Living 4th Edition Discussion Thread

Graf

Explorer
This is very very awesome.

I've copied over CS to Character. I'll play around a little bit more but think we're ready to go.

(PS I dumped some of the semi-colons keeping them only to break up items that are different on the same line. Bolding is enough to visually differentiate and splitting up everything on a line with semi-colons is really like splitting up nothing)

But these are really really good.

Graf

Explorer
It's very awesome that you figured out how to get better of int/dex str/con wis/cha to work in the math section of the defenses. (I realize it was probably obvious for people with a coding background but...)

I'll stop gushing now.

Graf

Explorer
Only one problem with defenses is that we need to work out some "heavy armor" tag to prevent int/dex from adding to AC when you're using heavy armor. I was thinking about making an equip bonus > x, but it breaks obviously after a few levels with magic items.

Graf

Explorer
OK. So Cov is definitely right about the magical appearing returns. I deleted all of the extra returns and the space went away.

I've spent a couple of hours hacking away at a powers-to-hit based on ere and cov's various sheets. I doesn't work though.
[For reference sample character looks at summary which is a list of power-to-hit

But we don't need that to start anyway.

Last edited:

Graf

Explorer
I took a stab at fixing the logic on the AC line re: heavy armor.

|ArmorIsHeavy is the new attribute

old
Code:
<td style='background-color:green'>{{#expr:{{#ifexpr:{{{DexMod|0}}}>{{{IntMod|0}}}|{{{DexMod|0}}}|{{{IntMod|0}}}}}+{{{ClassBonAC|0}}}+{{{RaceBonAC|0}}}+{{{FeatBonAC|0}}}+{{{EquipBonAC|0}}}+{{{Levelbonus|0}}}+10}}</td>
</tr>

new
Code:
<td style='background-color:green'>{{#expr:{{#ifeq: {{{|ArmorIsHeavy}}}| ||{{#ifexpr:{{{DexMod|0}}}>{{{IntMod|0}}}|{{{DexMod|0}}}|{{{IntMod|0}}}}}|+{{{ClassBonAC|0}}}+{{{RaceBonAC|0}}}+{{{FeatBonAC|0}}}+{{{EquipBonAC|0}}}+{{{Levelbonus|0}}}+10}}</td>
</tr>

Something, unfortunately, is wrong. So I've left ere's old version. I'll try to look at it tomorrow if I have a chance.

We'll need to do something similar for the basic ranged, because heavy thrown weapons... use strength.

covaithe

Explorer
Just at a glance, this bit looks wrong:
Code:
{{#ifeq: {{{|ArmorIsHeavy}}}| ||

Try instead:
Code:
{{#ifeq: {{{ArmorIsHeavy|}}}|||

I moved the vertical bar to after ArmorIsHeavy, and removed a space, since "" != " ", I think.

It occurs to me that this might be clarified by a helper template. Something like L4W:GreaterOf:

Code:
{{#ifexpr:{{{1}}}>{{{2}}}|{{{1}}}|{{{2}}}}}

Then this becomes possible:

Code:
<td style='background-color:green'>{{#expr:{{L4W:GreaterOf|{{{DexMod|0}}}|{{{IntMod|0}}} }} + {{{ClassBonAC|0}}}+{{{RaceBonAC|0}}}+{{{FeatBonAC|0}}}+{{{EquipBonAC|0}}}+{{{Levelbonus|0}}}+10}}</td>
</tr>

Does it help? I'm not sure.

covaithe

Explorer
I'm leaving town tomorrow, and will be out of touch for a few days. I had really hoped to get character submissions opened by now. I even have a proposal half-typed.

I think we're ready. I think our character sheet is good enough, our char creation rules are good enough, and the regional benefits are tied down enough that any changes we make at this point won't come into play until after launch. The setting, of course, has been ready for a long time.

So I think we should do it. Open character submissions. And, I guess, adventure submissions, though we don't have any guidelines in place for them. We can let those guidelines grow over time. Other facilitators, what do you think?

I suppose this can be considered a formal proposal if you like, or someone can make a proper proposal in its own thread if you prefer, and count this post as a "yes" vote. In my mind, the question is mostly up to the facilitators, since they're the ones who are going to be actually reading and approving characters, but I'm certainly willing to listen to other opinions. If you guys feel that there are important bits of information missing before you can make your characters, that's something we need to know, too.

garyh

First Post
I think we can move forward and open up character submissions. Yeah, we might have a few loose ends here and there, but really, we could keep hammering out little details until 5th edition comes out. I say we get going.

Plus, then maybe we'll be able to hit the 9/15 goal. :)

Graf

Explorer
Cov, thanks for taking a look at the the code, I'll see if I can get it to work.

Can you make more people moderators before you leave (maybe gary?) just so we have somebody who can do it?

I'm gonna take one more pass at the how to make a character thing, there are a few things that it's missing; and add a regional benefit for Ea (Dunamin's been grinding out some good stuff).

Then I suppose we post to the new game thread?

How are we supposed to handle adventure submissions by judges? I mean... if I submit do you and gary check? If I do that can you play in them (I mean, you know what's going to happen...)?

garyh

First Post

How are we supposed to handle adventure submissions by judges? I mean... if I submit do you and gary check? If I do that can you play in them (I mean, you know what's going to happen...)?

Good question. Can any LEW veterans give us an idea how that works?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases