Modular encounter Areas!

Scribble

First Post
So 4e has an emphasis on "fun" combat that involves not just the monsters but also the terrain and features of the combat "area."

I was thinking maybe all the creative peeps at enworld might want to get together and put together a big book of encounters...

Maybe in the Wiki?

The idea wouldn't be to create an entire adventure, just a load of encounter areas DMs have built, or maybe used in their own games and found interesting or that they worked particularily well.

That way individual DMs strapped for time, or just facinf Adventure Writer's block, can just grab an encounter area that fits, or just use them for inspiration...

Maybe if we use the wiki then we can have an easier time sorting them...

IE a section for square rooms, and a section for rectangular rooms and stuff...

I guess to do it, we'd need everyone to upload the map of the encounter area a description, plus all other relevant info: like monsters and terrain and traps and such found in it...

Essentially like you would get for an adventure, but just a single encounter...

Anyone game?

Roger

First Post
This is more-or-less what I've tried to do with Points of Conflict; I have two modular encounters currently for free download:

http://roger.carbol.com/rpg/4e/poc/poc.htm

I don't mind if they're linked to from the Wiki; I'd rather they weren't actually hosted or mirrored there, all other things being equal.

I obviously think it's a good idea, and I hope to see some other good encounters from other authors.

Cheers,
Roger

Rechan

Adventurer
Here's one I am very eager to implement:

Semi-quickly moving river, plus floating logs.

Another would involve a crumbling floor.

Round 1: Step on square, you can stand there.
Round 2: Step off square, or make an acrobatics check not to fall.
Round 3: Get off, or square disintegrates, meaning you fall.

Last edited:

Badgerish

First Post
This does sound like a nice idea, would be good to see other people's ideas on how to layout encounters and how much space to include.

Here is a biiig thread of semi-random encounters, some of them have details on the encounter location, one has a full map because i had a certain idea in my mind when planning it
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=397870

Ginnel

Explorer
Wouldn't it be a cooler to have random terrain and objects section in the wiki as well as sample terrains/rooms.

Wiki
4th Edition
Terrain/Objects and a seperate Sample Encounter Terrain section

Then people could suggest rules for random terrain like small stream, fast flowing river, Lava, gently sloping hill (run adds + 3 to movement instead if going down, difficult terrain moving up) and you could also add in things like Iron maidens, pit traps or even tables.

Would be cool to add in the D&D/Paizo tiles and suggest features for the bits on the tiles, hand in hand With the photos which were taken of them by Thannee?

Scribble

First Post
Wouldn't it be a cooler to have random terrain and objects section in the wiki as well as sample terrains/rooms.

Wiki
4th Edition
Terrain/Objects and a seperate Sample Encounter Terrain section

Yeah, I like this idea too...

People could build an encounter, then add the full encounter, and then if they built any special terrain or objects they could add those out in seperate sections as well... Then people can use those to build other encounter areas, and if they want upload those areas as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases