Did you know there's a review section here?

Crothian

First Post
I just posted my very first review. I choose Masdters of the Wild becasue it's the book I'm using for my two current characters, a Ranger and a Cleric going Oozemaster. We need more reviews, so I'm going to try to go through many of my books and review them. However, if it turns out I suck at reviewing, I'd like to know. So, please read the review and review the review. It can be found here:

http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=active&reviewer=Crothian&product=MotW

ThomasBJJ

First Post
Well done. There are many books I want to review as well, but time seems to slip away much too fast lately.

I'll say this, the main things I look for in a review are these:

Are the game mechanics sound and balanced?

Is it well written and interesting?

How usefull is the content?

I usually know what the content is, I just like to hear what the well-read D&D community think about some of these books. There are so many to choose from, I'd like to make sure I get the most out of the ones I buy.

Crothian

First Post
Thank you. I figure other reviews give you a very complete summary of the book, so I'm not going to do that. What I am going to do is take the books section by section and tell you my opnion on them. I try to say what I like, what is well done, and what is just crap.

jollyninja

First Post
the summary of the books contents are pretty much the only part of a review i pay alot of attention to. the reviewer's opinion does not matter to me. if the book is a borderline purchase, i'll look at the ratings of all who have reviewed it but the reviewer might not be looking for the same thing i am out of a book. i do not do a particularly good job of reviewing in my opinion so i quit. if anyone wants to check out my reviews they are at the following:

http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=active&reviewer=jollyninja&product=ghel

and

http://www.enworld.org/d20reviews.asp?sub=yes&where=active&reviewer=jollyninja&product=RIPO

i did them after someone started a why don't more people do reviews thread, then i lost interest because it's alot of work for little payoff to do an average review, i felt strongly about these two products. i'll probably do one for the everquest book, i bought it today it's huge.

jollyninja

First Post
yeah, i can see the appeal of doing the ones you are really familiar with but i prefer to do ones that not everyone has allready decided to purchase or not. i'm only going to bother with d20 (as in not core D&D) stuff and the hackmaster swag kenzer sent me to review months ago. the contents of WotC stuff is well known where the contents of mythic races by fantasy flight games is not. i am trying to either be the voice of reason among a sea of fanboys or just do a review for a product that does not have many yet.

i love psion's reviews as he gives good descriptions of the content of the book before his opinions so i read all of them as they come out just to see what's out there.

Crothian

First Post
Now that I have started to do review I will review ever product I have. It will take a while, but I will get through them all eventually. I agree, writing reviews for the lesser known products is very important. I'll get to Mythic Races at some point, and while I like FFG's books, that particuliar book will not rate high at all.

Glyfair

Explorer
jollyninja said:
the summary of the books contents are pretty much the only part of a review i pay alot of attention to. the reviewer's opinion does not matter to me. if the book is a borderline purchase, i'll look at the ratings of all who have reviewed it but the reviewer might not be looking for the same thing i am out of a book.

Personally, I tend to follow specific reviewers when possible. A friend of mine always chides me for listening to reviewers when I comment that I want to see or avoid a movie because of a review. He thinks that's "sheep" mentality.

However, I've gotten to know the local movie reviewer & Roger Ebert pretty well. I can usually tell from reading either of their reviews whether a movie is a must watch, avoid, or wait and see type of movie. Of course, that doesn't mean the opinion matches mine (although I'm very close to Ebert in taste). I can and have read a review from a local reviewer lambasting a movie and realized I want to see it.

Of course, this won't help with those reviewers who post only one or two reviews. That's why I'm glad Morrus instituted the "staff reviewer" position. They are well thought out and described reviews and each reviewer has enough reviews that you can get a feel for their quirks.

Glyfair of Glamis

jollyninja

First Post
Crothian said:
I'll get to Mythic Races at some point, and while I like FFG's books, that particuliar book will not rate high at all.

on that we can agree then, my review will also not be a favorable one. i'm going to try and do a few more, some of products that i do not feel quite so strongly about and as psion says: "before doing a review READ THE FAQ"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases