Encounter Power Recharge

crashy

Explorer
Hi,

I've been lurking on this board and the WOTC board for a little while. Sorry if this has been posted before, but I can't search the forums.

One complaint I've read is that combat gets boring if it goes on too long. What about allowing the players to recharge each spent encounter power on a roll of 20 at the beginning of each round? At the start of your turn, you roll a d20 for each expended encounter power. On a 20, the encounter power is recharged and you can use it again that turn.

It would add some more randomness to combats and may make extended combats more interesting. The wizard recharges Fire Shroud just in the nick of time, etc.

I don't think this would reduce the Demigod, because at that level you go from ~20% of recharging a random encounter power to 100% recharge of the power of your choice.

What do you think?

-Crashy

knightofround

First Post
Yeah I've thought of implementing such a mechanic myself for lower level campaigns. But the problem is that an extra die roll every round slows down combat in real time even if it makes game time more interesting.

Some similar ideas that I've thought of, but haven't tried yet, are attaching the "regain an encounter or utility power" to the use of second wind. Another idea would be that on a critical 20 allow the players to recover a utility/encounter ability. Yet another idea is that whenever an enemy leader, elite, or solo monster rolls a 1, everyone in the party recovers an encounter/utility power.

The basic idea being attaching the "recover a power" mechanic to dice rolls that need to be made anyway.

crashy

Explorer
Hi Knights,

Like I said, I haven't really played a game yet so I don't have a feel for how the combat flows. I'm just going on what I've read.

It seemed like it wouldn't be that bad to roll at most four d20s at the beginning of your turn. If you had a lasting effect you'd have to make a saving throw anyway at that time. What if each player rolls when it's just before their turn? Maybe when the player before them is doing their turn. Or everybody rolls at the beginning of the combat round. If everyone has more than one d20 then they'll have to make at most 2 extra rolls.

Do you play a game regularly?

-Crashy

crashy

Explorer
Or how about one person rolls a d20. If it's a 20 then each player gets one encounter power back of their choice. It's quicker but less of a chance of gaining an encounter power back.

-Crashy

Crashy75

First Post
Or how about one person rolls a d20. If it's a 20 then each player gets one encounter power back of their choice. It's quicker but less of a chance of gaining an encounter power back.

-Crashy

Hey Crashy. Personally, I think you should try to play as is and see how you like it. This may not be an issue for you.

Nice name btw!

Remove ads