What makes a magic item interesting? - Page 3

What's on your mind?

Poll: What makes a magic item interesting?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    CreativeMountainGames.com COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Mark
    My communities:

Can Other include both Shininess and Jingliness?
    Check out 30 Things Can Happen! A System-Free Sourcebook for Fantasy RPGs.

Follow on CMG Google Group, Facebook, Twitter @MarkCMG, and the Creative Mountain Games website, the Grymvald Gazetteer (Campaign Setting) website, and

"Griffins & Grottos" - MF WARS (Medieval Fantasy Wargame and Roleplaying System) & "Surcoat" - MF CMG (Medieval Fantasy Combat Miniatures Game) website.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Raven Crowking
    My communities:

I voted "other" as I believe it is an interesting combination of the factors you listed, rather than any single factor, that makes a magic item interesting.

RC
    No longer associated with this site

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Reviews
    Read 2 Reviews

Ignore Jhaelen
    Uniqueness: If the item allows you to do something you couldn't do any other way, then it's interesting.

Versatility/usability.

If it has a single use then it needs to do it better than anything else. If it has a function that can be used for many various things, then it will often outshine single function items in terms of interest.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore SKyOdin
    I voted history/background. But that really isn't it. Making an item intersting involves a combination of factors in my mind.

First off, a magic item needs a name to be interesting. As long as a magic item is called a +2 Flaming Longsword, it will never transcend its stats. Once the sword is given a name, such as "Pyre" or "Flametongue" or "The Torch of Mars" or something like that, it begins to have an identity. From there, it is a matter of building on that identity, until the magic item is memorable and interesting.

In my opinion, a good magic item is an NPC into itself, even if it isn't intelligent. Like a memorable NPC, a good magic item may have a back-story, memorable personality quirks, distinctive features, and so on. An interesting physical description for the weapon helps a lot. A magic sword that quivers if it is covered in blood for too long is also interesting.

Also like an NPC, a magic item can be made more memorable and interesting depending on how it is introduced and how it works into the story. A magic item that is given to a PC as a symbol of the princess's undying love has more sentimental value to a player than the same item found in a dragon hoard. The famous magic sword that can only be wielded by someone of a certain bloodline (which serves as proof that a PC is a member of that bloodline) has an indispensable story role.

In summation, it takes a similar kind of effort to make a +2 Longsword into an interesting and memorable item as it does making a Level 5 Lawful Neutral Human Fighter into an interesting and memorable character. As an alternative analogy, making a magic item interesting is like making a dungeon or city memorable or interesting.

I guess that my final answer is that a magic item needs personality, charm, and character in order to be memorable.

5ever
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Gygax MagazineI Defended The Walls!

Ignore TerraDave
    My communities:

Usefull is a necassary but not sufficient condition for an item to be interesting.
    A semi-brief History of D&D and some other RPGs: Part 1: 1967-1979 Part 2: 1980-1989

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Cadfan
    I voted "unique." Magic items rarely inspire me. They're just not what I play the game for. I prefer items to either be generic bonuses I can forget about, or, to be unique and plot relevant.

I also like iconic items that players keep for their entire careers, and which can be repositories for iconic player abilities.

Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore CleverNickName
    My communities:

For me, it is the story behind the magic item that makes it interesting. Even a simple ring of invisibility can be epic if it has a proper backstory and purpose.
    - CleverSignature

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

Ignore FireLance
    My communities:

Since the thread that spawned this one got bumped, and the discussion there has turned to magic items, I thought I'd give this one a re-airing as well.

If you've posted in this thread already, has anything happened in the last six months to make you change your mind?

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

Ignore Ed_Laprade
    I seem to have missed this the first time around. Voted useful, because, as someone said upthread, if it isn't than its just a 4000 GP paperweight. However, I quite agree with everyone who said it needs more than just one aspect. I love me some Wands of Wonder, but if they couldn't be useful as often as not, I would never bother with them.
    Scrag 'em all and let the gods sort 'em out!

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast