Advanced Player's Guide questions

Spatula

Explorer
Most of the mistakes I found are noticed here, especialy the Martial Art minnor attack, but they have a bunch of stances that minnor sustain...and the Damage is like hunters quarry when I would expect...since it can miss it would be like sneak att (2d6...3d6...5d6).
I don't see how quick-strike is a mistake. It's a different way of looking at the bonus striker damage, which is an all or nothing affair with the ranger, rogue, & warlock. The martial artist instead makes it as a seperate attack roll, which increases the chance of dealing some damage to the target.

Is there really that much errata? Is there a compiled list somewhere?

Currently we have less than 2 pages, with roughly one page being composed of moving paragon path abilities from 17th to 16th level and certain powers listed as immediate reactions turning into free actions. The errata sheet will probably be available by this weekend.

joe b.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I understand everyone has different purchasing inputs and that not everyone will be satisfied with our solution which I believe to be fairly industry standard.
I certainly don't begrudge your choice. I might be spoiled here by SJ Games fantastic behavior with their PDF.

Also, let me tell you that I have ordered in the past from your online store and the customer service and the quality of the items were truly top notch... :)

Beholden

First Post
Just to add to my list of questions/possible errata:

1) Is Soothe the Savage Beast really supposed to be Int based? I assume this is a copy and paster error from Sleep. The description really makes it seem to be Charisma based (not to mention it would be the only Int power in the Troubadour list).

2) Deal With Him! does not specify when/how the mark expires. I would assume end of your next round, but it should be specified.

I might have more later, but those are two I just ran into looking at the first few level of Troubadour.

I've focused on the Troubadour because it's my favorite class from the book. I've never liked bards before, but this version is very cool and has me interested in character concepts I've never considered before. I also really like the option to use a Battle Standard as an implement vs musical instruments only.

Thanks again Ari for a great book!

1) Is Soothe the Savage Beast really supposed to be Int based? I assume this is a copy and paster error from Sleep. The description really makes it seem to be Charisma based (not to mention it would be the only Int power in the Troubadour list).

I can see how you might think that, but no, in this case, not a mistake. I feel that soothe the savage beast is a hair better than sleep. It's true that it's worse on a miss, and that damage awakens the target (something not true of the sleep spell). But, the effect takes place instantly, rather than progressing through a failed save or two. I decided that part of balancing that would be basing it on one of the troubadour's other ability scores. Int is one of their primaries, but not their most important, so it seemed the way to go.

I might have been wrong about how potent it is and how it needed balancing--as I said above, I'll cop to mistakes when I make them--but it was a deliberate decision.

2) Deal With Him! does not specify when/how the mark expires. I would assume end of your next round, but it should be specified.

This, however, is indeed an error. I intend to make it work like the paladin's divine challenge; to maintain the mark, the "marking ally" must either attack the foe, or end the round adjacent to the foe.

I've focused on the Troubadour because it's my favorite class from the book. I've never liked bards before, but this version is very cool and has me interested in character concepts I've never considered before. I also really like the option to use a Battle Standard as an implement vs musical instruments only.

Thanks again Ari for a great book!

And thank you for your thoughts. :) I was really happy with how the troubadour came out, myself; I hope to hear how people enjoy using it.

PeelSeel2

Explorer
I went ahead and bought despite the errata. I can download the fixed PDF later. Then I can compare your barbarian to the Unofficial WOTC barbarian.

This is the first edition of D&D since basic and AD&D that I have felt that I want to buy supplements for. Exciting.

Currently we have less than 2 pages, with roughly one page being composed of moving paragon path abilities from 17th to 16th level and certain powers listed as immediate reactions turning into free actions. The errata sheet will probably be available by this weekend.

joe b.
Sweet, that'll be good. Not much major errata for the first 3PP book, IMO. From what I've seen just a few niggles which common sense sorts and a couple of slightly larger changes. Nothing as earth crushingly rubbish as, oh I dunno, maybe getting the DCs for checks all out by around 10!:p

I don't see how quick-strike is a mistake. It's a different way of looking at the bonus striker damage, which is an all or nothing affair with the ranger, rogue, & warlock. The martial artist instead makes it as a seperate attack roll, which increases the chance of dealing some damage to the target.

I just feel that it is a little weak...fince it requres a seprate att roll, maybe it should be a bit more damage... like 2d6...3d6...5d6 for rogue.

maybe if it followed the unarmed strike damage...1d6 2d8 3d10 with the feat upping it to 1d8 2d10 3d12???

I just feel that it is a little weak...fince it requres a seprate att roll, maybe it should be a bit more damage... like 2d6...3d6...5d6 for rogue.

It does indeed require a separate roll, and that's a downside.

On the other hand...

You can attack a separate foe from the main attack, which makes it a great minion killer, or lets you attack someone else if your main attack drops a foe. You can use it as a minor action even if you don't take a main attack (for whatever reason), allowing you (for instance) to double move and still make a small attack. You can use it to try to deal a little damage even if your main attack misses. The rogue/ranger/warlock extra damage cannot do any of these.

So yes, it's got the downside of requiring two rolls, but it's a lot more versatile. I think that's a pretty fair trade. :)

Spatula

Explorer
I just feel that it is a little weak...fince it requres a seprate att roll, maybe it should be a bit more damage...
But requiring a seperate attack roll doesn't make it weaker. Imagine you have an attack that does 4d6 damage with a single attack roll, but if you want you can split it up into two attacks that do 2d6 each, instead. Which way does more damage?

Now, requiring a minor action each round may make it a little weaker, but I don't think that's a huge deal.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases