Manual of the Planes Excerpt: Astral Dreadnought

Shemeska

Adventurer
That artwork is hokey. It's not Crabapple bad, but it's way too cartoony and the perspective and placement for the arms just... it's bad.

Astral dreadnaughts as CE servitors of Tharizdun? Well that's certainly different from anything previously, and I can't fault them since it's an entirely different cosmology / reboot / whatever, but it's not really to my taste. I rather preferred them as rumored servitors of The Guardian of Dead Gods.

That and it's strange to even think of them being linked to Tharizdun, but I guess I've got too hard of an idea in my mind of what Big T is from when I wrote up his prison plane for Dragon. *shrug*

Last edited:

The picture is a little weird. Other than that, did anybody else suddenly want to see an Astral Dreadnought D&D Icon?

(I really hope they resurrect that line someday!)

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
Why exactly does the long tailed Cacodemon from Doom even bother swallowing anyone when it doesn't in any way, shape, or form seem to damage them? In fact, the only thing it seems to do is render the character unable to take damage. It's like "Hey, guy killing me, have some free invulnerability!" Or am I just reading it badly?

Shemeska

Adventurer
Why exactly does the long tailed Cacodemon from Doom even bother swallowing anyone when it doesn't in any way, shape, or form seem to damage them? In fact, the only thing it seems to do is render the character unable to take damage. It's like "Hey, guy killing me, have some free invulnerability!" Or am I just reading it badly?

Hahaha! I will swallow you and make you vanish into a horrible 8x8 dungeon chamber where you can continue to damage me! Hahahaha!... wait...

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I suspect perhaps the attacks below Swallow would continue per-normal (especially considering Orb of Dread states; targets swallowed creatures).

I also as a DM would so include people and creatures inside that demi-plane that have been driven insane because of the isolation/being driven mad from the constant psychic barrage.

ProfessorCirno

Banned
Banned
I suspect perhaps the attacks below Swallow would continue per-normal (especially considering Orb of Dread states; targets swallowed creatures).

I also as a DM would so include people and creatures inside that demi-plane that have been driven insane because of the isolation/being driven mad from the constant psychic barrage.

Ah, hadn't noticed Orb of Dread was specifically to target swallowed characters. Still, it feels odd that even then they've got two saving throws before they take any damage; the pincer claws might end up being much deadlier then the swallow.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I would say some of the danger comes in that the PCs are now in a limited space with no normal means of escape, plus no natural occurring cover (DM could add things like wreckage from Astraljammers). So your under constant barrage from the attack which is a Close Blast 3, so there is a greater likelihood of it effecting multiple PCs.

Hahaha! I will swallow you and make you vanish into a horrible 8x8 dungeon chamber where you can continue to damage me! Hahahaha!... wait...
You guys must not have noticed the Orb of Dread power, which targets swallowed creatures and can expose them to Ongoing 40 Psychic damage.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

RefinedBean

First Post
The eye in the demiplane is Insubstantial, so it's not going to be taking much damage. Meanwhile, creatures in that demiplane are being dazed and stunned every round, and won't be able to heal/help their friends on the outside.

The Dreadnought is definitely a Divide and Conquer monster. Grab...oh, let's see, the Melee Rogue and the Cleric, swallow, then mess them up at your leisure.

However...would a Divine-Challenged dreadnought take the DC damage if it uses its free demi-plane-only power?

Hrm.

Remove ads