Paladin and Implements (Holy Symbol)

Evil DM

First Post
Hi folks,

I just wonder about the Paladin's Holy Symbol Implment.

I agree that it makes some sense that a rightous warrior can call the power of his god through his holy symbol hanging around his neck....
....so much for the flavoer text.

But why are there so few powers which allow an implement?

IIRC for a 1st or 2nd level paladin there is no need to get a holy symbol but for one daily power.

Has someone an explanation for this issue or am I just too narrowminded?

Cheers, Evil DM.

MarkB

Legend
He's a warrior first and a priest second. Most of his powers will naturally revolve around his prowess with weapons.

darkadelphia

First Post
Also, Paladins have a hard enough time dealing with dependence on multiple attributes, should they also be made to depend on multiple magic items?

Bison

First Post
I think the solution is to go out and get a holy avenger :). but if you stumble on a magic holy symbol and you don't have a cleric in the party, I say more power to ya, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, unless you are a pally/cleric multiclass.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I think the solution is to go out and get a holy avenger :). but if you stumble on a magic holy symbol and you don't have a cleric in the party, I say more power to ya, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one, unless you are a pally/cleric multiclass.

It is kind of entertaining that a cleric can get just as much use out of a holy avenger as a paladin, if not more.

Brad

Jhaelen

First Post
Perhaps there will be additional implement powers in the Divine Powers Book?
I assume so. E.g. the Cleric of Pelor mini uses a 'thurible'. I also assume the tome will make a return as one of the wizards' implement choices.

For paladins I could imagine a feat allowing them to use a shield as their holy symbol, just like in 3E. A vestment/armor might also be a possibility, although that would probably be too advantageous.

Bison

First Post
I assume so. E.g. the Cleric of Pelor mini uses a 'thurible'. I also assume the tome will make a return as one of the wizards' implement choices.

For paladins I could imagine a feat allowing them to use a shield as their holy symbol, just like in 3E. A vestment/armor might also be a possibility, although that would probably be too advantageous.

as far as the shield goes, I don't see why you couldn't do that right now without a feat. The mechanics of the holy symbol say it only has to be "worn". having a holy symbol set into a shield could qualify for this mechanic (I don't see anything game breaking about allowing that if I were a DM).

If a player wants to go that route, I say let 'em do it now

Edit: the same logic goes for the vestment/armor too I suppose

Remove ads