Dragon Magazine #365's Character Concepts: Masterful optimization advice by WotC

RigaMortus2

First Post
So, remember how Dragon Magazine used to give us progressions for wonderful builds such as Ranger 10/Cleric 10 and Barbarian 10/Wizard 10 back in the era of 3.5? It seems like that tradition has continued for Dragon in the time of 4.0. WotC has once again set sail for fail and showed us that they themselves cannot make good builds to save their lives.

http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=16431259#post16431259

The first build, the teleportation-based eladrin Fey Pact warlock/wizard/Feyborn/Archmage, is actually somewhat decent and accomplishes its job of being a mobile battlefield rearranger, though it illegally enters the Archmage epic destiny as a warlock through the Arcane Initiate feat. The second build, however, the eladrin fighter/wizard/Wizard of the Spiral Tower/Eternal Seeker... oh man, you are not ready for this. Here's a list of all the things that are either poor choices or illegal choices about that mockery of a gish build:

• Fighter/wizard. No, just no, you are shooting yourself in the foot here. You don't even get to use Corellon's Implement, and you're in a fiasco due to your lack of a shield. Even without the Intelligence-based swordmage released, there are better ways to be a warrior-mage: an Infernal Pact warlock/fighter/Iron Vanguard (Hexhammer), for example, or a Tactical Presence warlord/wizard/Battle Captain. Even an actual wizard benefits more from going Wizard of the Spiral Tower than a fighter/wizard.
• Point-buy array of 16 Strength, 10 Dexterity (12 for eladrin), 12 Constitution, 14 Intelligence (16 for eladrin), 13 Wisdom, 11 Charisma. This is a terribad array that doesn't even get you Heavy Blade Opportunity or Heavy Blade Mastery. An array of 16 Strength, 13 Dexterity (15 for eladrin), 11 Constitution, 16 Intelligence (18 for eladrin), 10 Wisdom, 8 Charisma would be better. Or if you want a little more Strength in exchange for no HBO or HBM, then go genasi with 16 Strength (18 for genasi), 10 Dexterity, 12 Constitution, 16 Intelligence (18 for genasi), 12 Wisdom, 8 Charisma.
• Magic Missile selected for the Arcane Initiate power. Come on, you're a friggin' fighter, you want Thunderwave because it lets you mark several enemies at once, and it's a blast so you don't provoke AoOs for using it in melee.
• How do you replace Cleave with Thunderwave at level 11 when you're going Wizard of the Spiral Tower? This is a glaring error. Oh wait, from the rest of the level 11-20 guide, it seems like he's actually going paragon multiclassing instead of Wizard of the Spiral Tower. Multiclass drifting, awesome!
• Taking Armor Specialization (Scale) at level 18 with only 13 Dexterity is illegal.
• Devastating Critical is a very poor feat to take at level 20.
• Oh good lord, don't tell me you're actually going Eternal Seeker for your epic destiny. You're already paragon multiclassing into wizard, and now this?
• Taking Heavy Blade Mastery at level 26 with only 14 Dexterity is likewise illegal.
• Brute Strike as the level 29 fighter daily. Force the Battle is now in a corner crying.
• You've got a longsword (later, a bastard sword) in one hand and... a large shield AND a wand in the other for both Tide of Iron and your implement. That's flagrantly illegal.
• Eladrin Soldier does not apply any more once you take Weapon Proficiency (bastard sword), and it should be retrained into Weapon Focus (Heavy Blades).
• The Eternal Seeker lets you gain only encounter/daily attack powers from other classes, not utilities, so selecting Own the Battlefield at level 22 is illegal.

Mengu

First Post
I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out what happened at what level, and why there was stuff like Eladrin Soldier and Weapon Focus. I noticed the Scale specialization mistake too. At 20th level status report, I was looking at Cleave and trying to remember, didn't he ditch this for Thunderwave, did he for some strange reason get it back? I guess it's cut and paste error. I also noticed his artwork looks rather human. I can't help but wonder if they changed concepts midway and simply ran into editorial issues that never got cleaned up.

I've seen people do level ups to 30th level on these boards, and it looks a heck of a lot cleaner than that article.

I was wondering about that "Spiral Tower" business. Thanks for giving us a more complete list of the apparent errors in this article, RigaMortus2.

I realize it's an expression of your personality and your style, RigaMortus2, but it would be more constructive for the community if you adopted a less sarcastic tone. (In particular, I'm referring to the misleading title of this thread.) Please don't interpret this suggestion as derision or personal attack; I happen to respect the substantial contributions you've made both here and at Gleemax.

FadedC

First Post
I seem to remember they also have the fighter/wizard take the power Get Over Here (fighter utility 2) in order to move enemies into his AoE.....ignoring the fact that it only works on friendly targets.

With that being said, as bad as these builds are, I'd take one in my party over a barbarian 10/wizard 10 anyday.

What's wrong with sarcasm? Aren't message boards the practice ground for it?
...Yes. And with some effort, we can be better than that. (Btw, Mengu, very appropriate sig. :p)

Has anybody got an alternate (and superior) gish build? more specifically, would anyone like to take a crack at "fixing" the article, following the same format and specific intention?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases