[CC3] jaerdaph's CC3 Maps, Dungeons, Floorplans etc...

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I've Got The Blues... (or, Be True to Your School)

Lately, I've been obsessed with matching the classic "Old School" blue used in the original TSR AD&D module maps as closely as possible. The blue I'm using now is, well, garish and a little rough on the eyes - I blame my choice of tacky neon colors on the Caribbean half of my gene pool. I've been asking around (unsuccessfully) for Pantone colors and hex numbers, did some experimenting with scans and the "eyedropper" tool, and came up with an RGB color in CC3 by customizing the palette that I think best matches the original TSR maps.

Here are poster maps of Level 2 and Level 7 of the Castle of the Mad Archmage. I've (slowly) been cleaning up the maps made prior to Level 7 to improve the look and fix any errata or mistakes that may have crept in. These will eventually make it into the CotMA PDF (not necessarily in this color - but the improved maps w/ errata fixes certainly will). I've also started experimenting with the new anti-aliasing tools in CC3 (from the latest patch 8) as well.

Any thoughts are appreciated. B-)

Edit: I am not sure why these files are being posted at smaller dimensions than the previous poster maps as well as with larger file sizes - the files on my computer are closer to 250 KB on my computer before I load them to EN World (and the dimensions are larger too). Either EN World is altering them, or CC3 is doing something wonky when I generate the PNGs using the new anti-aliasing tools. I ran these through Fireworks first though before posting... Anyhow, I need to look into it more.

Edit: Images removed 4/23/2010 because they are out of date.

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
I accidentally Google Image searched "www.enworld.org" tonight, and on the first page of results, I was surprised to see not one but two of my Castle of the Mad Archmage maps pop up:

www.enworld.org - Google Search

I am truly humbled.

The maps for levels 9, 10 and 11 continue to progress, so there's more coming soon - I promise! B-)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
The latest edition of The Castle of the Mad Archmage is now up at Greyhawk Grognard:

Greyhawk Grognard: Castle of the Mad Archmage April Release Now Available!

This version now takes you from Levels 2 through 11 of Joe Bloch's megadungeon. In preparing for this release, we did some extensive cleaning up of the cartography, making most of the poster maps I've previously posted in this thread out of date. To make sure everyone has the latest and greatest, I've removed all the old images above and will be replacing them with new ones using the latest versions of the maps as soon as I can.

A note about the Undermountain style maps - since these are a little more detailed and harder to edit once they are done, I've decided to hold off on redoing these (or making new ones) until The Castle of the Mad Archmage reaches its conclusion. I apologize for the wait, but it was just getting to be too time-consuming keeping track of so many maps while trying to create new ones.

For those of you new to The Castle of the Mad Archmage, it's basically a megadungeon inspired by Gary Gygax's original Castle Greyhawk. It's the perfect complement to Gary Gygax's Castle Zagyg: The Upper Works published by Troll Lord Games and takes off where that out of print and discontinued product line left off. If you don't have Castly Zagyg, fear not! The Mad Demigod's Castle by Rath has you covered for Level 1 and complements The Castle of the Mad Archmage nicely (I should know, I helped Rath out with the maps for that as well!)

Stay tuned for new maps!

Remove ads