Deva or Aasimar?

Deva or Aasimar?

• Deva

Votes: 189 67.0%
  • Aasimar

Votes: 93 33.0%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
"Aasimar" makes me think of "Lord of the Flies," which is an awesome novel. "Deva" makes me think of Mariah Carey or Celine Dion, who annoy me to no end. So I'm going to have to go with Aasimar.

The whole issue is just change for the sake of change, as far as my campaign goes...we won't use them no matter what they are called...so take my vote with a grain of salt.

Green Knight

First Post
"Deva" makes me think of Mariah Carey or Celine Dion, who annoy me to no end.

Heh, and someone on another board thought I was crazy for thinking that anybody else would start thinking of divas because of the name. But then I come here and I see several posters making those self-same comments. And yep, first time I saw the name the first thing that sprang to mind was Diana Ross and Aretha Franklin.

Gets even worse if you play a Deva who's a member of a Divine class. Just begging for someone to start singing "Say a Little Prayer for You" whenever you use a power. Maybe I have an overactive imagination, but I suspect we might see scenes similar to this repeat themselves at game tables all over.

DM: So what're you playing?

PLAYER 1: I'm playing a Deva Paladin.

PLAYER 2: Wait, you're playing a Diva?

PLAYER 1: No, Deva. Dey-va.

PLAYER 3: Watch out, Diana Ross just joined the party.

PLAYER 1: Deva, not diva.

PLAYER 2: What's the matter? Not getting enough R-E-S-P-E-C-T?

PLAYER 3: And a Paladin, too! Is your character the son of a preacher, man?

PLAYER 2: I'm a Deva, and honey, I'm DI-VINE!

PLAYER 1: I hate my life...

:angel:

Jack Colby

First Post
I actually don't like either name, although in this day and age, deva is way too close to diva, as people have already said. Not that 4E is full of monsters with great names! ;)

Dausuul

Legend
I just don't see it. Instead of making up a word (I'm looking at you too, tiefling) or co-opting a name that implies something else why not try make something simple and descriptive? Reincarnation is a big theme, right? How about Everborn or Lightchild.

Yick. That's what WotC does most of the time, mashing nouns together, and I usually can't stand the results. I'm glad they went with "deva" instead. With a little work, they ought to be able to justify the associations - perhaps FR devas actually are a higher order of being, but bound to mortal life for some reason.

Though I'd be cool with nephilim as well.

Last edited:

Celestial was the name they originally planned for the race. I'm not sure why they changed.

I kind of like that they've cannabilised each of the celestials now - angels are no longer Lawful Good, archons are elemental-armor-mercenaries, eladrin are fey, and devas are aasimar.
They haven't cannibalized Guardinals just yet. And this is even after I came up with an idea that they should be tribes of nature spirits in the natural world, who look almost human.

Though with Aasimar being Devas, I wonder if it's appropriate to call a female Aasimar a Devi?

JeffB

Legend
How about the "I use/like neither creature" option? :)

FWIW, I think Aasimar is the better name. Deva is silly-especially because it so commonly used as slang here in the US (as noted by many posters- Diva)

The Little Raven

First Post
Deva is silly-especially because it so commonly used as slang here in the US (as noted by many posters- Diva)

Deva (pronounced DAY-VA) is not slang in the US.

Saying it's silly just because you don't pronounce it correctly, and thus associate it with an entirely different word with an entirely different root, is silly.

JeffB

Legend
Deva (pronounced DAY-VA) is not slang in the US.

Saying it's silly just because you don't pronounce it correctly, and thus associate it with an entirely different word with an entirely different root, is silly.

I in fact DO pronounce it correctly. Unfortunately most others do not. I've yet to hear a D&D player say it correctly let alone a non-D&D player.

Please get off the high horse (again) mourn.

Remove ads