Discussing 4e Subsystems: The PC/NPC Divide

Stalker0

Legend
The PC/NPC Divide

4th edition has made great changes on both sides of the screen. While PCs have gotten a host of new mechanics to either loathe or love, the monsters at the DMs disposal have changed just as much. Now we take a look at the enemies our players face, and the decisions that are behind their design.

The New Paradigm: NPCs are different
Good Dms have always recognized that npcs don’t “have” to follow the rules like PCs do. It’s the general covenant, PCs are the main characters, they are supposed to win in the majority of cases, but the flip side of that is that the DM gets to do whatever he wants to challenge the PCs. That’s a blanket statement with plenty of exceptions (which should be argued in a different thread if desired), but it’s a basis that underpins the npc creation process.
3rd edition gave the DM plenty of tools when creating and using monsters and npcs, but for the most part they were the same tools that players had. More attacks with high BAB, grapple rules, feats, spells, etc. Now many monsters had “unique” abilities, but for the most part the rules were the same for PCs and NPCs alike, so much so that one of the fun things about 3rd edition was you could create pcs from a host of different monster races.
4th edition had an entirely different approach to monster design, now the “challenge” was the only true factor in deciding monster stats. A 20th level monster needed to have X attacks, Y defenses, and Z hitpoints to be considering a credible 20th level threat. Whether a PC would one day play the race had no factor, nor did the races stats. A 20th level monster could do X not because of some equation of strength, BAB, and feats…but simply because it was a 20th level monster.

From the standpoint of challenging the PCs, this is a far superior way of modeling monsters. It especially plugs the hole among high level monsters. In 3rd edition, high level monsters were often glass cannons, capable of quickly killing the party if they were not themselves killed just as quickly. In 4th, every monster level can be tailored to expected PCs, and all monsters can be adjusted to fit the basic mold. However, this system is not without its flaws, and will go more into the side effects in the next section.

The Stereotypes of 4e PCs and NPCs and Player Expectations

Once PCs and NPCs had different creation rules, it was inevitable that fundamental differences would appear between them, and they can be summarized (with the inevitable exceptions) as follows:
PCs:
1) Have Low Hitpoints
2) Are “plucky” (able to recover hitpoints readily and frequently)
3) PCs can come back from unconsciousness
4) Have weak basic attacks
5) Have high damage when using powers
6) Power depends somewhat on how many fights they have encountered (dailies)
7) Power starts out strong and tends to grow weaker over the course of the fight.
8) Have the ability to “nova” (can burn more than normal resources in a single fight).

NPCS:
1) Have High Hitpoints
2) Limited ways to recover hitpoints
3) Often have strong basic attacks
4) Monsters die at unconsciousness
5) Have lower damage
6) Power stays somewhat constant through the fight.
7) Often has “endless power” (rechargeable powers).
8) Limited or no nova ability.
9) Has powers and abilities that are often drastically different than PCs.

These stereotypes introduce new player expectations (and disappointments) when facing monsters. One thing I’ve noticed in my group is that players tend to feel monsters are “better” than PCs. At the low levels, we always joked that NPCs have a +5 DM bonus to initiative, because they always went before us. That turned out not to be a joke, if you look in the MM you’ll notice that low level monsters have very high initiative bonuses.

Now mechanically monsters are not superior to PCs because…the PCs usually win. But at least in my group, I think the perception isn’t that PCs win because they are “better”, its they win because they are more stubborn. This often stems from the fact that monsters have a lot of hitpoints, and can take a lot of punishment, while the players rely on healing and second winds to survive their fights. Further, the players in my group will often grumble that monsters get to recharge powers while they cannot. There is an envy created by the divide. It was one thing when you faced a balor that had a 9th level spell the wizard could one day hope to have, its another when he uses a power that no PC can ever dream of having.

I think this phenomenon is especially pronounced when dealing with npcs. When it’s a monster, well…it’s a monster, they’re just crazy! When it’s a member of your same race, it’s a different matter. In 3rd edition, if a 3rd level figher faced a 3rd level figher npc, they were fighting with the same mechanics, and the best fighter (or luckiest) would win. When it came to magic items, npcs were just as reliant as pcs were. In 4th edition, this is very different. For example, the dragonborn solider has an ability to lets him reroll missed attacks (and it’s rechargeable). Further, he doesn’t rely on any magic items to ensure his attacks and defenses. No dragonborn PC gets to do that, and I think it does cause some frustration.

The Game Decisions of the Divide….more than meets the eye.

As you can tell from the previous section, I have some issues with the divide. I am not the only one; there are many threads that talk about ways to tweak monsters. However, its important to note that there is a lot more game design going on the background then I think many people appreciate.

The Effect of Focused Fire

A common idea is to give monsters less hitpoints and more damage (aka make them more like pcs). The issue with this is what I call the “focused fire effect”. The system is designed to have 5 monsters attack 5 PCs. And one of the most common good tactics is to use focused fire to kill an enemy as quickly as possible. Right now if 5 monsters attacked 1 PC, he will likely take a lot of damage, but will probably still be standing, or be unconscious but with enough hitpoints to be saved. However, if you bump up the damage of monsters, you risk hitting a threshold where those monsters can flat-out kill the PC in one round. Some groups are fine with this, but I would wager most are not.

You also have to take into account that variability is the killer of PCs. If the pcs get some lucky crits in and kill the monsters a bit earlier than normal, well the DM always has plenty more. But if the monsters get some lucky breaks, it can become a game changer. Let’s go to the previous example, and say that 2 of those monsters got crits on their rolls. Unlikely…yes. But when a party goes through enough fights such events are inevitable, and the damage of the monsters has to take this into account.

Perhaps you could account for this in other ways, you could for example say that npcs don’t get crits…but your also furthering the difference between pcs and npcs. You could give a PCs a bigger death’s window, but some people already complain that it’s too large, etc.

The Length of Combat
One complaint about 3rd edition was that combats were too short (in rounds). 4e made a number of changes to increase the length of combat, and one of those was giving npcs lots of hitpoints. Take away the hitpoints, and you decrease the number of rounds of combat. Some say they would prefer quicker combats, but that also has an effect on how useful conditions are, how powerful saving throw effects are, etc.

The Effect of Healing

How useful should healing be? If monsters do more damage, than combat healing becomes weaker. Should healing be weaker?
I could go on and on about this, but the point is that the npc sterotype wasn’t made in a vacuum; it was in part made to account for a number of these effects. Now could the system have been designed to handle these issues better? Maybe, I’ve never tried. But it’s important to say that small tweaks can often make larger changes, and monster design is the compilation of all 4e subsystems working together, one change can affect many things.

NPCs as PCs
One thing people bemoan about 4e is they no longer have the freedom to play the monsters they got to play in 3e. With time I think you will see more monster conversions into PC equivalents, but the common complaint will always be that something was lost in the conversion. That is inevitable, monsters get things PCs are not supposed to have by design, and you encounter a number of issues when you allow pcs blanket access to certain monster abilities (see the 3rd edition character optimization boards for loads of examples).

That said, I think its important when converting monsters that certain abilities have to be there to maintain the fantasy. Take the kobold for example. If the monster conversion wants to say “shifty” is a learned ability that the kobold PC didn’t learn because he was an outcast or X,Y, and Z…I can buy that. If they want to say that the PC kobold has low light vision instead of the darkvision he was born with because of balance…that’s going too far imo. I hope that as we see more conversions that sense will be kept into play, because there is a point when you strip down a monster so much to fit it in the PC shoehorn that you might as well not have converted it at all.

Conclusion…Superior Design?
The inevitable question…is it better? I think that the concept of balancing monster stats based on challenge was a solid design step, one of the best about 4e. Ultimately I’m not completely satisfied with the way they went about it, but I don’t know if it could have been done better while maintaining all of the other aspects I wanted to see in 4e. It’s a cake and eat it too question. Perhaps as 4e continues we will see monsters that break the standard mold in a smart way, as I commonly say with this system, time will tell.

yesnomu

First Post
Nice dissection of the system, per usual. I think you left out one thing, though: how utterly easy the new system makes homebrewing your own monsters. Pick appropriate powers/status effects for the level, and that's practically it. I made my own monster for an epic campaign (the Hand of Tharizdun, literally the Chained God's hand, poking at the PCs with fingers and thumb. It was a lot of fun to play) -- something I would never have dreamed of in 3.5.

Likewise, adjusting NPCs up and down levels is a snap, whereas a year ago I'd rather snap my wrist than have to choose a class/PrC to level in, figure out where saves should be at, pick spells, etc. etc.

Finally, the "magic threshold" idea is a brilliant way to give the PCs great loot without overpowering their foes. Simulationists will groan at high-level monsters getting less benefit from their magic items, but it's invisible to the players, and works seamlessly.

Monster design got a lot of thought in 4e, and it shows. It's one reason I'll never, ever DM 3.x.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Once again, the same ideas I have, expressed much more coherently. ;)

This divide is one of the real obnoxious points for me as a 4e player and DM. It's right up there with minis-centric combat as one of the things that really makes me dislike the new edition. And, I think more broadly speaking, it's one of the BIGGEST sticking points about 4e, and reaches into so many contentious design philosophies about the new edition that it's one of the poster children for what people can really hate about it.

I realize that monsters have different needs than PC's, and I'm largely OK with giving a DM metagame methods to ensure that enemies have the staying power and attributes they need to present a viable threat and a cinematic setpiece.

But I can't stand the things being so exceptionally divergent that they are basically alien to each other.

FWIW, this is a D&D-specific thing for me. FFZ, for instance, has no problem with monsters being dramatically different from PC's, but even FFZ has monster-races, Blue Magic (monster abilities), classes that can have monsters attack for them, Charm powers that let PC's control monsters for a time, and other crossover points. It gets a pass because it's "in genre" for FFZ (it's a game based on a videogame, and commonly in a videogame, monsters are all that you'll really fight).

In D&D, I do demand a bit more verisimilitude, though. It's part of D&D's appeal to me, as someone who really gets a kick out of exploring a fantasy world. I don't really expect to explore a world in FFZ (unless that part of the world has a treasure or a dungeon or a plot point on it). In D&D, I do.

Loosing some of that transparency makes exploration a lot weaker, which makes D&D a lot less special in my eyes. I can play FFZ and get the same effect, but better.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
I quite like the divide. I find that mechanically it makes things much easier to handle as a DM. It means that the Players get unique mechanics best suited to being a PC, so it has the best of both. What is important for the DM and what is important for the Players.

I don't have any issue with them using different mechanics since well I never viewed mechanics to be the reality of the gameworld in any way. The world is built around the stories, the personalities, etc. not some mechanic in a book.

nightwyrm

First Post
What I like about 4e NPC/monster creation rules (more of a guideline really) is precisely because it allows me to create characters that are mechanically different from the PCs. It also allows me to create NPCs that are completely different from each other and don't have to follow the same rules. The generally means that I can, in theory, populate the entire game world with characters that are all mechanically unique.

I find no loss of versimilitude with this paradigm. If no NPC have to following the same rules in character creation, then no single NPC could be accused of breaking the rules, because there are no ironclad rules. I find that this is actually a more realistic representation. In the real world, people aren't "built" using the same rules. Trying to accurately model the abilities and ability progression of a soldier, a baker, a professor etc. all using the same class/skill ruleset is futile. Even two people in the same profession can have dramatically different abilities in real life. Why get so hung up on making sure everybody in a game world follow the same rules?

yesnomu

First Post
Losing some of that transparency makes exploration a lot weaker, which makes D&D a lot less special in my eyes. I can play FFZ and get the same effect, but better.
I'm confused by this. Does your character see the world in terms of game mechanics? What about PCs and NPCs working differently impairs your ability to explore a world?

The only thing I got out of your post was "I can't fight monsters with other monsters anymore", which strikes me as kind of a shallow way to look at a world. You don't need to start fights with everything you come across, you know.

Derren

Hero
You don't need to start fights with everything you come across, you know.

Why not? According to 4E design, when it has stats then it is there to be fought by the PCs....

This divide is one of the bigger things I don't like about 4E because it breaks versimilitude in a big way and is a major reasons for why I consider 4E to be more of a tabletop game than an RPG.

Last edited:

Very good analysis, Stalker0. As usual. Unfortunately, I still have to spread some XP around before handing some to you again! :(

Your observations on how changing hit points and damage values of monsters are accurate and very important. The amount of damage taken per attack and per round affect the "value" of healing. I haven't experimented much yet, but I think, from my experiences so far, doubling damage and halving hit points will probably be too swingy (and overall, too deadly). But maybe 25 % less hit points and +33 % damage could work for some monsters. (If C: Combat Power: HP x Damage = C => 3/4 HP x 4/3 Damage = C)
Maybe particular Solos and Elites.

I am mostly a fan of the NPC/PC divide, since it just is more useful for playing.

I know that Savage Species and the LA/ECL rules were a big "hit" in some way, but looking at the numbers given by these systems, I think that most non-humanoid monsters didn't seem to get good results. The "problem" of 4E might be that every monster (even humanoid) ones have a special ability that makes them a little non-standard. But as monsters, it is easier to balance them for their level with their full package of abilities, while adding class abilities can change around this. This doesn't make it exactly easier to recreate monsters as PC races.
But Savage Species and the accompanying rules weren't created together with the 3.0 core rules. They came later, as a supplement, after we had some experience with the game. Maybe there will be a 4E savage species, that will give more rules to make monstrous races work. The design space of the multiclass rules, racial feats, power-swapping and similar things are just getting started to be explored, and there might be a few innovations yet to come.

Some things you didn't address specifically:
I think the Minion/Elite/Solo categories are a good addition to the game, and the combat roles for monster are also a very useful tool.
While level is still the primary measure by which we describe difficulty of monsters, the roles allow you to make certain predictions on how well your party will fare against these monsters (particularly if you are not playing a standard party). And they also provide a useful tool to build encounters that are interesting and challenging (and the latter not just due to the levels, but also the enemies composition).

Conclusion…Superior Design?
The inevitable question…is it better? I think that the concept of balancing monster stats based on challenge was a solid design step, one of the best about 4e. Ultimately I’m not completely satisfied with the way they went about it, but I don’t know if it could have been done better while maintaining all of the other aspects I wanted to see in 4e. It’s a cake and eat it too question. Perhaps as 4e continues we will see monsters that break the standard mold in a smart way, as I commonly say with this system, time will tell.
This is very hard to judge, because it also depends on your priorities and goals. I think the system does what it aims to do very well, and I think it does it better then 3E achieves its goals.
But do you agree with all the goals? Or do you agree with the "non-goals" (like PC/NPC transparency)?
I think the system works very well for creating and running monsters. For me as a DM, it is a major boon. For me as a player, it so far has provided me with very interesting challenges. In both roles, I love how race specific abilities make fights against monsters of that race unique, and it is a very interesting change of pace from 3E, where the classes slapped onto humanoids was that made them unique (but not really, because a Kobold Sorcerer is not that different from a Goblin Sorcerer).

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
While monsters can, I think, be designed pretty much any way the game system or the individual DM wants (in part because monsters aren't there to be played as PCs anyway, so as long as they're consistent with themselves it really doesn't matter), to me the problems arise when NPCs and PCs of the same race (e.g. Elf or Human) follow different rules...mostly dealing with consistency:

1. What if an NPC suddenly becomes a PC, or at least a party member? This can easily happen - party meets a foe, but charms it instead of killing it; it sticks around after the charm wears off because it has managed to fit in, and runs with the party for several adventures. Does it have to be redesigned? And if so, where's the internal consistency in that?

2. How do you handle situations where NPCs fight each other while the PCs watch? Do the rules change once PCs get involved? Again, if they do, where's the internal consistency?

While Stalker0's analysis is very good, I think it starts one step after the original problem is in place: it accepts without challenge the 3e-4e paradigm of overly-complex PC design. If you simplify PC design, then having simple-while-internally-consistent NPC/monster design is a snap.

Lanefan

WalterKovacs

First Post
While monsters can, I think, be designed pretty much any way the game system or the individual DM wants (in part because monsters aren't there to be played as PCs anyway, so as long as they're consistent with themselves it really doesn't matter), to me the problems arise when NPCs and PCs of the same race (e.g. Elf or Human) follow different rules...mostly dealing with consistency:

1. What if an NPC suddenly becomes a PC, or at least a party member? This can easily happen - party meets a foe, but charms it instead of killing it; it sticks around after the charm wears off because it has managed to fit in, and runs with the party for several adventures. Does it have to be redesigned? And if so, where's the internal consistency in that?

It is possible to have an NPC that is with the party, however it continues to be an NPC, which means it has more HP, but fewer surges, etc. If it does become a PC, it's a matter of whether it is possible for it to be a PC. A human wizard type would gain powers the NPC may not have used, since they get fewer options as an NPC to streamline combat. It isn't that they didn't have that extra at-will ... it's just they didn't use it. For the powers the PCs don't have access to ... it's up to the DM whether or not to allow it for a PC. It may turn what was an encounter power to a daily power (since NPCs don't actually have daily powers since they aren't expected to fight multiple fights in the same day under normal situations).

As for same race/class but different powers ... it can be that they received different training. Why the PCs can't gain access to that power? A difficult process of training that requires you be trained since birth vs. retraining, to get access to that power.

2. How do you handle situations where NPCs fight each other while the PCs watch? Do the rules change once PCs get involved? Again, if they do, where's the internal consistency?

They have rules for NPCs fighting amongst themselves in the gladiator article (similarly PCs fighting each other). Basically, the NPC has more HP instead of healing surges ... and so if they fight each other, they don't have to follow any special rules except for the DM perhaps "shaping" the combat to suit the needs of challenging the party ... but there is nothing that requires NPC on NPC violence to follow special rules.

The major difference between PCs and NPCs is that PCs are expected to have multiple encounters per day and be in the thick of things for many days. MOST NPCs will be in one fight, and that's it. So, daily powers, healing surges they have a limited access to during the fight and other "resources" that the PCs have to manage don't "fit" for the NPC. Thus they get a small number of cool powers instead of a ton of powers they may not be able to all use before they die, they get a lot of hit points instead of having to use surges to keep themselves alive, etc. Ultimately an NPC's at-will power will see less play at the table than a PCs daily power in the long run. Similarly, the NPC power has to work well against the PCs, while the PCs have a lot of different NPCs to go up against ... so versatility is great for the PCs ... not so much for NPCs.

Remove ads