The Wind Riders: Tales from the Infinite Staircase (Updated September 13)

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Prelude

It is a troubled time for the Seven Kingdoms. For six months, the Wind Riders have heard rumors that a rolling storm of chaos-stuff is traveling toward the Seven Kingdoms. At the center of this storm is the Shard of Sharn, a powerful artifact of chaos, not seen for a millennium. According to the myth, the Shard itself is not evil, but "where chaos goes, evil follows."

The adventurers have been traveling through the statocracy of Kordash toward the dwarven mountain kingdom of Thorbardin. The dwarven cleric Thantar hopes, once they reach the mountains, to strike a blow against the orcs occupying his ancestral hall, Thorbaldar. "And," says Thantar, "no blasted chaos-stuff is going to reach us inside a dwarf-delve." After a short detour to visit Sir Reynard's father, the Wind Riders have resumed traveling toward the mountains.

But when the adventurers reach the low foothills, they see that the chaos-storm has arrived. Dense thunderclouds, lit from the inside by green and purple flashes of light and accompanied by occasional deep thunder, roll across the sky to the north. Even at a distance, Geldar, Ka'hari and Kindrid feel subtle perturbations starting to disrupt their magic. The Wind Riders spur their mounts forward, trying to reach shelter in the hills.

After half an hour of hard riding, the storm clouds are nearly on them, and a light rain begins. This close, the adventurers see that the flashes of green and purple light are spread from near the ground up into the clouds. Each flash starts as a point of fire that explodes outwardly in a flat circle to form a ring of green or purple flame, and then vanishes.

The adventurers are still riding when a flash expands into a horizontal ring of green fire about one-hundred feet away. Out from the ring drop ten 4-foot tall humanoid creatures. Each creature has wrinkled and mottled gray skin, fangs and jagged red nails. Geldar the Azure Mage is the first to react. Instantly analyzing and sifting probabilities with his genius-level mental calculations, he quickly deduces the optimal response. When the smoke from Geldar's fireball clears, all ten of the creatures are nothing more than burned-out husks.

"Hmm. Do we know they were evil?" asks Ka'hari.

"When gray-skinned creatures with fangs and claws drop out of an interdimensional portal, what are the chances they are good?" replies Geldar. "Besides, I'm fairly sure these are the same sort of creatures that we fought in the Tower of Enlightenment. They are called manes, and they are from the Abyss."

Satisfied with Geldar's quick solution, the Wind Riders try to live up to their name, and ride faster while the flashes of green and purple light come more frequently. After about fifteen minutes, another flash of green light and a load roar bursts directly above them. Out of the ring of green fire drops a four-armed insectoid creature with a bright red exoskeleton, white claws and white mandibles. The creature falls twenty feet onto the ground, apparently stunned.

But before any of the party can react, a blinding flash of purple light explodes around them.

Last edited:

RedShirtNo5

First Post
DM notes

Nearly a year ago my group completed an adventure based on Tales from the Infinite Staircase by Monte Cook. I am finally getting around to posting a story hour recounting that adventure.

This probably would be considered an unusual campaign, because in real life this single adventure took place over about ten or twelve sessions spread over seven years. Why did the campaign take seven years? Basically, about once per year a group of ten high school and college friends, including some who have to fly in, all try to get together to socialize and game. Most of us have DMed at one time or another, but I volunteered (I think) as DM for the first of these annual gatherings. Anyway, the first session of this adventure occurred in the summer of 2001. Since I was reading some story hours at the time, and I knew that it would probably be a full year before the group got together again, and because nobody would remember what happened a year ago, I figured a story summary would be a good ideal. At first I wrote the summaries myself. But later after I realized how much work it was, I got some of the players to volunteer to do the basic write up, which I would edit.

The Wind Riders is the name of the PC's adventuring group, due to the catch phrase "We ride like the wind!" from an early game with these PCs. I had DMed other Wind Riders adventures back in 2nd edition. After the release of 3e, I thought about ways to convert. I liked Tales from the Infinite Staircase, and wanted to try running a very open-ended non-linear adventure. Also a transition to a planar adventure looked like a good way to explain any discrepencies from the conversion to 3e. So the first session actually started in 2e, but switched to 3e fairly quickly. And due to the length of the campaign, we eventually converted to 3.5 as well.

The PCs were probably 5th level single class or 4th/4th multiclass in second edition at the time this adventure starts, so I think everyone was coverted over to third edition at 5th level.

The members of the Wind Riders are (in 3e terms):

Geldar the Azure Mage, human wizard
Jaaron Hillstrider, dwarven fighter/scout
Ka'hari Al Gizaldi, half-elf wizard/rogue (later wilder/rogue)
Kindred Moonsong, elf fighter/sorcerer/arcane archer
Sir Reynard Hardicarnute Quinctius, human paladin
Needles Nimblefingers, halfing thief, er, rogue
Rodney, human monk
Bei Butterfield, human monk
Thantar, dwarven cleric (later retired)
Max, half-orc heavily multiclassed (replacement character for Thantar's player)

My plan is to intersperse some DM notes with the story, commenting on changes to the module and the like.

-RedShirt

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Not in Kansas any more

A blinding flash of purple light explodes around the Wind Riders. Suddenly, the party is falling in darkness and rain. After a short drop, the adventurers, their horses, and the insectoid creature land on solid rock. Standing up from their fallen mounts and bringing out continual light spikes, the adventurers see that they stand on a rocky outcropping thrust out from a steep slope.

The insectoid creature approaches Reynard, chattering at him. Reynard sees that the red creature wears a leather harness and holds two short swords in its two lower hands and a double-bladed halberd in its two upper hands. "Er, we can't speak your language ..." is all Reynard has time to say before the insect creature decides that it has found the source of its troubles. The creature slashes out with its halberd, cutting a deep wound in Reynard's thigh.

The party responds quickly. Geldar and Ka'hari fire magic missiles at the creature. Ka'hari's missiles dissipate as they contact the creature, but Geldar penetrates the creature's spell resistance. As Reynard slashes the thing, Thantar and Kindrid charge forward. Thantar's hammer bounces off the creature's exoskeleton, but Kindrid's blade digs into the creature's leg joint. The creature decides it has had enough, and retreats into the darkness and rain. The Wind Riders decide not to follow.

Several of their mounts have been incapacitated by the fall, so Geldar and Thantar heal both the horses and the injured party members. The party takes shelter under a cliff face and waits for the storm to abate. After several hours the rain stops and the darkness lifts. In a dim light that penetrates the gray clouds above, the party sees a mountainous terrain formed of black basalt. They are standing about halfway up a ridge, approximately 700 feet above and a half-mile away from a fast-moving river. On the far side of the river is another ridge of similar height. Large black flies buzz around them, and strange-looking gray tubular plants grow out of the cracks in the rock.

Kindrid slowly climbs up the slope for a full view. Standing at the ridgeline, he sees that the opposite side of the ridge also drops down to a river. Past the river is another ridge of black stone. Activating his wings of flying, Kindrid takes to the air. What the elf sees is initially discouraging: nothing but more black stone in every direction.

However, down in the river valley he spots several large black-skinned four-legged creatures, apparently grazing on plants by the riverside. The creatures are vaguely horse-shaped, but where the head should be, each creature has a long tapering tentacle that ends in a small sucker-mouth. In addition, near the "horses" is a large perfectly circular pit.

His curiosity taking over, Kindrid flies low, hoping to get a good view of whatever is in the pit. He finds out sooner than he hoped! As Kindrid passes over the pit, nearly a dozen black rubbery tentacles burst out, grabbing the elf and pulling him inexorably down.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Rereading my own comment above, I see some irony in starting a "open-ended non-linear adventure" by throwing the PCs through an interdimensional portal with no saving throw. But I think I had told the players it was going to be a planar adventure, and our group is usally pretty good about "this is what the DM has prepared, so let's run with it".

In terms of changes, the module stated this plane not have any daytime at all. I figured that would be more frustrating than interesting, and there were plenty of other features to provide an alien environment, and dropped that.

Eventually, I'll get around to posting about the very large scale changes I made to expand the module.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
The Dark Dweller

After being dragged into the pit, Kindrid is pulled through a series of narrow tunnels at amazing speeds. In a matter of seconds, the tentacles drop him on solid ground. A dim red light emanates from a mass of black tentacles hanging from the ceiling 30 feet above, illuminating a cavern about 50 feet in diameter. The cave is warm and humid, with a fetid stench and watery gurgling sounds.

A vast presence brushes against Kindrid's mind. "Moon. Song. Kindrid," says a flat, alien voice in his head. Kindrid feels like something is slithering in the back of his brain.

"Kindridmoonsongotherbeingsreferencebythisappellation." Pause. "Kindrid Moonsong. Others beings reference by this appellation."

"Yes, I'm Kindrid Moonsong. What are you? What do you want?"

"Kindrid Moonsong constitutes foreign matter," says the flat voice. "Danger from foreign matter exists. Kindrid Moonsong, explain presence."

"Er, we didn't ask to come here. My friends and I were caught in a random interplanar portal and got dropped here. Who are you?"

"Understood. Other beings reference this being by appellation Dark Dweller. Kindrid Moonsong constitutes foreign matter. Foreign matter contains contaminants. Certain contaminants create danger to this space. This being removes contaminants. Kindrid Moonsong and ... friends ... will submit to scouring." Kindrid senses that the last statement is a question.

"Why not just send us home? We don't want to stay."

"Not within capabilities. Capabilities of this being concern scouring. Even temporary exposure of this space to contaminants can create danger. This being performs scouring to remove contaminants. Process not harmful." Pause. "In return, this being assists departure of Kindrid Moonsong and friends from this space."

"May I consult with my friends?"

After a second, the mental voice replies "Affirmative. Understand intent of Kindrid Moonsong not destructive. Return quickly. Contaminants also create danger to foreign matter."

The tentacles descend from the ceiling and grasp Kindred tightly. Once again, Kindred is carried through a series of narrow tunnels at amazing speeds, but this time the elf is deposited adjacent the pit. Kindrid returns to the rest of the Wind Riders and explains what has happened. The party debates accepting help from the Dark Dweller, but soon concludes they have little choice.

It takes several hours for the party to make its way down the black rock slopes. No sunset is visible, but the light starts to fade. Thantar heals the wounds of the adventurers, and the group sets camp for the night at the bottom of the river valley.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Slaiyiths and Lizardfolk

The next day, the Wind Riders gather around the pit. The tentacles grab the party members and their mounts one by one, and carry them into the central cavern. There the Dark Dweller explains in its alien cadence that visitors contain "contaminants" that pose a danger to this plane, and the Dark Dweller exists to purge these contaminants by a process it called the "scouring". It assures them that the scouring is not harmful.

Not trusting the creature, but not seeing other options, the party agrees to undergo the scouring in return for assistance. A flash of great heat cuts through the humidity. The adventures feel refreshed yet subtly different. They can't pinpoint the source of the later feeling, which quickly fades. <1>

"Scouring complete," announces the Dark Dweller. "Kindrid Moonsong and friends deposited near Slaiyith encampment. Proceed in direction opposed to current flow to triangle rock, then proceed uphill. Slaiyiths provide assistance."

Less than a minutes later, the Wind Riders are deposited in a different river valley. The adventurers trek for an hour, leading their horses on the dark brown dirt of the river valley until the see a large triangular rock. They then turn uphill, and after fifteen minutes they reach a crest and gaze down into a small valley. In the center of the valley, next to a small stream, stands a stone obelisk inscribed with runes.

Seven bizarre creatures congregate around the obelisk. Each has a mottled black bulbous body from which extend several pseudopods. Some of the pseudopods end in maws filled with chitinous teeth; other pseudopods end in red-rimmed eyeballs.

The party approaches the Slaiyiths, their hands raised and empty to show their peaceful intent. Several of the Slaiyiths approach, making wheezing and watery noises. Geldar quickly casts tongues.

"Hairy bipeds! Who are you and what are your intentions? What can you tell us of the grublings?" the Slaiyiths are asking.

Geldar introduces the Wind Riders, and explains how they have been stranded on this plane and directed to the Slaiyiths by the Dark Dweller. One of the Slaiyith is not surprised. It explains that strange green and purple lights have been flashing in the sky these past two months. Twelve days ago, nearly a dozen scaly green-skinned bipedal creatures fell from the sky. When the Slaiyiths could not communicate, the creatures became angry, and stole the grublings. If the adventures retrieve the grublings, the Slaiyiths will activate the powers of the obelisk to open an interdimensional portal. Before his spell expires, Geldar is able to ask enough questions to determine that the creatures have set a walled encampment on the far side of the ridge.

The Wind Riders march up the to the top of the ridgeline, then follow a slight trail down the other side into a region of large tubular plants. Needles scouts ahead. When the adventurers have reach nearly reached the riverside, Needles reports back. He has spotted a lizardman fort or encampment ahead. Apparently, the lizardmen have constructed a palisade from the tubular plants. The palisade cuts off a small spit of land that projects into the river. Inside the palisade are several flimsy buildings, and a cage containing five small squirmy tentacled creatures.

Based on Needle's report, the Wind Riders launch their attack on the fort. Taken completely by surprise, the lizardmen are no match for the adventurers. Geldar casts invisibility on Needles and Ka'hari, who then strike down the gate guards. Rodney rushes to the cage and defends the grublings. More lizardmen are disabled by a stinking cloud, and others are dispatched with sword or hammer. Finally, their shaman leader emerges to fight Thantar and Reynard, but he is quickly slain.

The lizardmen defeated, Ka'hari and Rodney load the grublings onto a makeshift sled, which they pull back to the Slaiyiths. As they travel, the grublings gnaw on their own eyestalks and spit up black puss.

"I used to think most babies were cute," remarks Ka'hari, "but these creatures have cured me of that idea."

When the adventurers reach the obelisk, the Slaiyiths rush out, waving their tentacles about. Geldar's tongues spell has ended, but clearly the creatures are excited. The party watches the Slaiyiths gently place four of the grublings into mossy nests. But the party also sees a Slaiyith squish one of the grublings into a black goo and then suction it up with an appendage. <2> Unable to communicate or ask questions, the adventures retreat from the obelisk, set camp, and rest.

----------

<1> This is the point at which I asked the players to switch to the 3rd edition versions of their characters.

<2> So, are the grublings children or food? The Slaiyith biology is so alien that the grublings could be both.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
Onto the Infinite Staircase

The next morning, Geldar recasts tongues. The Slaiyith leader explains, "Many buddings ago, biped creatures visited us from the obelisk. They taught us a ritual to open a portal to a place they called the Stairwell. Once you pass through the portal, you must choose right, left, up, right, left, down, left, right, up." Geldar repeats the directions.

"Got it," says Thantar, "let's get moving!"

The Slaiyiths begin a multitonal droning, which rises and falls in intensity. Soon, a bright crease appears on the obelisk, which widens into the shimmering curtain of light. The adventurers (and their mounts) step through.

The Wind Riders find themselves standing on a stone platform about forty feet square. The platform is seemingly suspended in midair in a grayish haze. Behind them is a door formed of an unknown bone-white material inscribed with weird, disturbing runes in a plain bone-white frame. Directly ahead of them, a stone stair rises upward into the air, apparently unsupported. To their left, another stone stair heads downward. Far in the distance, partially obscured by haze, Ka'hari can see more walkways and stairs suspended in midair.

After some debate, the party selects the stairwell heading up. They climb for about forty-five minutes, with the stairs turning first one direction, then another. The adventurers then reach a wooden platform about twenty feet square. Another wooden stairwell leads down to the right. At the left edge of the wood platform is an iron-bound wood door in a wooden doorframe. Ka'hari searches and listens at the door, but finds nothing. She tries to open the door, but it will not budge, so the adventurers continue down the stairs to the right. After about another hour, they reach a silvery metal platform. A metallic blue door is on the left side of the platform, whereas a metal walkway leads straight ahead. Looking out across empty space to the right, about three hundred feet away they see a vertical stone platform set with a stone door that appears to jut out horizontally. The party proceeds along the metal walkway for about twenty minutes, and reaches another metal platform. Here, one metal stair leads up to the right, a stone stair leads down straight ahead, and a copper door with black scorch marks at the corners stands to the left. After more debate the party climbs down the stairs to the left.

The adventurers continue climbing, seeing stairs of every possible composition. There are stairs of metal, stone, wood, and bone. Some stairs are ornately carved, but others are plain. About every thirty to forty-five minutes they reach a platform. Most of the platforms have one door, but a few have two or more doors, and a few platforms have no doors. The doors are similarly varied, and none will open. About every three or four platforms, there is a choice between two or three different stairs. The party becomes argumentative, as there is no sign of whether or not they are following the directions correctly. After about another five hours, the party settles to rest.

The Wind Riders spend the first half of the next day climbing stairs. They pass through an area where small blue mushrooms grow on the sides of the stairs, then through an area where the stairs wind around huge stone columns. Around mid-day, after passing about nine platforms, they reach ladder. The party sets camp.

After resting, Geldar casts reduce on the horses, and the party carries their mounts up the ladder. They continue climbing up and down the stairs, entering a region where translucent bubbles float through the air, then a region where the haze is particularly dense, and then a region where lightning bugs crawl on the sides of the stairs.

Near the end of the day, after passing another eighteen platforms, the adventurers see a bulky 7-foot tall creature with gray hide and bat-ears heading down the stairs toward them. The party backs up, retreating to a nearby platform. The creature passes them without speaking. Reynard concentrates on the creature, but his stomach jumps and bile rises to his throat. This creature is the strongest evil he has ever detected! The creature looks back at the adventurers and sneers, and then stomps down the next stairway. The adventurers climb for another half-hour, then camp on a wooden platform.

Again, the Wind Riders spend most of the next day climbing stairs. They pass through a region with small waterfalls pouring past the platforms, then an area with an orange lichen growing on the stairs. Some time in mid-afternoon, the party reaches the point that think their directions are leading them. They climb to several platforms, but none of the doors will open, and there is no sign of anything "unusual" here (beyond the bizarre environment itself). Discouraged and angry, the adventurers set to arguing again.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
The players got frustrated here - even as travelling they weren't sure they had recorded the directions correctly, they weren't sure they were interpreting the directions correctly, and there was no sign of whether they were following the directions correctly. And once they got to the "destination", there was nothing to do.

The background here that the players didn't know was that the directions were correct but useless at this point. The "bidped creatures" left directions from the Slaiyith world to their home world. These humanoids also assumed that those entering the Staircase would have the analyze portal spell or something similar in order to determine how to open the doorways. But at this point, the players didn't have the analyze portal spell or even know about portal keys. Eventually they would have to meet another traveller on the Staircase who would be willing to help them.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
The Planewalker's Guild

It is early evening when they meet their next encounter, a human-looking male with hair of living flame. Fortunately, he speaks draconic and is willing to talk. He introduces himself as Winthrys, and states that he is a fire genasi from the City of Brass on the Elemental Plane of Fire.

Geldar expresses an interest in visiting, and Winthrys looks speculatively at the wizard. "Indeed, there are many secrets concerning the forces of magical fire in my home. I am certain suitable arrangements could be made once we arrive. You would learn much. Certainly you would learn something unexpected."

Reynard senses something sinister in Winthrys's comment, but Geldar blithely continues negotiating. However, Winthrys explains that he does not wish to be delayed in returning; he expects the Wind Riders to leave their horses behind in order to make better time climbing the staircase. The adventurers, not trusting the fire genasi, and unwilling to split the party or abandon their mounts to starve, decide to decline Winthrys's invitation.

The Wind Riders are packing camp the next morning when they spot another group of adventurers approaching up the stairs.

"Hail and well met," shouts Reynard. "Hail and well met," they reply. Wary introductions are made. The group includes a male human in full plate with a greatsword named Gerindos, a female half-elf in a chain shirt named Ferley, a female human in full plate and carrying the symbol of Fortuna named Kilder, and a male gnome in leather armor named Namros. Reynard does not detect any evil auras about them. The group won't say where they are going, but only that they are "on a job".

While Reynard explains how the Wind Riders got onto these stairs, Needles overhears Namros mutter "clueless primes".

Gerindos explains that the Wind Riders are on "The Infinite Staircase", a transitive plane that connects to many other planes of existence. Gerindos notes the party has actually come a fair distance, from what he terms the depths of the Infinite Staircase. He gives the party clear directions to a place called the Planewalker's Guild, where many like-minded planar adventurers congregate. Perhaps there the Wind Riders can find information to lead them home. Gerindos says that it is normally about a three hour climb, although with their mounts it probably will take two or three times as long.

After nearly eight hours of climbing and passing fourteen platforms, the Wind Riders begin to hear noises of humanoid voices and humanoid activity in the distance. They climb another half-hour and pass one more platform, and now look down onto the Planewalker's Guild through the haze. On a particularly large platform, probably a quarter-mile on a side, there is a jumble of buildings, tents and other structures. Some of buildings are even constructed on the adjacent broad stairwells.

The Wind Riders eagerly climb downward, arriving at an open metal gate set onto the stairway. Guards ask their business, and direct the group to a squat tower, which is the Planewalker's Guild headquarters.

As the Wind Riders walk through the small town constructed on the platform, they note that the merchants are selling an unusual variety of goods. "Get your aquatic animals here! Live lobsters, crabs and crayfish! You need a giant trout, I can arrange it!" shouts one merchant. "Vampire dust, desiccated ghoul tongue! Sir, can I interest you in burnt ectoplasm?" asks another merchant.

In the squat tower, the Wind Riders meet the leaders of the Planewalker’s Guild, Hav’run Thain, a short minotaur with sharpened horns, and Vagis, a winged avian humanoid.

Hav’run notes that about one-thousand people live on this landing, and that everyone is welcome to stay so long as they cause no violence and can contribute to the community. When asked about membership at the Planewalker’s Guild, Hav’run explains that membership is a mere 100 gold pieces, although it has relatively few benefits. In brief, members of the guild will share contacts and information on navigating the Infinite Staircase, such as location of particular doorways or known dangers on the Stairwell. For example, if the party plans to visit a world without gravity, Hav’run could send them to a trainer who specializes in low-gravity tactics.

Geldar explains that the party has become stranded, and is seeking to return to their home. Hav’run asks for identifying information, such as the names of the largest nations or cities, the strength of magic on the world, and the like. After Geldar answers, Hav’run glances at Vagis, and the avian silently shakes his head, "no". Hav’run looks glum, but says he will make some inquiries, and Vagis will review several texts. Hav’run directs the adventurers to the Inn of the Sleepy Siren, where the party stables its mounts and enjoys their first sleep in beds in two weeks.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
The lillendi

The next morning, the adventurers return to Hav’run Thain and join the Planewalker’s Guild. Hav’run expresses his regrets, but he and Vagis have not found any information to locate the Seven Kingdoms. However, he can offer some advice. The Wind Riders should travel to Argentil, the Temple of the Moon, on Arcadia<1>, and speak with the lillendi. The lillendi are the “sponsors” of the Infinite Staircase, and will assist lost planar travelers. Hav’run provides directions to a nearby portal to the Temple of the Moon, and explains that they will need to cast a light spell on the door to open it.

Several of the Wind Riders decide to stay at the Guild to train or scribe scrolls, but Kindrid, Ka’hari and Reynard set out. They climb for half an hour. At the second platform, Kindrid and Ka’hari find an opalescent door set in frame of deep blue marble. Ka’hari casts light, and door opens. Beyond is a pristine white sand beach lit by moonlight. Gentle waves roll rhythmically up onto the sand, then fall back into the dark sea. Above the beach are gentle rolling hills covered in verdant grass. In the distance, the adventurers see a tall opalescent spire.

The three adventurers step through the portal and stand on the beach. Although the setting is tranquil, Kindrid and Reynard begin to experience a tickling sensation that is slightly distracting. Ka'hari, however, feels invigorated and refreshed.

The three adventurers set off across the hills toward the spire. On their way, they meet several glowing female humanoids composed of moonlight and flame. One walks forward. In a shimmering voice, she introduces herself as Melanthe. She will escort the three adventurers to Argentil.

Melanthe leads Kindrid, Ka’hari and Reynard through dim but peaceful woods and glades for half an hour. Then, ahead of them, they see a huge, smooth building that flows upwardly into a two-thousand foot tall spire. The whole of the building glistens like polished silver and glows with a pale light. Melanthe leads the adventurers past a sixty-foot tall golem formed of a silvery metal, and into an eighty-foot tall entry hallway directly at the foot of the spire. Melanthe gestures to a small side passage, and turns away. Kindrid watches her graceful form depart, thinking Arcadia isn't such a bad place to visit.

The adventurers walk into the passage, which immediately opens into a small chamber, perhaps forty feet square. The room is well decorated with artwork; paintings hang on the walls, and several pieces of sculpture stand about the room. Near the center of the room is a female creature coiled by an easel. She has the upper body of a human woman, a lower torso of a multicolored serpent about fifteen feet long, and feathered wings of green and gold. She is unclothed, although artfully draped jewelry protects her modesty.

“Greetings Kindrid, Ka’hari, Reynard. May the moon light your path. My name is Telemarentala,” she says in a voice like clear bells, as she continues to paint.

Greetings are exchanged, and Telemarentala explains that she is one of the lillendi, the protectors and patrons of the Infinite Staircase. Ka’hari requests her help in returning to their home, and explains how they became stranded.

“Ah,” says the lillendi, “we can assist you, but as is so often the case, we require a service, although hopefully a service that you would desire to perform. As I have said, we lillendi are the protectors of the Infinite Staircase. The Staircase connects to many places, although it focuses on places where creativity and artistic expression is strong. Very recently, we have felt a tremor, a taint. Certain areas, once strong with creativity, now grow dull and bland. The suddenness of this change is a cause for concern. We need someone to investigate, and determine what is occurring and if any remedy can be performed. You are capable and intelligent. Bring us useful information, and we will find a path to your home.”

“Of course, once we have this information, we will probably have to stop our painting and sculpture in order to enact the remedy.” She stops painting in mid-brushstroke, and her voice falls lower. “And if some being is responsible, we will have to don our armor and weaponry. We will have to depart our peaceful Argentil,” she says, her face stern and her voice now harsh, “and we will have to track down this villain and exact retribution!” After a moment, her features relax, and she resumes painting. “So if you were able to find a way to resolve this malady without our intervention, you would have our gratitude.”

Telemarentala explains that they have performed several divinations, and have identified six doorways that are somehow associated with the disturbance. Of course, each doorway has its own key. The names of doorways and their associated keys (in no particular order) are:

“Swirling Realm”, five discordant notes

“City of Wind”, a live swallow

“Queen’s Domain”, a solid silver rod at least 5 inches long

“Jingling Fortress”, a solid strike with a blunt weapon

“Slopes of Contemplation”, an once of quicksilver

“Silver War”, a memory of the color gray

Telemarentala provides directions to each doorway from the Planewalker’s Guild, but has no other useful information.

Kindrid, Ka’hari, and Reynard exit the Temple of the Moon and return to the stone archway where they arrived. Ka’hari casts light on the archway, and a shimmering portal to the Infinite Staircase appears. They head back to the Planewalker’s Guild, and as they approach the small enclave, Reynard has an epiphany. “I see! That’s what the markets are for. Who knows how many doors there are or what the keys might be, so the vendors are ready to sell nearly anything.” The three adventurers return to the Sleepy Siren and inform the rest of the Wind Riders of what they have learned, and the party discusses their course of action into the night.

<1> Names of several planes are changed from standard Great Wheel terminology in my campaign. Arcadia would otherwise be Arborea. The plane that would be Arcadia is called Harmonium.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases