Travelling PC's

Byronic

First Post
How do you deal with PC's travelling to places that they (by right) should know very little of?

For example if a player character travels to another plane of existence where customs are different then he's ever encountered (possibly with a different language as well). For a less magical setting to another continent.

Would you make up a custom skill for the campaign (for example "speaking foreign languages, anthropology")

Would you give them magical items? Give them a group version of comprehend languages (ritual)?

Fenes

First Post
I don't sweat languages - that's what common is there.

The customs and other unique parts? Dealing with them is a big part of the fun, so that gets roleplayed out until the PCs and players are comfortable with it/used to it.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
If plane travel, there is a "trade tongue" the players can learn that will get them by on those heavy traveled roads but they must lrean the language. If they get away from the beaten path, they have to learn the languages as they come across them.

Now, I do group languages in families. Elf is a family and the language is spoke on a number of planes but the greater the distance from the prime the harder it is to understand, the player can make skill checks until he gets it.

Then there are items, spells and creatures that will help, the players can buy these at a trading post of the planes.

hopeless

Adventurer
4e or other edition?

How do you deal with PC's travelling to places that they (by right) should know very little of?

For example if a player character travels to another plane of existence where customs are different then he's ever encountered (possibly with a different language as well). For a less magical setting to another continent.

Would you make up a custom skill for the campaign (for example "speaking foreign languages, anthropology")

Would you give them magical items? Give them a group version of comprehend languages (ritual)?

Don't tell them, the closest i got to this in 3.0 was having my character stuck in hell by the actions of another player goaded by another.

I was quite prepared for my character to be killed off but ended up being one of the survivors of course there was the matter of being caught by a symbol of insanity before being dropped off in hell that involved a symbol being activated on a door that according to the dm can effect anyone in the room even though it clearly states it has to be seen to work and my character was not only hidden from view of it by a pillar but was at the time looking away from its direction since he was holding off some undead with a holy symbol at the time...

He had us then jumped by major demons before being stuck in Ravenloft (that was the only part I liked since it was one of those audio adventures from 2e) and then treated it as a variation of Maze spell before the demon invasion at dragonspear castle routine.

So take another look at the game you want to run, just pause and think on what they could pull, what you want to run and find a middle course to plan along.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases