Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Felon

First Post
I was surprised to see cold-blooded killings in what is being regarded as a kid's show. I thought the droids' reactions to the rather horrible deaths of helpless people floating in a space pod was interesting. Not vindictive or cruel, just a laxidaiscal "there they go". Not ulike the casual attitude that organic beings have towards the demise of droids.

While we're on that tangent, is the droid army not basically a rebellion against oppression? How is the Republic the good guy in that scenario?

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
So the first couple episodes aren't re-showing the movie in "episode" format? (Like Goodsport, I recorded the Friday episode(s?) because I haven't seen the movie, and it was dumped out of the theatres pretty fast.)

Guess I'll pass. What a dumb way to release a new TV series.

Netflix it.

You're not missing much, but it wasn't a bad movie. Not great, but not bad.

Brad

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
I was surprised to see cold-blooded killings in what is being regarded as a kid's show. I thought the droids' reactions to the rather horrible deaths of helpless people floating in a space pod was interesting. Not vindictive or cruel, just a laxidaiscal "there they go". Not ulike the casual attitude that organic beings have towards the demise of droids.

While we're on that tangent, is the droid army not basically a rebellion against oppression? How is the Republic the good guy in that scenario?

The droids are tools. Remember, they are not rebelling, they're following orders from the Trade Federation and other parts of the Confed command hierarchy.

Without our knowledge that the Clone Wars were orchestrated by Palpatine to destroy the Jedi and bring himself into power (remember, he's chief executive of the Republic, *and* Darth Sidious is the ultimate power behind the Confeds), it still doesn't appear that the Confederation is any less oppressive than the Republic. For starters, the Trade Federation, one of the founding members of the Confederation, has a habit of knocking over independent systems like they're banana republics. The Geonosian lower classes are, effectively, slaves. The Banking Clans have armies meant to forcibly repossess property, and so on.

Meanwhile, the Republic, at the start of the prequels, doesn't have a military. Even as of Ep2, they haven't started any sort of army, instead relying (still) on the Jedi Order and then grasping at straws for the Clone Army. While the Republic does wind up becoming the incredibly oppressive Empire, without the Confederation of Independent Systems' rebellion, an Empire would almost certainly not have come into being.

Brad

Darth Shoju

First Post
I'm not sure which episode it was, but I saw the one where Yoda is going to negotiate with the Troidarian (sp?) king. I thought it was pretty good overall, though I was a little surprised how much personality they gave the droid soldiers. I thought the whole idea of having faceless stormtroopers and droids as adversaries was to make it less shocking to see them being killed. This seems particularly important for something targeted at children. Isn't that benefit lost by humanizing the droids? I dunno, I just found it to be an odd choice, especially when Yoda decapitated one of the little buggers while he was talking. ;)

On the other hand, I liked the personalities they gave to the Clone Troopers. That was a nice touch. And Ventress is a pretty cool villain.

Krug

Newshound
Nice episode 3, though the start was kinda slow and
how they defeated the weapon was kinda easy.
Looking forward to episode 4.

Remove ads