The Drunken Master Prestige class

Ginnel

Explorer
Hey people, I've got a few questions about this prestige class from the 3.5 version its a bit confusing I'm sure they've been asked before but I can't find it using the search funciton.

1st Does the drunken master take the -4 to hit with improvised weapons?

2nd Does the drunken master add the ability of any monk levels to penetrate magic damage resistance etc. when using improvised weapons

3rd Whats an improvised weapon? can I take a large scimitar and use that seeing as its not a weapon designed for a Medium being can I use a normal weapon and use it unconventially as an improvised one?

4th Can I enchant an improvised weapon and cry when I roll a natural 1 when wielding and it breaks

5th can I flurry of blows with improvised weapons

6th Does the drunken master levels count as monk levels for any of the monk abilities

7th Why can't a drunken Master be chaotic and retain any monk abilities he has.

Thanks y'all

Last edited:

Kmart Kommando

First Post
1. yes, it does still take the -4, nothing there says otherwise. (well, I used to think it was a cool PrC :erm: )

2. nope

3. Your example Large Scimitar will do the same damage as a dinner plate, a broken bottle, a sack of potatoes, or a fireplace poker.
And will break, as written, when you roll a 1.

4. you can do this with artifacts as well, apparently. A single roll of 1 and the Rod of Seven Parts...well...falls apart.

5. nope

6. nope, but their improvised weapon damage gets higher, even though their monk's unarmed damage does not.

7. A drunken master isn't about chaos, it's about misdirection. Precisely-calibrated movements designed to misdirect opponents.

result: this PrC sucks, good for flavor text only. I was going to make one, but now that I look at it closely, I'll pass.

Ginnel

Explorer
1. yes, it does still take the -4, nothing there says otherwise. (well, I used to think it was a cool PrC :erm: )

2. nope

3. Your example Large Scimitar will do the same damage as a dinner plate, a broken bottle, a sack of potatoes, or a fireplace poker.
And will break, as written, when you roll a 1.

4. you can do this with artifacts as well, apparently. A single roll of 1 and the Rod of Seven Parts...well...falls apart.

5. nope

6. nope, but their improvised weapon damage gets higher, even though their monk's unarmed damage does not.

7. A drunken master isn't about chaos, it's about misdirection. Precisely-calibrated movements designed to misdirect opponents.

result: this PrC sucks, good for flavor text only. I was going to make one, but now that I look at it closely, I'll pass.
Well hot dang, I think I'm just gonna continue playing like I am, otherwise the prestige class is just rubbish, Allow flurry with it, no -4 penalty for using improvised weapons, allow the monks damage reduction penetration with improvised weapons

or maybe I'm just playing it wrong and the drunken master is supposed drink up and power his str then do a lot of tumbling charging about and get just one attack a round with his improvised weapon, then swap to unarmed attacks and flurry of blows when he gets stuck into melee?

Xanaqui

First Post
Personally, I'd rule that the indestructibility of an artifact supersedes the Drunken Master breakage rule, but I agree that there's a conflict, and by RAW, you could destroy adamantine or diamond items in this matter.

The 3.0 version is pretty powerful- you just have to take it from Rogue instead of Monk, and stay drunk. Heck, if you just dip into it for 1 level, it rocks.

The main problems with the 3.5 version are that you pretty much have to have at least 1 level of Monk, and that consuming alcohol takes real time (since the duration is short).

While Kmart Kommando is correct that there is no explicit revocation of the improvised non-prof. penalty, I'd think that it's implied, and that removing that penalty is hardly unbalancing - it's still a pretty weak class; in many games it would still be weaker than straight Monk. Improvised weapons simply is not as powerful as a good magic weapon at high levels, and while your Ref and Fort saves are helped, your AC and Will saves sink, particuarly when you do get drunk. You end up relying on being able to drink up just before combat for your power, which isn't reliable in most campaigns.

Last edited:

Remove ads