New collaborative monster - the Na Palm

Cas Liber

First Post
OK, I am not familiar with the 4e rules enough to fill out the blanks totally, but I will flesh out an ecology and some numbers and see what others can add (I had wondered about doing this on the wiki but it seems to be fore more or less finished stuff only (?) So others are welcome to embellish and tweak.
Cas Liber
--------------

The Na Palm

Na Palms are hazardous palm trees found in warm climes. It is unclear whether they are the result of some bizarre plant/elemental chaos union or what, but they are definitely feral now and have their own ecology.

A Na Palm lives on burnt organic material. It supplies its own by dropping its coconut-sized fruit as incendiary devices, which break open and ignite in a 3x3 blast area up to 3 squares distant from the trunk. (damage to be determined). The burning gooey material is sticky and continues to burn the skin of victims until actively smothered. The trunk itself is highly resinous and resistive to fire damage. Bliunt weapons are also of little use.

Each tree is 19-30 ft high (18 + 2d6) and has 3-9 (2d4 +1) fruit.

Unexploded fruit are highly valued and can be sold for (?????) gp.

The tree is semisemtient and generally uses vibration to sense victims appraoching and will drop fruit when close enough.

OK folks, I am ready for some numbers
Cas

Last edited:

chronoplasm

First Post
I think these would actually work better as a trap than as a monster.
Either way, we need a level first before we can do anything else.

So what level do you want to put these things in? In might help if you figure out the tier first (heroic, paragon, or epic) and narrow it down from there.

chronoplasm

First Post
Na Palm Level 4 Blaster
Hazard XP 175
Trap: A semi-sentient tree at the center of a 10x10 area.
Trigger: The hazard attacks when a creature enters one of the hazard's sqares.
Attack:
Immediate Reaction Ranged
+8 vs. Reflex; 1d6+4 fire damage.
Countermeasures:
???

Cas Liber

First Post
In the old days (1e or 2e) I would have said the trunk may have (say) 40 hp before being chopped down, and takes half damage from fire and blunt weapons....now, a good way to do this in 4e?
Cas

ArtofSymmetry

First Post
Don't totally shoot me down because I'm relatively new to DnD.
But I think it'd be like.
80 Hp total, after 40 the trunk would be chopped down and it would be bloodied. And since there happens to be multiple explosive fruit attached to the top of the trunk you could create a daily power (It'd be daily because after the day is through the creature is most likely dead after the day or even Encounter is over) where when the palm tree falls, the fruit on the tree burst and it makes 4 1d6 1 close blast attacks. I do not know how to correctly write the damage reductions, but if your just typing up info for yourself it doesn't really matter does it? And if each fruit can be used like a grenade weapon that does 1d6+4 fire damage, I'd say it's a level 4 thing. (Using the magic Items table) It would be worth 840 gold, but sellable for 168. But given that it's incredibly difficult to get one You could probably multiply the buy price by 1.5 an the sellable price by 2.5. Somewhere around there. And since he's level 4 and uses vibrations give him like Tremor (20)

Mesh Hong

First Post
Well this is all a bit silly but you asked for it, so I shall provide. As always trying to give you what you asked for as much as possible.

This is a palm tree that lobs fire based coconuts, and feeds off creatures underneath its canopy. I also added an ability to drop burning leaves on people because it really needed a basic attack.

You stated that it was very tough, well with regeneration and the ability to feed off its attackers it should be reasonably tough.

I added an aura that makes it (slightly) hard to engage at range, as that is what smart people will do.

Na Palm Level 5 Elite Artillery
Large Elemental Animate (plant) XP 400

Initiative +5 Senses Perception +4; blindsight
Heat Haze (fire) aura 2; Creatures outside the aura take a -2 penalty to attack the
Na Palm; creatures entering or starting their turn inside the aura take 5 fire damage
HP 108; Bloodied 54
Regeneration 10 does not regenerate if it took cold damage in previous
turn
AC 19; Fortitude 20, Reflex 17, Will 19
Immune charm, sleep, illusion, gaze;
Resist 15 fire; Vulnerable 5 cold
Saving Throws +2
Speed 1
Action Points 1

:bmelee: Burning Leaf (Standard; at-will) fire
Reach 2 (under canopy); attack +10 vs. Reflex; 1d8+3 fire damage

:close: Feed the Tree (Minor; at-will) 1/round; necrotic; healing
Burst 2 (under canopy); only targets prone creatures; attack +10 vs.
Fortitude; 1d10+2 damage; on hit Na Palm heals HPs equal to the damage
dealt

:area: Fruit Lob (Standard; recharge :4::5::6:) fire
Area burst 1 within 5; attack +10 vs. Reflex; 3d8+3 fire damage; on hit
target is knocked prone and takes 5 ongoing fire damage (save ends)

Alignment Unaligned
Str 14 (+4) Dex 16 (+5) Wis 14 (+4)
Con 18 (+6) Int 8 (+1) Cha 8 (+1)

As I said it’s a pretty silly creature, but as a design exercise its quite amusing.

Last edited:

Mesh Hong

First Post
If you are going to have the Na Palm tree, why not go the whole hog and have a little Na Palm Monkey who lives in it?

This little fella lives off extracting the sap, eating burning leaves and also enjoys biting anything that threatens its home.

Na Palm Monkey Level 3 Skirmisher
Small Natural Beast XP 150

Initiative +6 Senses Perception +7
HP 46; Bloodied 23
AC 17; Fortitude 15, Reflex 16, Will 15
Resist 20 fire
Speed 8, climb 6

:bmelee: Monkey Bite (Standard; at-will)
Attack +8 vs. AC; 1d6+2 damage

:melee: Mobile Bite (Standard; at-will)
Monkey may move up to 6 squares and make 1 bite attack at any point,
moving away does not provoke opportunity attacks from the target

:area: Lob Fruit (Standard; recharge :5::6:) must be in Na Palm tree
Area Burst 1 within 10; attack +6 vs. Reflex; 3d8+3 fire damage; on hit
target is knocked prone and takes 5 ongoing fire damage (save ends)

Monkey Opportunist
When Monkey has combat advantage it deals an additional 1d6 damage
with its Bite attack

Tree Fighter
Monkey gains a +4 bonus to its AC and Reflex defence when in a Na Palm
tree

Alignment Unaligned
Skills acrobatics +9, perception +7, stealth +9
Str 14 (+3) Dex 17 (+4) Wis 12 (+2)
Con 14 (+3) Int 12 (+2) Cha 14 (+3)

Last edited:

Cas Liber

First Post
Wow, nice job. Tough combat by the sounds of things.

OK, to finish up -

Na Palm lore:
nature roll
DC 15 - these trees drop incendiary fruit and are resistive to fire attacks

DC 20 - these trees have nasty little monkeys which live in them, so be careful. They also have valuable fruit unexploded, which can be used as grenades, or in magical experiments.

Remove ads