"Heroic Worlds" by Lawrence Schick (1991)

grodog

Hero
#14 is mentioned on page 102 in the main I6 Ravenloft entry, and reiterated on page 416 under the listing of the Strategists' Club Awards (more properly the Lake Geneva Strategists' Club Awards). Here's the blurb in the book:

Strategists' Club Awards: Annual awards selected by the members of Lake Geneva's Strategists' Club; after the first few years they were effectively the Dragon Magazine's annual best-game awards. (They were eventually displaced by the Gamers' Choice Awards.) Note that in the late 1970s, role-playing rules were still considered a subset of miniatures rules.

The Gamers' Choice Awards were voted upon by RPGA members, FYI. The specific award is listed as "Outstanding Play Aid" too.

I don't see anything in HW that would substantiate the reference in #31, so I'd remove that second citation, Kevin.

grodog

Hero
The sentence for citation #31 from the wiki article states:

wikipedia on RL said:
While following the Hickmans' outline for the module, most of the writing was done by David "Zeb" Cook, Jeff Grubb, Harold Johnson and Douglas Niles, each of whom worked on their own section[10][31]

but there's nothing in the page 102 entry that corroborates that the designers each worked on their own section. The page 102 entry in HW reads:

Gang-written just before deadline by the whole TSR design staff.

but there's nothing that specifically speaks to specific named designers each working on their own section.

Heroic Worlds is a great resource.

And one that I'd dearly love to see updated again, one day....

Thondor

I run Compose Dream Games RPG Marketplace
I wish I had been able to get my hands on Heroic Worlds when I was working on a paper for university. Ah, well.

I believe the Fantasy Roleplaying Games Bible has an a brief discussion of Ravenloft . . . Would that be useful for the wikipedia article? (I'll admit that I havn't looked at the wiki article yet)

Last edited:

Remove ads