[Mage: the Awakening] Legacy of the Stone Assembly - Page 7





  1. #61
    Sounds interesting, but I think I've been nudged away from that aspect anyway. Otherwise, I'd look into it more. Even still, I don't think its quite what I was looking for. The awakening isn't as important as the means of doing it: pouring magic into sleepers and hope it does something. While forcing them to awaken using life/death situations sounds interesting, its not what I was going for (although now that I think about it, it fits much better with the altered character). By the way, is that actually in Mage? I had thought I'd looked at the legacies...

    In any case, I wouldn't have him start as one, especially because of the order requirement. He has mind and time, so if it comes up in game, then he can persue it then.

    Also, is your character, or a description thereof, posted on the thread anywhere? I may have just missed it when reading through, but I can't recall him/her.

 

  • #62
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Shayuri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minnapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,535
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    ° Ignore Shayuri
    Here's my sheet so far. Not completely complete, but getting there. Comments welcome.

    Juno Reyes

    Real Name: Juno Reyes
    Shadow Name:
    Concept:

    Age: 18
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 130 lbs.
    Hair: Black
    Eyes: Green

    Place of Birth: Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Relatives: Hector Reyes (Father), Hugo Reyes (Uncle)
    Mentor: "Papa Chango" (AKA Hugo Reyes)
    Marital Status: Single

    Occupation: Store Clerk
    Current Residence: Cambridge, Massachusetts

    Virtue: Fortitude
    Vice: Pride

    Ruling: Life, Forces
    Inferior: Fate
    Order: Adamantine Arrow

    Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 3, Resolve 2
    Physical Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 3, Stamina 3
    Social Attributes: Presence 2, Manipulation 2, Composure 3

    Mental Skills: Academics 1, Occult 3
    Physical Skills: Athletics 3, Brawl 3, Drive 1, Firearms 1, Stealth 2, Weaponry 1
    Social Skills: Expression 2, Intimidate 2, Socialize 2, Streetwise 1

    Health: 8
    Willpower: 5
    Wisdom: 7

    Size: 5
    Speed: 10
    Initiative: 6
    Defense: 3
    Armor:

    Gnosis: 2
    Mana: 7 (max: 11, 2/turn)
    Nimbus: Jaguar Sun

    Arcana:
    Death 1
    Forces 1
    Life 2
    Spirit 2

    Rote Specialties: Athletics, Intimidation, Medicine
    Rotes:
    Dedicated Magical Tool: Mayan Ritual Dagger

    Mage Merits: Gnosis +1 ***
    Social Merits: Striking Looks **, Mentor **


    Last edited by Shayuri; Sunday, 9th November, 2008 at 07:13 PM.

  • #63
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Hella_Tellah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    733
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    1

    ° Ignore Hella_Tellah
    Quote Originally Posted by magic_gathering2001 View Post
    Sounds interesting, but I think I've been nudged away from that aspect anyway.
    Upon further consideration, I think the idea is workable. It's not a bad idea for a character, by any means; I was just concerned that he might not jibe with the rest of the group. But since Shayuri's character was Awakened through purposeful action, and Annalist's character is a member of the Silver Ladder (who ostensibly favor Awakening all of mankind), I don't think it'll be much of an issue. Besides, our first chapter will be about bringing you all together in a Cabal, so there will be reasons besides philosophical sympathy for you all to work together.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shayuri
    Here's my sheet so far. Not completely complete, but getting there. Comments welcome.
    Nice! I really like "Papa Chango" as a Shadow Name for your Uncle Hugo. Is he a member of the Adamantine Arrow, too?

  • #64
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Shayuri's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Minnapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,535
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    I Defended The Walls!

    ° Ignore Shayuri
    Hee! I will have the full story up soon. Also the 6 "levels" of freebie rotes we start with.

    'Papa Chango' is not just his Shadow Name...it's the name he runs his shop under, though not his legal name. One of the weirder things he does is dress up in a Chinese getup and actually has one of those long thin goatee-type mustaches and the whole bit. Then he talks in a fake Chinese accent.

    He's pretty obviously a Hispanic guy pretending to be Chinese though.

    I suspect he's either Adamantine Arrow or Mysterium...I am still brainstorming him. Suggestions are always welcome.

    One of the reasons I'm making Juno so young is to justify her lack of dots in Sanctum and Resources. I do plan on spending early exp on those things, to represent her becoming more independent.

  • #65
    For my own ease of reference, I'm consolidating all the stuff that I've come up with for my PC application.

    Character Sheet



    Real Name: Mitchell Ward
    Shadow Name: Gabriel

    Concept: Neophyte Spiritualist
    Quote: "I'm here to help."

    Virtue: Faith (Conviction)
    Vice: Pride (Vanity)

    Path: Obrimos
    Order: Silver Ladder
    Cabal: The Midnight Vigil

    Mental Attributes: Intelligence 2, Wits 2, Resolve 3
    Physical Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 2, Stamina 3
    Social Attributes: Presence 3, Manipulation 2, Composure 3

    Mental Skills: Academics (Theology) 2, Investigation 2, Occult (Spirits) 2, Politics (Consilium) 1
    Physical Skills: Athletics 2, Brawl 1, Firearms 1
    Social Skills: Empathy 2, Expression 2, Intimidation 2, Persuasion 2, Socialize 1, Subterfuge 2

    Health: 8
    Willpower: 6
    Wisdom: 7

    Size: 5
    Speed: 9
    Initiative: 5
    Defense: 2
    Armor: 2 (Ephemeral Shield, Spirit 2)

    Gnosis: 2
    Mana: 7 (max: 11, 2/turn)
    Pattern: Restoration (1/day), Scouring (1/day)
    Nimbus: "Angelic"

    Ruling Arcana: Forces 1, Prime 2
    Common Arcana: Space 1, Spirit 2
    Inferior Arcanum: Death

    Dedicated Magical Tool: Splinter of the True Cross (Pendant)
    Rote Specialties: Expression, Persuasion, Subterfuge
    Spirit Rotes: 1 dot: Coaxing the Spirits, Exorcist's Eye, Second Sight, Spirit Tongue; 2 dots: Ephemeral Shield

    Oblation: Ritual Prayer

    Mage Merits: High Speech, Unseen Sense (All)
    Social Merits: Status (Consilium) 1, Status (Silver Ladder) 1, Striking Looks 2
    Character Extras

    Shadow Name: Gabriel
    Concept: Neophyte Spiritualist

    I'll be playing Mitchell Ward, a twenty-one year old seminary student working on his Masters degree in Theological Studies at the Harvard Divinity School in Cambridge. He had initially wanted to pursue a career in Law Enforcement, no doubt influenced by the fact that his father is a county sheriff back in their hometown, but plans took an unexpected turn academically when he Awakened a year ago. The days leading up to his Awakening were filled with visions full of religious symbolism - bleeding crucifixes, the reverberating sound of Gregorian chant when there was no one else around, Biblical passages written high in the night sky in fiery script, and more.

    As these alien visions increased, things progressed to a point where Mitchell, while walking back to his apartment, stumbled into the closest public building - a church - and passed out in a pew at which time he truly Awakened. And in a moment of chance? or destiny?, he was found by the man who would become his mentor in all things arcane, Father Albert Evans, or, Melchior the Exorcist, as he was known to Boston's Consilium.

    Now, faced with more questions than answers, Mitchell has enrolled at the school that Father Evans teaches at to begin his training as a Mage.

    (My character is essentially an Obrimos, Silver Ladder Mage working towards joining The Scions of God Legacy.)

    Description:


    Age: 21
    Height: 6'0"
    Weight: 180 lbs.
    Hair: Brown
    Eyes: Blue

    Place of Birth: Carlisle, Massachusetts
    Current Residence: Cambridge, Massachusetts
    Occupation: Seminary Student (Harvard Divinity School)

    Mentor: Melchior the Exorcist (Father Albert Evans, Obrimos/Silver Ladder/The Scions of God)
    Relatives: Michael Ward (Father/Carlisle County Sheriff), Mary Ward (Mother/Concord-Carlisle High School Teacher), Margaret "Maggie/Mags" Ward (Younger Sister/Junior at Concord-Carlisle High School)
    Marital Status: Linda "Linnie/Linz/Lin" Wentworth (Girlfriend)

    Background: Mitchell had had his life all mapped out. He was going to go into Law Enforcement just like his father, but on a grander scale. After securing his undergraduate degree in psychology within the span of two years, he had planned on attending the FBI Academy at Quantico with the hopes of specializing in criminal profiling. But his unexpected Awakening a little over a year ago changed all of that.

    It had first started with sporadic visions full of religious symbolism, such as fiery scripture burning in the night sky. But then the hallucinations began to grow in frequency and intensity until they became too overwhelming. Suffering from a headache so great that he needed to sit down, Mitchell stumbled into the first public building that he could find which happened to be a Church. He passed out in a pew and was later found by a kindly old priest. You are Awake. Those were the first words spoken to him by Father Albert Evans when he had finally regained consciousness. However, it wasn't until much later that he came to realize their dramatic significance.

    And now in the present day, with Melchior's continued help and guidance, he has begun to come to terms with his life as a Mage.

    Motivation: Since Awakening, Mitchell has become acutely aware of just how dangerous the world can be. The Darkness is real. And he seeks to increase his arcane knowledge so that he'll be equipped as best he can to defend against it.

    Academic Goals: Complete Master of Theological Studies Degree
    Awakened Goals: Continue Melchior's Work Protecting Sleepers from Malevolent Spirits/Join The Scions of God Legacy/Become a Sentinel
    Personal Goals: Keep Family, Girlfriend, and Friends Safe
    Character Complications

    Mage-related Complications

    Re: First Two Years at Harvard College

    Although Mitchell did well in high school, he knows deep down that he's not exactly Harvard-level material. So it's always bugged him in the back of his mind: how he got accepted and how his parents can afford the tuition. However, he's never really broached the subject with them. Yet.

    (As far as getting into Harvard Divinity, he assumes that that was Father Evans' doing. And in this case, he's correct.)

    The Twist: Michael, Mitchell's father, actually knows the Dean of Admissions, Professor Dale Hamilton, and incidentally also knows Father Albert Evans. It was no coincidence that Father Evans was the one who found Mitchell when he Awakened. However, Mitchell doesn't realize that his father personally knows any of these people.

    So how do they all know each other then?

    Both Michael and Professor Hamilton are members of the Knights Templar (Magical Traditions, pp. 81-95). And they both believe Father Evans to be a member too, but in reality he's more like their Silver Ladder-appointed chaperone keeping an eye on the group for Awakenings.

    Anyway, Mitchell has no inkling of his father's involvement with the Knights Templar. He simply believes that he sometimes goes to Mason lodge meetings, as a sort of social club function. And he figures that since his father's the sheriff, he's just trying to keep a public profile within the community and is using the meetings for exposure.

    However, since Mitchell's Awakening, his father has been wanting to "induct" him into the Order but Father Evans has actually been keeping the Knights Templar at bay, for now. At least until he can train Mitchell and establish his foundation of Awakened knowledge before it gets muddled by the doctrines of a Sleeper tradition.

    (Mitchell has also always wondered why his father never argued with his decision to drop Quantico in favor of Harvard Divinity. He still believes that he has disappointed him on some level in regards to that, when in actuality his father couldn't be happier with the change of situation.)

    Mundane Complications

    And just for fun...



    Linda "Linnie" Wentworth is Harvard-level material. She's smart, comes from a wealthy New York City (Manhattan) family, and her father is a Harvard Business School alumnus. He's also co-CEO of Wentworth, Prescott, and Montgomery Investment Counsel. And he dislikes Mitchell because he doesn't feel that the boy is good enough for his daughter. "Isn't he studying to become a priest for chrissakes? Why not marry an investment banker?" is something he's always fond of saying to Linda.

    And in fact, he keeps trying to set Linda up with his business partner's twenty-five year old son, Kyle Prescott, who works for the company and is an elitist jackass. In other words, Mister Wentworth's ideal son-in-law.

    So while Mitchell really isn't in any danger of ever losing Linda to Kyle, it certainly doesn't make visiting her parents any less stressful.
    Character Fiction

    Higher Calling

    The light was on.

    It was nearly three in the morning and Mitchell had hoped that he'd be able to sneak into bed unnoticed. But Linda, his girlfriend, never left the light on in their bedroom unless she was still awake. This is not going to be good, he grimaced. Steeling his resolve, he eased open the door and walked in.

    There she was, sitting up in bed, the blankets pulled up to her waist, and a wad of crumpled tissues in her clenched fists. She looked up as he entered, her red-rimmed eyes staring at him accusingly. "Where have you been?" she rasped. Her voice was hoarse from all the crying she had done.

    Mitchell instinctively raised his hands up in a placating gesture of innocence, "I was just hanging out with the guys. You know, our usual poker night get-together. I'm so sorry that I lost track of time. I meant to be home sooner than this." He really hated lying to her.

    "You're lying," she said, knowing him all too well. "Bobby stopped by earlier looking for you. He said that you didn't show up for poker night. What's going on, Mitch? Are you seeing someone else?!"

    "No! Of course not," he assured her. But what could he say to explain where he had really been? Certainly not the truth. Linnie, I was with my Theology Professor all evening. You know, Father Evans. Not only is he my teacher but he's also an honest-to-God Exorcist. Like in the movies but with better lighting. And at his request, which I couldn't say no to, I had to assist him with performing an actual exorcism ritual tonight. Because evil spirits are real and they really do possess people.

    Yeah, he definitely couldn't tell her the truth. At least not that truth.

    "Then where were you?" Linda persisted. She was still angry but her face had softened just a bit.

    "I can't tell you," he answered honestly. "Not because I don't want to but because I'm trying to protect you. The less you know the safer you are. I know you only have my word for it, but I promise you that that is the truth." Trying to reconcile his mundane life with his Awakened one was quickly becoming a monumental task. One that Mitchell wasn't sure he was prepared to handle.

    But sometimes, loved ones were capable of surprising you. "I believe you," she whispered. "But I want to protect you too. I don't want anything bad to ever happen to you. Promise me that you're not involved with anything illegal, like drugs, or something worse."

    "No, Linnie. It's nothing like that at all. I swear. It's like," he fumbled for the right words, "...a higher calling. I'm just out there trying to help those people who aren't able to help themselves." He knew that it was a woefully inadequate explanation, but his girlfriend seemed to grudgingly accept it, for now.
    Important NPCs



    Real Name: Albert Evans
    Nickname: Father Evans, Professor Evans
    Shadow Name: Melchior

    Concept: Wise Mentor (and Catholic Priest/Theology Professor/Spirit Exorcist)
    Quote: "Knowledge talks, wisdom listens."

    Path: Obrimos
    Order: The Silver Ladder
    Legacy: The Scions of God

    ---



    Real Name: Linda Wentworth
    Nickname: Linnie, Linz, Lin

    Concept: Concerned Girlfriend
    Quote: "What's going on?"

    ---



    Real Name: Margaret Ward
    Nickname: Maggie, Mags

    Concept: Teenage Sister
    Quote: "Ohmigod, can you pleeease take me shopping?!"

    ---



    Real Name: Michael Ward
    Nickname: Dad, Sheriff Ward

    Concept: County Sheriff (and Knight Templar)
    Quote: "That's just great."

    ---



    Real Name: Mary Ward
    Nickname: Mom, Misses Ward (by her students)

    Concept: High School Teacher
    Quote: "Yes, this is going to be on the test tomorrow."
    Last edited by Annalist; Tuesday, 11th November, 2008 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Minor fixes.

  • #66
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Solarious's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Far Edge of Sanity
    Posts
    702
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    ° Ignore Solarious
    Just an update on my character, so I don't loose it, and also so other people won't miss it as easily.


    I've started on an image of my character... a medical forensics examiner (mutable point) who is inducted into the Guardians of the Veil, but doesn't fit in as well as hoped. Mentored by a member of the Faceless, whom he never finds out what his name nor his actual appearance, face, or personality is (although he has suspicions). Understands the purpose and the necessity of the Veil and other distasteful aspects of the Guardians, but feels they try too hard to cover up too much purely for the reason of covering it up. Disliked for being a Guardian in the first place (and can't be trusted in another Order 'cause he could be a mole), and shunned by fellow Guardians because of his interest/contacts in the Eleventh Question, he's a hot potato who ended up in Boston's newest cabal because no one else really wants him and the new cabal either can't afford to or straight out can't say no.
    -------------------------
    To give my nameless character a little more detail at his current stage of life, he was, as said above, mentored by one of the Faceless, a faction of the Guardians of the Veil infamous for being able to become literally anyone, so much so, that they themselves become nobody - people with a neutral state of a hodgepodge of assumed personalities clobbered together into a pseudo-functioning state until he/she has a reason to stay in character. Now imagine that there is an entire cabal of these people, who regularly show up in your life as friends and family. In addition, these people have a tendency to violate minds, either by lifting memories from those they are impersonating, or heading straight to the source if they are good enough to get away with it (Read the Depths - Breach the Vault of Memory - and the first thing you forget is the fact you are being attacked mentally). And even if he manages to figure out if someone isn't who they say/seem to be (by throwing up a higher potency Mage Sight than the veiling in question and/or a good Gnosis + Mind roll while you have a Mental Shield up), there is no way to actually know who is talking to you (because with spells like Imposter, you don't get to see who is behind the mask without taking down the spell first - and even if you do have the Prime to dispel it, these people are Subtle Ones [MtAwk 352], and their Legacy attainments can't be dispelled).

    Needless to say, he has developed a healthy (for a Guardian) sense of paranoia, while his more mundane social skills have atrophied at the same time. Many of his relationships have also suffered, irreparably at times, as he rants and raves at people with false memories, false expectations, and growing sense of isolation as he never quite knows when the next face he sees isn't another Veil. In response, he has grown more composed and reserved, carefully choosing his words and considering their impact before responding. On the other hand, he has drawn up his sense of ethics as one of the grounding principals in his newly awakened life, and the Eleventh Question's dedication to the truth attracts him. By the start of the story, he may or may not have made a Vow of Truthfulness.
    ---------------------
    PS. Tellah, if you want to discuss some of the inspirations and roots of my character, PM me.
    Game balance is a myth that I wholeheartedly subscribe to. ~ Sepulchrave II

  • #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Hella_Tellah View Post
    Upon further consideration, I think the idea is workable.
    Alright, I refixed the story to put it back in. That being said, what do you think of the legacy? I would be happy to use the other, since it fits with the hatchet idea i have going, but I as of now, I lack the book, and can't say for sure if it fits. That said, I'm happy to change or remove the theoretical fourth attainment, because it is rather much. But the other two I really liked, along with the oblation (is that what the ritual for mana is called?). Its fine if you say no, but I want the character to build up to either, so I'd prefer to have an answer before we start.

    Annalist, where do you find those pictures? Do you just image search and pick ones you like?

  • #68
    Quote Originally Posted by magic_gathering2001 View Post
    Annalist, where do you find those pictures? Do you just image search and pick ones you like?
    Yeah, I just use Google Image Search. Depending on the character, I'll try to think of what he or she looks like in my head, then search using an appropriate actor's or actress' name. It's worked like a charm so far, and once I find a pic that I like, I just crop and/or resize it as needed.

    Who's Who
    Mitchell Ward = Chace Crawford
    Father Albert Evans = Rutger Hauer
    Linda Wentworth = Alona Tal
    Michael Ward = Dennis Quaid
    Mary Ward = Sela Ward
    Margaret Ward = Lucy Hale

    And I have pics of Jessica Alba that I'm dying to use. I just have to come up with a NPC that can do her justice.

  • #69
    woot! I got the book today. I'll be pouring over the material and I'll try to refine Sandra and post an updated version of her ASAP.

  • #70
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    Hella_Tellah's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    733
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    1

    ° Ignore Hella_Tellah
    Quote Originally Posted by Annalist View Post


    Real Name: Albert Evans
    Oh man, I really want to make a Banisher who looks like Harrison Ford come chasing after your mentor! You have a real eye for these character portraits--I hope my own NPCs will measure up!

    Quote Originally Posted by magic_gathering2001 View Post
    That being said, what do you think of the legacy? ....I'm happy to change or remove the theoretical fourth attainment, because it is rather much. But the other two I really liked, along with the oblation...
    I think the legacy is balanced and will work for your character concept. The fourth attainment, making a Sleepwalker, is powerful, but I think it will take us quite a long time to get that far, so if it needs changing we'll decide on that later. The oblation is really cool, but to be honest I usually use oblations as a background, downtime activity. I'll try to remember to get you some mileage out of it, though, because it's a novel and fun idea.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueLotus View Post
    woot! I got the book today. I'll be pouring over the material and I'll try to refine Sandra and post an updated version of her ASAP.
    Excellent! Feel free to post any questions you have here or in PMs. If you need a primer on the basic rules found in the core rulebook, there's a PDF of introductory rules for Mage on White Wolf's website: http://download.white-wolf.com/downl...hp?file_id=395

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 258
      Last Post: Tuesday, 28th April, 2009, 09:28 PM
    2. [Non-D&D] Mage: The Awakening -- Yes, but what do you DO?
      By Whizbang Dustyboots in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Friday, 23rd January, 2009, 11:03 PM
    3. Mage: The Awakening PbP - Nemesis
      By Tokiwong in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 323
      Last Post: Friday, 15th June, 2007, 07:16 AM
    4. Mage: The Awakening PbP - Preludes
      By Tokiwong in forum Playing the Game
      Replies: 138
      Last Post: Wednesday, 4th October, 2006, 03:17 PM
    5. Mage:the Awakening is out. Opinions?
      By SSquirrel in forum RPGs & Tabletop Gaming Discussion
      Replies: 180
      Last Post: Thursday, 13th October, 2005, 12:44 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •