Thread: Chessex Battlemats & Megamats
Saturday, 30th August, 2008, 09:38 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2002
- Massachusetts, USA
ř Ignore Clint
Chessex Battlemats & Megamats
Chessex Mats serve a simple but useful function: providing a nice surface for your combat visualization.
Description / Criteria for Review:
I own the smaller of the two mats, which I bought for $12. The mat is thin laminated organic material, a pleasent beige color. On it is a clearly printed grid, 22 by 25 squares.
My group has used it weekly for four months.
* Conforms to 3e scale, 1" per 5'.
* The mat is easy to transport (rolls up nicely) and doesn't feel flimsy.
* Works -perfectly- with Fiery Dragon's Counter Collections, although we also use coins in a pinch.
* Easy to draw temporary terrain with wet-erase ('overhead projector') markers. Re-use is perfect: I drew a 'scripted' combat location on it five days before the gaming session. After the session, the markers still washed off perfectly.
* 22 x 25 squares is only 110 x 125 feet area in-game, which isn't really enough for some combats. This isn't so much a problem with the mat, more with the problem of how to represent long distances with the 1" = 5' scale. I am considering purchasing the larger mat to solve this problem, although it's likely going to run off the table.
* Requires wet-erase markers and not dry-erase ones, which prevents us from making ultra-temporary marks on the mat (such as a dropped item that will be picked up shortly). This is a minor gripe.
Since introducing this mat into the game, combat goes much smoother, although we went from all verbal descriptions to this mat and counters. When I asked the other players, they couldn't imagine going back, and really enjoy the mat. It sees weekly use, and has shown no signs of wear. I feel that I am getting a good return on my investment.
In short, I highly recommend it.
Last edited by Mark; Sunday, 31st August, 2008 at 06:42 AM.
- EN World
- has no influence
- on advertisings
- that are displayed by
- Google Adsense
By pxacrake in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming DiscussionReplies: 15Last Post: Thursday, 21st January, 2010, 04:52 AM
By Balgus in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming DiscussionReplies: 27Last Post: Friday, 15th November, 2002, 11:19 PM
By DM with a vengence in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming DiscussionReplies: 5Last Post: Sunday, 13th October, 2002, 04:14 AM
By Gothmog in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming DiscussionReplies: 5Last Post: Tuesday, 17th September, 2002, 08:34 AM