H3 Pyramid of Shadows - I Have It!

Shroomy

Adventurer
I managed to finagle a copy of WoTC's newest adventure, James Wyatt and Mike Mearl's Pyramid of Shadows today (I couldn't get my hands on a copy of the FRCS). I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I can tell you that it is in the same format as Thunderspire Labyrinth. It consists of two booklets; the shorter booklet contains the adventure overview/background information, new monsters, and supplemental artwork, while the second contains the adventure proper. It also comes with a single, eight-panel, full-color, double-sided battlemap depicting three encounter areas in the adventure.

While I haven't had a chance to really read the adventure, I'll try to answer questions as best I can. For starters, here are the new monsters:

New Monsters
[sblock]
Arboreans - evil humanoid plants that come in four varieties (Arborean Reaper [Level 7 Soldier], Arborean Watcher [Level 7 Lurker], Arborean Speaker [Level 10 Controller (Leader)], and Arborean Plant Terror [Level 11 Elite Brute]).
Charnel Lord (Level 10 Elite Soldier) - a unique, variant otyugh.
Charnel Rats (Level 7 Minions) - corrupted servitors of the Charnel Lord
Eater of Knowledge - Vecna's hunger for knowledge taken humanoid form. Three varieties: Voidblade (Level 6 Soldier), Thoughtbow (Level 7 Artiller), and Mindstrike (Level 8 elite controller)
[/sblock]

Rechan

Adventurer
I love these threads. :D And oh wow, you cut to the chase with telling us the monsters up front. I hope you are prepared to deal with the onslaught of questions.

I'd really like more details about these guys:

[sblock]
Arboreans - evil humanoid plants that come in four varieties (Arborean Reaper [Level 7 Soldier], Arborean Watcher [Level 7 Lurker], Arborean Speaker [Level 10 Controller (Leader)], and Arborean Plant Terror [Level 11 Elite Brute]).
Like, what kinda plants are they? Trees? Do they walk about, or are they rooted in the spot? What abilities do they have in general?

I ask because my campaign is in jungles and swamps; I want as much plant monsters as I can get my grubby hands on.[/sblock]

Shroomy

Adventurer
I love these threads. :D And oh wow, you cut to the chase with telling us the monsters up front. I hope you are prepared to deal with the onslaught of questions.

I'd really like more details about these guys:

[sblock]Like, what kinda plants are they? Trees? Do they walk about, or are they rooted in the spot? What abilities do they have in general?

I ask because my campaign is in jungles and swamps; I want as much plant monsters as I can get my grubby hands on.[/sblock]

Arborean SPOILERS: [sblock] Arboreans, and their Underdark cousins known as valloreans, are a race of mobile plant humanoids who are religiously devoted to a sacred grove of plants, which they believe contain the souls of their deceased ancestors. Arboreans are cruel and violent creatures that hunt down intruders, string them up over their sacred groves, and bleed them to death to nourish their plants. Most Arboreans are scythe wielding reapers who can fling volleys of poisonous needles. Watchers lurk at the edge of Arborean territory with the ability to become invisible and strike with animated vines. Arboreans are led by religious leaders known as Speakers who expel a variety of poisonous spores. Groves are protected by Plant Terrors, giant-sized amalgams of blood-drenched soil, roots, and plants. [/sblock]

evilref

Explorer
While I haven't had a chance to really read the adventure, I'll try to answer questions as best I can. For starters, here are the new monsters:

Can you say what the premise is and how it ties into the rest of the Vale?

I want to weave all of the 1-10 into a tighter linked campaign than just the three separate adventures with loose links.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Can you say what the premise is and how it ties into the rest of the Vale?

I want to weave all of the 1-10 into a tighter linked campaign than just the three separate adventures with loose links.
Yeah, 'cause loose links slink slips.

Um, what?

winndwalker

Explorer
Arboreans sound awesome. 'Wonder what I'm going to be able to use to represent them.

Hey Shroomy, can you post a list of all the monsters please?

Looks like it's mini hunting time again.

pukunui

Legend
I'll third the request for a full list of minis.

I would also like to know if there are any hooks for P1: King of the Trollhaunt Warrens in it.

p.s. Thanks, Shroomy, for the fluff about the arboreans, although I note that it still doesn't really tell us what they look like. Is there a picture of them at least? Do their statblocks and/or the encounters in which they appear have descriptive text? I think that's my biggest disappointment with the 4e MM: no descriptive text.

Remove ads