives, or strangers, you choose. You're all on the same vehicle and riding to the same destination so you'll meet each other anyway.

[sblock=More about the setting]
The campaign starts in the heart of large a continent named Barnost. Several centuries ago, it was devastated by a disaster which nobody but the most knowledgeable sages knows anything about. To this day, only small villages and a few large city-states far from each other offer shelter from the dangerous wilderness. Nesiah is one of the most ancient, but its population sums up to only a few thousand. The vast majority of people knows nothing of the world outside Barnost, or if something is there on the other side of the Ocean.
Aside from the more civilized cultures, many tribes of Lizardmen,Orcs, Goblinoids and such dwell in the vast wild spaces that separate civilized areas, and brutal raids at the expense of villages not large enough to have a significant militia are extremely common.

Some notes the player races and main settlements:
-Humans are the main founders of small villages in the uncivilized lands. They are generally very tolerant towards any who may offer them aid, whatever the race or the past. Overall they're the race that best adapted to this kind
of world, ready to forget about the past and conquer back the continent. Nesiah is their largest and most ancients city. It is perhaps the most populated city of Barnost, and is strictly divided in seventeen districts, each
governed by one of the founding guilds.

-Eladrins are very uncommon, for the links with the Feywild are mostly severed in Barnost. However, this also means that many who stepped through can't find the way home, so there is a small population, generally dwelling in large human cities or elf villages.Many Eladrin adventurers are wanderers in search of a way to go back to the Feywild.Some elders claim to remember the catastrophe that wiped out civilization centuries ago (and some may actually be old enough), but generally refuse to talk about it.

-Halflings, because of their cultural habit of dwelling by rivers, have developed an important function in Barnost:since most settlements are born near rivers out of necessity, the Halflings have become the main merchants and message-bearers on the whole continent. Their most important settlement is Sheiavén, a huge wooden city entirely supported by stilts on the river Mopathos, the widest of the continent.

-Warforgeds' origins are forgotten. Someone believes that they were born as weapons for the war during the time when the disaster that ruined Barnost struck. They're quite common despite apparently no new ones are born, and very appreciated as militians and bodyguards. Yhey suffer from bias from people that only see them as instruments of war because of their inexpressive features, however, they receive a great deal of respect in Partas.

-Tieflings live mostly in large cities, and a conclave of wise Tieflings known as the Council of Peace rules one of the greatest city-state of the continent, Thum-Binyas. Tieflings are not the majority of the population, but they claim that centuries ago Tiefling lords buil the city to offer shelter to the refugees. Someone says The Council of Peace is hiding some important secret in the core of the city, where a little "magic academy" for talented individuals has been founded few decades ago.

-Dragonborns mostly live either in more or less nomadic tribes, sometimes composed of hundreds of individuals, or in the heavily defended Partas, a city surrounded by tall walls and governed by a strict militaristic rule. Similarly to what the council of Peace did in Thum-Binyas, a number of Dragonborn general founded a huge fort to resist some kind of threat. In time, it evolved in a city-state that members of many race inhabit. Military service is mandatory in Partas, and all citizens join the consistent army, but the most famous feature of the city is the unbeaten heavy phalanx, which only includes Dragonborns of proven valor (with the notorious exception of the tenth battalion, composed of warforged veterans).

-Elves mostly live in villages situated in woods or, sometimes, neary inaccessible forests. A legendary Tree-City, Caer-Thag, is spoken of, where sages believe a large community of Eladrins live, and a passage of some kind to the Feywild would be located. The same sages state that powerful incantations erase the location's whereabouts from the memory of whoever may find it, based on reports of explorers that claim to have visited the place, but can neither remember the details about it, nor the path that led them there.

-Dwarves are generally found in every settlement, but the two greatest dwarven cities of the time, Rr'sae and Blenir, are probably the most reclusive and less welcoming of strangers of the great City-states. The former is ubicated on the mountains of Sas-Gsran, the latter is built in the enormous excavated caverns of Vytoreon. Both pride themselves with impassable defenses.

-Half-elves are not very common, but are found everywhere Elves and Humans are near enough. Many live in Kor-Wyne, a small City-State very far from the center of the continent and near the West shores of the Great Winding Ocean, and as such, very little visited and known of. Some travelers state that occasionally ships from the ocean are sighted from, but this is generally regarded as void chatters. [/sblock]

[sblock=sample easy-to-read character sheet]
Name - Sex - Race - Class - Level

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

Ac
For
Ref
Will

HP:
Healing surges/day:

Languages:
Alignment:
Patron Deity:

Racial features:

Class features:

Skills (*trained):
Acrobatics +
Arcana +
Athletics +
Bluff +
Diplomacy +
Dungeoneering +
Endurance +
Heal +
History +
Insight +
Intimidate +
Nature +
Perception +
Religion +
Stealth +
Streetwise +
Thievery +

Feats:

Powers (with description if possible):
-at will:

-encounter:

-daily:

Equipment (100 gp):

Background (brief is enough):
-What does the character look like? (pics welcome if you have a clear idea)
-What's his story? Where does he come from?
-What's his personality? Why is he an adventurer?
-Any hooks or plot devices you'd like to include will be considered
[/sblock]

If you have questions, please ask.

Who applied as of now:

Walking dad - Jorje, Human Wizard
Garyh - Oak, Warforged Ranger (dual-wielder)
Velmont - Lucen Silverleaf, Elf Cleric
Lobo - Desh, Dragonborn Paladin
Bialaska - Grungni Goldtooth, Dwarf Cleric
Shaggy - Ardan Silverbeam, Elf Fighter
Geogator - Blizzard, Dragonborn Wizard
Sarah - Human Artificer
Redclaw - Iandain, Human rogue
Ivellius - Aust Xilocent, Eladrin Cleric (no stats)
Rayex - Nightsky, Tiefling Starlock
Is907 - Elias, Tiefling Warlord

Last edited:

Is_907

First Post
I'm very interested in playing an Artificer or Ranger for this. Will have something written up after work today!

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
I'd like to present Ardan Silverbeam, Soldier (Elven Fighter; Glaive)

Ardan Silverbeam was raised in a typical Elven home, taught to revere Sehanine, and trained in the basic arts of combat. Just before Ardan came of age, his family moved to the countryside near Nesiah, fleeing plague and famine in their Elven homeland. Ardan, angry at his parents and the world for stripping him of the homeland he loved so much is looking for a path away from his family and away from Nesiah, even for just a little while. He still relies on Sehanine, praying to her frequently to show him his own destiny...and hoping that it takes him anywhere but here.

Atanatotatos

First Post
I'd like to present Ardan Silverbeam, Soldier (Elven Fighter; Glaive)

Ardan Silverbeam was raised in a typical Elven home, taught to revere Sehanine, and trained in the basic arts of combat. Just before Ardan came of age, his family moved to the countryside near Nesiah, fleeing plague and famine in their Elven homeland. Ardan, angry at his parents and the world for stripping him of the homeland he loved so much is looking for a path away from his family and away from Nesiah, even for just a little while. He still relies on Sehanine, praying to her frequently to show him his own destiny...and hoping that it takes him anywhere but here.

A little note. Since the campaign will basically start in a vehicle headed to Nesiah, but still a few tens of miles from it, probably it'd be better if Ardan's home wasn't nearer. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise, right? :)

garyh

First Post
I'm very interested! Here's my concept:

Five years ago, the road wardens found a warforged buried some distance from the main road through western Barnost, next to an old oak tree. With only its hand above ground, the warforged took some work to dig up, and the wardens doubted it could be made functional again. Still, they took it back to their headquarters, where their chaplain examined him. Despite its rough condition, a few prayers to Avandra and the light returned to the warforged's eyes. Unfortunately, the warforged had no recollection of its past or how it had ended up in the state it was found in.

Deciding to aid those who rescued it, and with no other real options, the warforged trained and joined the wardens in their task. Taking up the name Oak after the tree by which it was found, the warforged served as a warden for several years, and learned much about guarding the frontier, proud of serving alongside those who rescued it.

Eventually, though, Oak's curiosity grew, and it sought to learn more about its past. Deciding to leave the wardens to find out where it - and perhaps all warforged - had came from, Oak is now headed towards Nesiah...

Mechanically speaking, Oak is a warforged ranger (two-blade style). Once you confirm Oak's spot, I'll get to working on the numbers side of things.

Atanatotatos

First Post
Garyh, great backstory. However, I will select players (I mean, if more than four to six apply) in a few days looking at both background and stats (to make sure the party functions reasonably well and important roles are covered, for example), so i'd like to see how Oak would look like mechanically too.

By the way, an example of what I'd like to see if you have the time:

[sblock=sample character sheet]
Name - Sex - Race - Class - Level

Str
Dex
Con
Int
Wis
Cha

Ac
For
Ref
Will

HP:
Healing surges/day:

Languages:
Alignment:
Patron Deity:

Racial features:

Class features:

Skills (*trained):
Acrobatics +
Arcana +
Athletics +
Bluff +
Diplomacy +
Dungeoneering +
Endurance +
Heal +
History +
Insight +
Intimidate +
Nature +
Perception +
Religion +
Stealth +
Streetwise +
Thievery +

Feats:

Powers (with description if possible):
-at will:

-encounter:

-daily:

Equipment (100 gp):

Background (brief is enough, more accurate is better though):
-What does the character look like? (pics welcome if you have a clear idea)
-What's his story? Where does he come from?
-What's his personality? Why is he an adventurer?
-Any hooks or plot devices you'd like to include will be considered
[/sblock]

garyh

First Post
Thanks, Atanatotatos, glad you like my backstory! And fair enough on the mechanics, I'll get Oak stated up soon (perhaps even on my lunch hour! :) )

Atanatotatos

First Post
Thanks, Atanatotatos, glad you like my backstory! And fair enough on the mechanics, I'll get Oak stated up soon (perhaps even on my lunch hour! :) )

Sure I like it. If you feel like it, feel free to add more or even include plot hooks you'd be interested in. Ideas from players are welcome.

Remove ads