Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

Dawn Raven

First Post
The derision in Vashik's voice draws a grim look from Les. She sits forward at the table, her eyes wandering between speakers. Her elbows are bent at a slight degree and her hands clasped together; the fingers steepled to form a small roof between her palms. The clashing views piqued her interest and a whole image of each at the table began to coalesce in Les's mind. Of course, these brief perceptions into each was but a casual delve into the reality of what each adventurer was. The proposal for stories by Raiyek almost pulls Les's story-telling propensity out but she holds her voice for the moment. She is far more interested in any information those at the table are willing to divulge. Perhaps they will prove useful allies in the future, maybe even friends, but at the moment they are very possibly competitors for scant clients.

covaithe

Explorer
The bartender brings Kruk and his friends another round of drinks. After he sets down the tray, he hesitates a moment, then speaks. "You know, if you folks are lookin' for work, you might look over at the temple of Lauto. They sometimes have work for folks who don't mind a bit of rough-and-tumble." He shrugs apologetically. "I guess I shoulda said something sooner, but I forgot some of you folks were new in town."

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
What is glorious about defeat? What is noble in allowing the enemy to rape your families because you are unwilling to do what is necessary? In my kingdom we are at constant war with the shadow, always under assault, directly and indirectly. In a war, honor, glory, nobility, these are qualities defined by the winners. In the Jade empire we fight to win, to survive.

The passion is obvious in Vashik's voice, and in his white knuckled grip on the ale flagon. He seems like he is about to continue but then subsides and begins to slowly sip his ale once more.
"I must ask, who said anything about defeat? We're simply discussing preference of combat techniques, not how much we love to lose. You say that in your homeland you fight to survive; is it not honourable to fight for your home, for your survival? Certainly it is more honourable than laying down to die! If the situation in your homeland is as dire as you make it sound, fighting from the shadows to ensure that you survive to fight and protect your home again the next day is just as honourable, and far less stupid, than marching out into broad daylight to get ambushed." Raiyek takes another sip of his wine as he tries to hide his enjoyment of their little debate, thinking he shouldn't push Vashik too far. He certainly doesn't sound like the type to enjoy a friendly debate, especially over matters like this. Perhaps I should save it for later...

Unable to help himself, the elf adds a last thought.
"Also, I don't think any of us here are looking for a war to fight in. At least I hope not, or I'm in the wrong tavern. No, the battles we are more likely to face will be small scuffles compared to war." There. Now no more, no need to anger the man.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
The bartender brings Kruk and his friends another round of drinks. After he sets down the tray, he hesitates a moment, then speaks. "You know, if you folks are lookin' for work, you might look over at the temple of Lauto. They sometimes have work for folks who don't mind a bit of rough-and-tumble." He shrugs apologetically. "I guess I shoulda said something sooner, but I forgot some of you folks were new in town."
Raiyek frowns for a moment at the mention of "rough-and-tumble" work. However, he seems to get over his qualms as he finishes his wine and stands, gathering his equipment. "Sorry to cut our debate short, Vashik, but I think I'll go see if there's anything interesting at this temple. Anyone care to join me?" The paladin tosses a few coins to the barkeep as he strides gracefully to the door. Slinging his shield across his back, he waits a moment for anyone else who looks like they're heading to the temple as well.

Dawn Raven

First Post
Raiyek frowns for a moment at the mention of "rough-and-tumble" work. However, he seems to get over his qualms as he finishes his wine and stands, gathering his equipment. "Sorry to cut our debate short, Vashik, but I think I'll go see if there's anything interesting at this temple. Anyone care to join me?" The paladin tosses a few coins to the barkeep as he strides gracefully to the door. Slinging his shield across his back, he waits a moment for anyone else who looks like they're heading to the temple as well.

Although until now the Gith had been relatively lethargic and sinuous with her movements, she leaps to her feet at the barkeep's statement. When Raiyek too stands a huge grin splits her face. "Oh, yea! I knew sticking around here would yield something. Come on, Raiyek! Let's see if those priests are hiring."

A quick movement of her leg and a second later, Les is standing to the left of Raiyek with her satchel over her shoulder and a grim look to the rest of the table. "Any of you interested as well? Come along now, 'tis time to find some work!" The excitement of the moment has pushed Les's alacrity to the forefront and her eloquence far back. Anyone familiar with sailors would immediately pick up the slang and tilt of the voice that permeated her excited words.

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk takes a long drink from his ale, slams the mug onto the table, and gets up from his chair. "I'm in!," he states as he gathers his belonging and then pauses to inspect the sharpness of his axe.

Brutoni

First Post
Where is the honour in killing your foes at a distance? Where is the glory hiding in the shadows like a coward?

Merenwen turns to the sound of this, had no one any manners in this place? She had been talking merely about how she found the use of metal armour restrictive, while aknowledging leather was provision enough for most ranged engagements. Her tone went icy, colder that the depths of a forest in winter, indeed her eyes held the same chill that a dead tree might, or the harsh glare of the hunting wolf.

"I show my chosen prey more respect than you would imagine, do not treat me like some uncoth coward girl... You yourself have shown more anti social and disrespectful behaviour than any life my arrows may have claimed in defence. Live in the wild and you will understand honour and respect..." Merenwen snarled with open hostility, the wolf replying to a creature encroaching on her territory. "It is ironic that a ranger like myself managed to simply discuss the different techniques of combat and that you... a cultured human being instead insulted another straight away... bah, travel the world for a few more years.... little girl!" Merenwen looked at the other members going to the temple... No she had no reason to join them, she would not be part of a group that little appreciated the value of ranged support, or of the subtle arts.

"I'll pass!" Violet eyes flashed with emotion, she didn't understand these people at all.

SeaPainter

First Post

Thank you for the information, Good Sir...

...and with that Cross rises giving a slight bow to the bartender and another to his tablemates, before taking up his staff and heading for the door to leave.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases