SILENT HILL: HOMECOMING (Got it!!!!)-->very minor spoilers

Simon Atavax

First Post
Amazing opening. First person POV on a stretcher being rolled through a hellish hospital, lots of Jacob's Ladder-type horror scenes. Then a nightmare sequence (literally a nightmare--you wake up at the end) level in a (what else?) hospital. Then given a ride back home by none other than Travis Grady of SILENT HILL: ORIGINS. He looks like hell here, which is a nice touch. Grady drops you off at Sheperd's Glen, your home town ("you" are army veteran Alex Shepherd--I think that's his name, anyway :blush:). Your home town is a lot like Silent Hill--foggy, deserted, strange. You have a creepy conversation with your lunatic mother, then kill a monster in your basement.

And that's where I'm at. Amazing game, from the tiny bit I've played thus far.

Anyone else have this?

Darkwolf71

First Post
Been playing it for a couple of weeks. Great game, I like the new combat system.

It's not as 'scarey' as Origins, but it's very good. I'm actually re-playing the first part of it now, because I got to a point where I was out of FAKs and Health Drinks. Couldn't make any forward progress. And if you think Moms a bit whack, wait till you learn more about dear old dad.

TwistedBishop

First Post
I finished it on Sunday. Initially the story wasn't grabbing me, however it gets exponentially better as it passes the halfway mark. Between the four Silent Hill games I've played all the way through, I'd put its story behind SH2 but ahead of SH1 and Origins.

The combat is a mixed bag. Definitely an improvement on the older controls, but also with some timing quirks that kept it from feeling as smooth as I'd like. The main thing I'm happy with is the puzzles. The developers managed to integrate them into the actual story narrative quite nicely. Instead of collecting random music boxes that fit into a puzzle and open a doorway, you collect items that represent your past and assemble them to access your future. That's slick.

Main complaint, for me, would be the save points. Games really need to do away with those entirely. Don't force me to leave the system on pause all night because I couldn't find a new save point in the last 30 minutes.

Simon Atavax

First Post
Main complaint, for me, would be the save points. Games really need to do away with those entirely. Don't force me to leave the system on pause all night because I couldn't find a new save point in the last 30 minutes.

Actually, I have a question about that. I can't seem to find any save points in Shepherd's Glen (after leaving mom's house). How does one save at that point?

Darkwolf71

First Post
Actually, I have a question about that. I can't seem to find any save points in Shepherd's Glen (after leaving mom's house). How does one save at that point?

In the Town Hall, there are two back rooms. The Judge is in one, you can have a short conversation with her. The other room (the one on the left) has a save point.

Mercule

Adventurer
I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games, but they sound interesting. Are they really that good? Are they all worth playing, or should I skip one or two that haven't aged well/tanked?

I'm not much of a gamer and only have a GameCube, PS2, and PC. Will they all play on one of those platforms?

TwistedBishop

First Post
All the Silent Hill games, except Homecoming, will run on the PS2.

I'd personally start with SH2. Its had the greatest resonance with players and definitely shaped the franchise. The basic premise of the town is laid down in SH1 and Origins, but I think the games are best when they explore tangental stories like SH2 and Homecoming.

Overall it's an exceptional series. Provided you like stories full of very personal horror and metaphor.

frankthedm

First Post
I beat the first game and played some of the second, but it has been a while.

In homecoming, can you whack things with the melee weapons as you run by them? :p

Are you forced to "take melee stance" before you can swing? :mad: I have come to really dislike that sort of combat style.

Simon Atavax

First Post
I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games, but they sound interesting. Are they really that good? Are they all worth playing, or should I skip one or two that haven't aged well/tanked?

I'm not much of a gamer and only have a GameCube, PS2, and PC. Will they all play on one of those platforms?

SILENT HILL 2 is the way to go, I'd say. You can get it on PS2, though nowadays it might be hard to find and eBay might be the best route. It's definitely worth it. SILENT HILL 3, also on PS2, isn't as good (IMHO) but is probably worth playing if you enjoy SH2. There's also a SILENT HILL 4: THE ROOM available on PS2 and XBox, but most people (including me) will tell you to avoid it.

There's also SILENT HILL: ORIGINS available now for PS2 (though it's a port of a PSP game) and it's pretty good, but I'd say it's too similar to SH2 to make it worth playing both (also, SH2 is vastly superior).

Finally, the original SILENT HILL is available only on PSone. If you fall in love with the Silent Hill games, it may be worth digging up, but I wouldn't bother.

Hope this helps!

Darkwolf71

First Post
I beat the first game and played some of the second, but it has been a while.

In homecoming, can you whack things with the melee weapons as you run by them? :p

Are you forced to "take melee stance" before you can swing? :mad: I have come to really dislike that sort of combat style.

Agreed, haveing to 'stance' is annoying. And, yes you do have to do so in Homecoming. It is fairly fluid, but there is that bit of lag between when you want to 'HIT THAT F*&^%R' and when you can actually swing.
Still an awesome game. IMO

Remove ads