Leif's Homebrew 4E, OOC1

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Hmmm. That is interesting. I didn't have access to the FR Player's Guide when I made Aimhirghin (and still don't) but I'll try to keep that power source in mind, at least when he's using that power. An Academy Award, huh? They like me . . . they really like me!

Walking Dad

First Post
From the IC thread:
OOC: If Tarrk wants to take advantage of the power just used by Aimhirghin, he will need to spend his next Standard Action by using his Second Wind to spend a healing surge (that will restore the usual number of hp, +4 extra from Aimhirghin's spell). That means no attack from Tarrk next round, if he does this.

As I understood the power (and the other leader healings), 'can spend' means, that spending the surge is part of this action. Did I got this wrong? We played it like this in other games.

But Leif, it's your call.

Leif

Adventurer
From the IC thread:
As I understood the power (and the other leader healings), 'can spend' means, that spending the surge is part of this action. Did I got this wrong? We played it like this in other games.
But Leif, it's your call.
Son of a gun, WD, you're right! PH, p. 293 says, "When a power heals you, you don't have to take an action to spend a healing surge." So I guess it just becomes a free action for you this round. Disregard my previous post and give the grubby dragonshield hell! :D

But, as I understand it, you still have to spend one of your healing surges to effect the healing enhanced by the spell. Now, I believed that there are some spells that grant you hp healing where you get back hp equal to (the effect of a healing surge + an amount for the spell) without actually spending a healing surge. Anyone know more about this, preferably with page cites to the relevant book?

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Dark Pact Warlock info for Aimhirghin

I'll just copy this stuff straight from FRPG p. 35:

"Drow who are drawn to arcane power frequently follow the path of the warlock rather than that of the more scholarly wizard. As a manipulative race whose society is based in crafting carefully weighted deals with dangerous powers, the drow found it natural to shape their own form of warlock pact magic. The dark pact created in the drow cities of the Underdark has gradually moved toward the surface, gaining refinements from warlocks of the surface races. The most powerful dark pact warlocks are most often drow, but humans, dragonborn, dwarves, and even eladrin have been known to master the dark pact and use it against its creators.

The warlock class is defined in the Player's Handbook. This section describes a new warlock eldritch pact available to choose from when you create a warlock.

DARK PACT. You have forged a pact with the dark beings that lurk in the shadows of the drow civilization. Spells of darkness, poison, madness, and spite fill your mind. You might turn your powers to noble ends, but you always face the temptation to enhance your spells by hurting your friends -- just a little.

SPITEFUL GLAMOR
The mere sight of you is anathema to your enemy
At-Will (Encounter for Aimhirghin) * Arcane, Implement,Psychic
Standard Action | Ranged 10
Target: One Creature
Attack: Charisma vs. Will
Hit: 1d8+Cha modifier psychic damage, or 1d12+Cha modifier damage to a target at maximum hit points. Increase damage to 2d8+Cha mod. at 21st level or 2d12+Cha mod. to a target at maximum hit points."

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Son of a gun, WD, you're right! PH, p. 293 says, "When a power heals you, you don't have to take an action to spend a healing surge." So I guess it just becomes a free action for you this round. Disregard my previous post and give the grubby dragonshield hell! :D

The logic being (I guess?) that the character who heals his teammate spent a standard action, so if the one being healed also had to spend an action that would be two actions spent for one healing . . . or something like that.

Leif

Adventurer
Sweet! Got it copied to a Word file in Aimhirghin's folder on my laptop. Thanks, Leif!
You are most welcome! Glad to help.
The logic being (I guess?) that the character who heals his teammate spent a standard action, so if the one being healed also had to spend an action that would be two actions spent for one healing . . . or something like that.
Yeah, maybe something like that. I'm not entirely sure that 'logic' has just a great deal to do with it (or with most things in D&D). Actually, what I thought was that an action is only required when a character spends the surge on his own, using his own personal power. And I don't think that there is an action required when there's a spell involved. (Of course I didn't come to that conclusion until WD straightened me out about this! Thanks, WD!)

Lou

Explorer
Elerosse calls on his Eladrin heritage and slashs deeply into the kobold in front of him with his long sword.

(sblock=action)
move action: none
standard: Melee Basic attack: STR v AC, 1[W]+STR Atk Roll: (+0 STR+3 prof+2 Combat Advantage) 25 natural 20!! Damage: 8
minor: none
(/sblock)

+0 / Str. 11

OOC: Elerosse/Lou, on a crit. you automatically deal maximum damage, see PH p. 278. You need to refigure damage, don't you? Oh, wait, Str bonus no longer applies to damage, does it? So your max is eight, then? Duhh. Nevermind.

The Melee Basic attack is STR v AC, with damage being 1[W]+STR. Note that the Strength bonus IS added to damage for this attack. It just happens that Elerosse's Strength is 11, so the bonus is +0. The [W] damage for the "longsword" (note it is one word in 4e) is 1d8. I wondered what that [W] meant from Scotley's action posts, so I had to look it up for this attack.

On a critical hit in 4e, you automatically do maximum damage IF the rolled attack would normally hit. IF the attack only hits because of the natural 20, then you roll the damage normally.

While we are discussing the Melee Basic attack, is everyone using the appropriate attack bonus for using proficient weapons? I see that each weapon has a plus number in the listing if you are proficient. The longsword is +3. I also see that some melee weapons are listed as ______ in the right hand column, meaning that it is usable one-handed. If used two-handed, the damage is +1.

I'll fill in the blank once I look the word up.

Leif

Adventurer
The word you were searching for, Lou, is Versatile. Versatile weapons can be used either one- or two-handed and gain a +1 to damage if used two-handed.

Yes, I have wondered the same thing about folks using the proficiency attack bonus, but, given some of the high bonuses that everyone has, I had assumed that everyone was doing so. Still, Lou, a reminder can only help! ;) Thanks.

And yes, a damage notation in a power of 1[w] does indeed mean that you roll the standard die for the weapon once. 2[w] means that you roll the die twice (don't roll once and double it), and so on.

Longsword has been one word for some time now. I seem to remember it being Sword, Long wayyy back in 1ed. (But, interestingly, Short Sword is 2 words. Go figger....)

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
The word you were searching for, Lou, is Versatile. Versatile weapons can be used either one- or two-handed and gain a +1 to damage if used two-handed.

Unless you're small, poor halflings, in which case you're required to hold it in both hands

Remove ads