Character Optimization for Non-D&D?

Pale Master

First Post
Is there anything analogous to the Wizards Character Optimization boards for other games?

I'd be especially interested in seeing character optimization for V:tM 3rd edition and RIFTS (R) Ultimate Edition.

MINI

First Post
I really haven't heard anything though there are nice builds for NWoD. Promethean builds are fairly nasty in combat for instance. You mix a high strength with martial arts styles and a high weaponry score. Then add in the fact that you take bashing damage from mostly everything, don't take wound penalties and you can plug yourself into a light socket to heal up. Works out nice!

Jadeite

Open Gaming Enthusiast
At least in Vampire, there is no challenge. Just create a caitiff and give him all the disciplines you want him to have, especially if those are secret clan disciplines. Also, optimization toward what goal? There is no challenge rating in the oWoD.

I have never played Rifts, but from what I heard it's the epitome of power creep, so character optimization seems equally redundant there.

There are of course other RPGS with CO potential, like "Das Schwarze Auge", but most of the WoD games aren't one of those. You may have better luck with Exalted.

Aus_Snow

First Post
There is no challenge rating in the oWoD.
There are 'challenge ratings' in few RPGs, really. CharOp is still exactly the same though: increasing one's effectiveness at beating the bejeezus out of everything one stumbles across.

I think you get a fair few threads, on various forums, like maybe RPGnet, HERO forums, WW forums (. . .?), maybe even atomicthinktank. But no, not any whole subforums like the actual CharOp one. That's probably just because, y'know, 800lb gorilla and all.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Also: clear-cut goals. D&D embraces a certain hack-and-slash play style which many games deliberately downplay.

Cheers, -- N

Remove ads