Literary (and other) settings wishlist

So, what literary (or other) fantasy settings, from non-tabletop RPG sources, would you love to see adapted for 4E (or other editions, for that matter)?

Me, I'd kill to see a version of Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique--the "last continent of Earth"--made into an RPG setting, if a publisher could find enough writers capable of following the theme, mood, and writing style of the original short stories.

I'd like to see Pyrdain, from Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles.

And I have to confess, even though I know it was basically a D&D clone to begin with, I'd dearly love to see the setting from the Bard's Tale computer games (the old ones, not the new rip-off)--particularly the city of Skara Brae and the various planes from BT3.

So what're yours?

StickPerson

First Post
It might already have been done, but I'd like to see Jack Vance Dying Earth as a 4th edition setting. Also, I've always wondered what Steven R. Donaldson's "The Land" would be like as a RGP setting. I'm not sure it would work, but I'd like to see a treatment of it.

Others of note:
As to Clark Ashton Smith, I’d like Averoigne (already done back in the olden days of D&D in Castle Amber) givin a 4th edition treatment.

Mervyn Peake’s Gormenghast could be interesting.

Robert Silverberg's world from Lord Valentine’s Castle, more sci-fi, but I’d be intrigued to see what someone could come up with.

Magnamund, the world of the Lone Wolf gamebooks. (I'm aware of the Mongoose treatment. I didn't care for it.)

Donaldson's The Land is a good one.

W.H. Hodgson's The Night Land would be a bizarre, yet stupendously interesting, campaign setting. It would work better for a campaign with a very defined scope, rather than an open-ended setting, though.

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
I'd love to see 4e versions of Conan, Cthulhu, Melnibone, Dying Earth and Lord of the Rings in the format WotC used for their d20 Wheel of Time and Call of Cthulhu books. That is, each in a stand-alone volume.

Obviously, this [most likely] won't happen since these properties are owned by other companies.

John Carter of Mars, as above, assuming it isn't owned by anyone.

Lord Dunsany stuff and maybe a 1,001 Nights setting book.

Groo the Wanderer.

Mercule

Adventurer
And I have to confess, even though I know it was basically a D&D clone to begin with, I'd dearly love to see the setting from the Bard's Tale computer games (the old ones, not the new rip-off)--particularly the city of Skara Brae and the various planes from BT3.
That would be pretty cool, I have to agree.

The "A Man of His Word" series/setting by Dave Duncan is one of my favorites. It's magic system is pretty unique and would be a pain to stat up, but I'd love to see it. Discovering the system is part of the point of the first series, so I'll skip details.

Actually, Duncan's "Knight of the Sword" (IIRC) would be pretty cool, too.

Although I doubt I'd play it, I'd love to see Narnia statted up.

I know the RPG is already in the works, but I really like the Dresden setting.

I think most of the other fantasy works I like have either already been converted or are good because of the story more than the setting. Really, would Mary Stewart's world of the "Crystal Cave" be that interesting if it wasn't for Merlin?

SavageRobby

First Post
I think Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos novels would make for a great game world. Earthsea would make for an interesting setting, done well (but seems like it would be easy to do it poorly). I'd love to see the Horseclans RPG as well (besides the GURPs supplement), although I think D&D probably isn't the right game for the setting. Actually, D&D probably wouldn't make for a good Earthsea, either.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
C. J. Cutcliffe Hyne's The Lost Continent.

As a teen, I always wanted to see Fred Saberhagen's Sword's series get the RPG treatment.

Even though it was based on a D&D campaign . . . Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion series.

garyh

First Post
I'd love to see a 4e Wheel of Time game once the last book is out. I'd also like to see LotR given a 4e treatment, although I know that's never going to happen.

I'd also like to see David Eddings' Elenium and Tamuli (the Sparhawk books) translated to games. Yeah, I know they're not the best literature, but they're fun and I think a good potential campaign setting.

I'd also like to see David Eddings' Elenium and Tamuli (the Sparhawk books) translated to games. Yeah, I know they're not the best literature, but they're fun and I think a good potential campaign setting.

No need to apologize; they're among some of my favorite novels, too. :) Yes, I acknowledge that they have flaws, but--as you say--they're a lot of fun. Sort of the fantasy literature equivalent of an exciting and reasonably well-written summer popcorn movie. I actually prefer them to the Belgariad (and Mallorean) series, even though I read those first.

I'm not 100% certain that there's enough unique about the setting (as opposed to the characters) to make for a full-fledged campaign setting, but I'd love to see someone try it and prove me wrong. :)

Remove ads