Plot building - The Enemy of my Enemy

Phaezen

First Post
Disclaimer

If you are one my players stay out please.

I am in the process of putting ogether a long term campaign plot and thought I would bounce some ideas off the enworld collective of devious dms.

[sblock]

Basic plot overview:

Gra'atz, jealous of Asmodeus' power, is plotting to steal his divine essence and take his place.

He knows that Asmodeus is stronger than him, so he has to weaken him. To do this and as a diversion, he has planted an idea into Orcus' head to try and overthrow Asmodeus (through planting information, leading Orcus' informants to an evil artifact etc)

The main inspiration is from this threat, specifically Plane Sailing's post.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/242697-how-use-grazzt-bbeg.html#post4502903

The idea for using Orcus came from this thread, in particular Fallen Serpah's image of the Scourge Dragon:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...h-edition-metallic-dragons-2.html#post4517713

[/sblock]

I am planning to break the campaign up into 3 main subplots, 1 for each tier, each subplot will contain several smaller subplots.

Breaking it down:

Heroic
[sblock]

Still struggling with some ideas here, but as a background, the players start in a valley, which is the world they know, except for rumers and story's brought by merchants. They will start by investigating some ruins in the valley which are showing some increased activity in monsters, slowly building to the realisation of cult activity in the valley and surrounding areas - both that of Orcus and the hidden church of Asmodeus.

Towards end of the heroic tier they will discover seperate and competeing plots of Asmodeus and Orcus that will lead them from the valley.

[/sblock]

Paragon

[sblock]
Vennturing out into the wide world to stop the plots of Asmodeus and Orcus, with side trips into the planes, the players will discover an ever deepening interconnection between the plot's of Orcus and Asmodeus. By the mid tier, I hope to have them realise that they can't just focus on the one cult as weekening it will give advantage to the other cult.

Strange rumers start spreading, of a mysterious disease slowly destroying far off lands and spreading unstoppably (The ebon plague from Plague, spread by Orcus to grow his power and fuel a ritual). I need something equaly devastating for Asmodeus here.

By level 18 or so the party should be starting to figure out that there is some kind of 3rd force involved.
[/sblock]

Epic

[sblock]
Graz'zt Starts making his move against Asmodeus, secretly providing Orcus assistance in the ritual, and corruupting it towards his own ends. The players have to act against the growing might of Orcus and his mysterious ally. They will discover the source of the spreading plague (The scourge dragon, a dracolich servant of Orcus) and move against it. I disrupting the ritual, they will finally uncover the cult of graz'zt and with the aid of Orcus and Asmodeus put an end tohis grab for power. For now
[/sblock]

Any ideas, suggestions, (constructive) critism and links to help me flesh this out will be welcome.

Phaezen

Remove ads