The Depthworld - An "Underdark" for the Shifting Seas

JoeNotCharles

First Post
I do like the idea that Daunton actually has a foundation like a normal isle, though, since it adds weight to why we deal with it as the "main isle".

I agree.

I think there should be one known (or I should say "rumoured") entrance to the Underdark from Daunton that gets written up into the wiki, and the other isles may have weird transitive connections that can be added later. (You KNOW the Valley of Bone has to have a big underworld - call it Xibalba. I wonder if it connects up to Depthworld somehow?)

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
Xibalba sounds like a really cool idea, Joe. Very fitting for the Valley of Bone. It might connect to the Depthworld through the Shadowfell or somesuch instead of through a physical connection?

So I'm wondering, has anyone/is anyone going to write these suggestions and ideas in the wiki?

ukingsken

First Post
I'm certainly up for writing it in as long as its not stepping on anyones toes. I got a lot of time during the day at work right now lol. But I just want to make sure we all agree on whats going into the wiki, so let me see if I got it pegged.

1) Daunton has at least some sort of foundation like a regular island, which is why it's the main island, and is rumored to have a physical connection to the depthworld.

2)The depthworld is a dark place, no one really knows anything about. Because of this level of mystery we have lotsa of leeway later on, say when Genasi are introduced as playable to fit them in.

3) For flavor reasons that should be obvious, the valley of bone has a large underworld called xibalba, with connections to depthworld, although I would say not physical. In the wiki it would probably suffice to say something like, "The valley of bones is rumored to have strong mystical ties to depthworld through the passages and caves that fill xibalba."

What does everyone think? Is that a fairly open and fair reading of whats been posted here?

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I would just say that, perhaps for now at least, it might be wise to write anything that's going into the wiki about this as rumor and barely-supported speculation, so that things are still open for whatever people may or may not want to do with it. I think hinting heavily at certain things (like Daunton having a foundation) is fine, but writing in the wiki "Daunton is a normal island with a normal, physical connection to the ocean floor" could be against the intent of the setting to leave things open and mysterious.

Maybe it's just me, but I like the idea that things which are in the wiki might be more of what 'experts' in the setting (that is, the characters) postulate and theorize, or the popular rumours about things, rather than hard objective fact - which in a setting like this seems hard for the characters residing in the setting to obtain.

Last edited:

ukingsken

First Post
I think you're right. So then I'll write it into the wiki from that perspective, as experts assuming or theorizing instead of concrete knowledge. Although the idea of a campaign revolving around someone severing Dauntons physical ties and setting it adrift in the shifting seas makes me warm inside.

ukingsken

First Post
I made an edit to the Wiki, with an additional page set up for further information at a later date. If anyone would like to take a look through it and see what we can fix up I'd appreciate it.

covaithe

Explorer
Can you post a link, please? One of my minor gripes with the wiki is that it's hard to find specific pages if you don't know exactly where to look. One more thing to do in my copious free time...

ukingsken

First Post
No worries, it's like I told Covaithe when I joined up, my goal is to offer up all the creative D&D mojo I have been bottling up since my last physical game, which was way back in like.... 2002?? Other then the occasional session here and there anyway.

Remove ads