Grand Theft Auto IV on PC - Securerom Problems?

So, finally GTA IV is available for PC. So I happily pick it up, install it, and get a message
[sblock]
Das Sicherheitsmodul konnte nicht ordnungsgemäß aktiviert werden.
Das Programm kann nicht ausgeführt werden (6000).
[/sblock]
that apparently indicates that SecureRom is messing with me and blocks me from using GTA IV.

Anyone had this problem and found a fix? (Keep EN World rules in mind - nothing illegal. And of course, just giving the game back to where I bought it is an option, but one I don't particularly like, because I want to play the game, not my money *insert expletive here*!)

Did I mention I HATE intrusive copy-protection schemes that fail to work? I don't want to be a software pirate! I have enough money to spend on games, and I want to support the guys making good games! Grrrrr....

Last edited:

possum

First Post
Sadly, it seems as if the industry is getting extremely paranoid about this kind of thing, and possibly rightfully so.

I just think it's a complete shame that the measures that the company goes to ends up preventing people from actually playing it. On the outside looking in, it's kind of funny in a frustrating way.

Have you contacted the company regarding your problem?

Sadly, it seems as if the industry is getting extremely paranoid about this kind of thing, and possibly rightfully so.
They can fear all they want, but they need to create a copy protection that actually works with their customers. Otherwise they have just spend money on developing a software, spend money on buying a copy protection software, and made no money on customers because no one can actually use it.

If they wanted to make no money, they could as well just have not spend money on copy protection. (or developing the product in the first place)

What is worse, they are giving people even a "legitimately feeling" reason to search for methods to break their protection. Every cracker has now a perfectly good excuse: "No, I didn't intend my crack to be used by anyone not owning the software! I jut did it to help those poor honest customers with issues with the copy protection!"

Rackhir

Explorer
The error message isn't specific, but it is possible that they may be "region coding" things, so if you have a non-"German" version of GTA IV, that they might be blocking you on that basis.

The error message isn't specific, but it is possible that they may be "region coding" things, so if you have a non-"German" version of GTA IV, that they might be blocking you on that basis.

Well, I've installed the patch and after the second try, it eventually let me activate the game. Unfortunately, I don't get any further now.

My new error message is:
GTA IV: SCHWERWIEGENDER FEHLER: WS10
[sblock=Translation]
GTA IV: Fatal Error: WS10
[/sblock]
Still quite useless, and so far research on the web hasn't helped me. It is not a region-code problem, since I bought it in a German store with a German package.

possum

First Post
They can fear all they want, but they need to create a copy protection that actually works with their customers. Otherwise they have just spend money on developing a software, spend money on buying a copy protection software, and made no money on customers because no one can actually use it.

If they wanted to make no money, they could as well just have not spend money on copy protection. (or developing the product in the first place)

What is worse, they are giving people even a "legitimately feeling" reason to search for methods to break their protection. Every cracker has now a perfectly good excuse: "No, I didn't intend my crack to be used by anyone not owning the software! I jut did it to help those poor honest customers with issues with the copy protection!"

Oh, I agree. They should completely make a copy protection scheme that actually doesn't hurt those that actually purchased the game.

Mercule

Adventurer
Am I the only one amused by the irony of a game that consists primarily of having your avatar murder, steal, and otherwise break laws being saddled with one of the most hated copy protection schemes?

drothgery

First Post
FWIW, I've read that GTAIV PC is a pretty bad port, and if you have a PS3 or an Xbox 360, you're much better off going with one of the console versions.

FWIW, I've read that GTAIV PC is a pretty bad port, and if you have a PS3 or an Xbox 360, you're much better off going with one of the console versions.

If I had a console, I would have sure done that. But I am not really hot on getting a console. As long as their are still decent PC games, I will rely on that.

Remove ads