Underdark Trading Post contents...(possible Thunderspire spoilers)

Soel

First Post
Ok, Thunderspire Labyrinth...

Players just ransacked the Grimmerzhul Trading Post. Now, these Duergar trade in the Seven Pillared Hall, a sort of neutral trading spot for surface dwellers and underdark denizens. Often, they deal with the mages who run the Hall, and several underdark societies presumably.

The book mentions of actual goods are vague. Poisons, check. Mundane utensils, check. I could see some crazy drug running, perhaps. They also dealt in slave trade (no slaves currently, though.) But what other goods might such a place have? Any ideas are much appreciated!

Jack99

Adventurer
Rare gems and metals that maybe only the duergar have access to. There could also be things from the "normal" world, which the duergar have bought and still not moved back to their home town. Maybe they like fine wines, corn or other things that you can't grow in the Underdark.

SlyFlourish

SlyFlourish.com
Supporter
Probably a few strange artifacts that they pilfered from the Thunderspire Labyrinth as well. Large demonic statues and idols. Maybe something to give them a clue about Paldimar.

My group ended up turning it into their own little shop and the whole Seven Pillared Hall turned into Deadwood. They started a business, used the business to make life better for the pigeon-holers and began a rivalry with Grendar of Grendar's Curios and Relics.

Right now they're stuck in the Pyramid of Shadows so I haven't decided what the seven pillared hall is going to be like when they get back but I'm guessing it will continue to be their base of operations for the rest of the campaign.

thundershot

Adventurer
HA! My group hasn't started it yet, but in KotS, they cleaned out the Kobold lair behind the waterfall and turned it into a base. They're even going to hire dwarven miners to excavate it even more. I'm not going to try to stop them, since it adds to the fun, but it woudln't surprise me if my group tries to take over the shop in Thunderspire... heh.

Chris

Soel

First Post
Thanks for the responses so far, guys.

I forgot the book also mentioned weapons, but I think I'll stick with mundane ones, or at least, nonmagical ones. Mebbe some cave fisher shields or something.

Any underdark drug ideas? Plenty of toadstool/fungi that could really mess someone up rightly.
Someone has a thread here about using residuum as a sort of drug. I dig it...

Ydars

Explorer
Hi Soel,

How about these for some ideas for Duergar treasures.

Poisons;

Arsenyl bolts. These black cross-bow bolt-heads are tempered with high levels of arsenic, both to improve the properties of the alloy and also because the metal is intrinsically poisonous. However, if handled without gloves, the bolts can poison the user slowly. The soft metal means that the bolts can only be used once, but do ongoing poison damage after a hit. There could also be blades made of this metal but they would have a high chance of breaking and so are best used as ambush weapons (no breakage chance if used during surprise round and do ongoing poison damage).

Lavamoss spores; Lavamoss draws energy from hot rocks rather than light. The spores produce acid when they come into contact with a surface warmer than 20'C as part of the way the spores normally attach themselves to hot rock to complete their life cycle. This is usually only useful as an ingested poison as lavamoss spore germination takes about 10 minutes. The spores are easily secreted into food or drink and do 10 damage for 5 rounds (save ends). The spores can also be used to weaken stone if used in high amounts and the stone is warm.

Mistwine; popular with slavers, mistwine causes temporary amnesia lasting 3-5 days (save on imbibing and every 2 days afterwards; save ends this effect in 1 hour). During this time most people are compliant, fearful and unable to use any powers, spells or abilities.

Rustwrack juice; a liquid extracted from an underdark fungus pulp causes damage to metal objects, as if a rust monster had attacked them. Can be thrown in combat as a spash weapon to destroy metal objects incl weapons and armour. There is a danger of user destroying their own armour on a fumble.

Deathcandle; a favourite of assassins, this candle is made of wax of two types. The first (upper) part is normal wax, so that the candle will burn for about 15 minutes with no ill effects on anyone, but the lower portion of the candle contains a poison, extracted from an underdark fungus, that vapourises very easily, to form a cloud of death. This poison is released into the air and fills an area up to 50 feet in radius once the candle burns down to the second region. The first save failure slows and knocks anyone inhaling it prone, the second leads to unconciousness and the third leads to death.

Other candles might also be used to capture and incapacitate but not kill and might be the tools of slavers again.

Items;

Poisonous centipede eggs; this box of six "jewels" appears to be a collection of semi-precious stones but is in fact a clutch of underdark centipede eggs that will hatch as soon as they are brought up to the temperature of warm flesh. The most common time for this to happen is when a backpack containing them is put near the camp fire............

Ball-bearing weapons; this set of 1 inch diameter metal balls is each inscribed with a Duergar rune and are in fact magical. Each will transmute into a mundane, non-magical tool or weapon or back into a ball when the user speaks aloud the rune-sound inscribed on the ball. There are the following ball-bearings;

1) Warhammer
2) Anvil
3) Axe
4) Halbard
5) Tower shield
6) Large shield
7) Throwing axe
8) Dagger

Box of metal ingots; the ingots can be made into items that weigh one half the normal value.

Set of metal stamps; this set of metal punches enables anyone to mark metal ingots with the crest of a number of reputable surface mining companies and so pass off underdark merchandise as legitimate. The punches are all forgeries.

Chest of blanks; this small chest contains what appear to be 500 featureless coins made of black tarnished metal. In fact, the chest causes all gold placed within it to build up a chemical layer disguising it from casual observation. It takes about a week to form the oxide layer and is a valuable way of disguising precious metals. The gold is easily cleaned by washing it in alcohol.

Enjoy!

MortalPlague

Adventurer
Poisonous centipede eggs; this box of six "jewels" appears to be a collection of semi-precious stones but is in fact a clutch of underdark centipede eggs that will hatch as soon as they are brought up to the temperature of warm flesh. The most common time for this to happen is when a backpack containing them is put near the camp fire............

I am definitely going to use this. Fantastic!

Ydars

Explorer
Soel; if you give us some idea of what you are after, and if any of the above fit, then I can come up with more.

Mortalplague; Enjoy! I was born evil.

Remove ads