Wrath of the River King - Wolfgang Baur's Open Design

JoeGKushner

First Post
Looks interesting. But the whole 3rd/4th thing is troublesome.

For example, if I plunk down the $25, if it goes with an edition I'm not interested in, you get a refund but then Paypal takes their cut. Not a huge loss or anything but I'd want to know what edition it's going down before I support it.

I guess it's a chicken and egg thing.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Wolfgang (or would you prefer Mr Baur, I can never figure out how to address someone I've never met?),

I want to make sure my earlier comments are understood. I have no problem with your business model, I just wouldn't do it that way. I think it limits your income. I'd really like to get my hands on your most recently completed project, but was unaware the deadline was that close. I was considering what to do, and then it was closed.

As a patron, I don't know why I'd want to keep other people from experiencing something fun. That would not increase my fun, but others do get some feeling of something from exclusivity. I understand that.

I'm pretty close to upping for this next one, but I'm pretty sure the 3.x people will win the vote, I'll lose some paypal money (not much, but some), and still not have access to your last project (being able to buy that one and get the next one would be one reason I'd sign up).

I have no idea why some people get so hot over this. I just see it as a missed opportunity, for you to make a sale, and for me to have more fun with my 4E group. Good luck with your next project.

Filcher

First Post
I'm not sure but I think they refund your $$$ if your project doesn't get funded. Best check with the website to be sure, though.

Monkey King

Explorer
For example, if I plunk down the $25, if it goes with an edition I'm not interested in, you get a refund but then Paypal takes their cut. Not a huge loss or anything but I'd want to know what edition it's going down before I support it.

Actually, PayPal *doesn't* take their cut. Refunds are always 100% back to you, no fees charged as long as the refund is in a timely way.

We'll know the edition and I'll be doing full refunds for those who didn't get their pick, no worries there.

I think it limits your income. I'd really like to get my hands on your most recently completed project, but was unaware the deadline was that close. I was considering what to do, and then it was closed.

I think Wolfgang thinks it does too. However, he's a man of his word. So once having set off with this model, he's sticking with it. There have been many suggestions about how to make the project work and be globally accessible to all. So far, the value to patrons seems to be early participation and shaping the design, but there's also value to exclusivity. I think given that he's a full-time working guy during the day, this does enable the one tricky thing about many of these projects. By paying in advance, there's adequate funding to send it forward. One of the only ways to do that is with patronage and exclusivity.

The one "fix" idea I personally like caters to the collector: after a certain amount of time, like two years, the project would become available for purchase to everyone. Please note: I do not speak for Open Design LLC and there's no indication that this will be implemented. I'm just making conversation.

Remove ads